MLB 2019

The Buscher

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Any good Baseball podcasts you guys like? I've been listening to The Ringer Basketball one and it's gotten me way more interested in Basketball so I'd like the same for my fave sport

Talkin' Baseball. It's by the guys that do my favorite sports podcast (Talkin' Yanks). They have done Talkin' Yanks for a few years and I think they realized they'd obviously reach a wider audience if they did a separate podcast for all MLB. One of the co-hosts, Jake Story, also does a Talkin' Knicks podcast, but you asked for a fun podcast not one where you feel depressed and wonder why you care so much for the Knicks when they don't care for you. :(

So Cleveland gets Franmil Reyes and Logan Allen from San Diego and Yasiel Puig from Cincy. Cincy gets Bauer. And San Diego gets Taylor Trammell. Those are the big pieces anyway. There may be smaller parts going somewhere. I have to be honest. I'm pissed Cashman didn't fork out a better deal than that, because that's not as big a haul for Bauer as a lot of people expected. 

14 minutes ago, Meacon said:

So Cleveland gets Franmil Reyes and Logan Allen from San Diego and Yasiel Puig from Cincy. Cincy gets Bauer. And San Diego gets Taylor Trammell. Those are the big pieces anyway. There may be smaller parts going somewhere. I have to be honest. I'm pissed Cashman didn't fork out a better deal than that, because that's not as big a haul for Bauer as a lot of people expected. 

Meanwhile, Puig is in the middle of a brawl in Pittsburgh. Somebody should tell him he got traded <_<

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Trent Buschetta said:

And there’s another blown save from Edwin Diaz.  I have no idea why there are 10 teams supposedly in on him.  He’s a complete dumpster fire.

I assume teams would want him to go in as a 7th or 8th inning guy and as an insurance policy in case their closer goes down. That's been the talk with Mychal Givens, that he's not a closer to other teams but an set-up guy.

Also, the Orioles played .500 ball in July! First time in almost 2 years that's happened.

Taylor Trammell is a weird get for San Diego given how flush they are in the OF, but maybe they're planning on flipping someone like Renfroe today.

11 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

We got someone from the Blue Jays today right? I am lazy right now and going to bed. Can one of our Jays fans do the work for me and tell me if I should be happy? :P 

David Phelps is fine. He's not expensive, and this is his comeback after Tommy John surgery. He's not going to close out games for you, but he is definitely a useful arm to have in the bullpen.

• Like 1

On one hand because of what the Yankees have in terms of prospects they weren't going to get a fair negotiation. On the other hand not biting on a trade for someone like Bauer or Robbie Ray in spite of that is downright foolish. For the Astros this is a trade you make 100% of the time. Nobody is winning a 7-game series when you have to face Verlander, Greinke, and Cole twice.

6 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

On one hand because of what the Yankees have in terms of prospects they weren't going to get a fair negotiation. On the other hand not biting on a trade for someone like Bauer or Robbie Ray in spite of that is downright foolish. For the Astros this is a trade you make 100% of the time. Nobody is winning a 7-game series when you have to face Verlander, Greinke, and Cole twice.

Game 1- Verlander

Game 2- Cole

Game 3- Greinke

Game 4- Verlander

Game 5 - Cole

Game 6 - Greinke

Game 7 (did you even make it this far?) - Verlander

Compare that with Tanaka, Paxton, German? Or maybe Happ or Sabathia? I'm not likin' them chances. 

The Blue Jays sold REAL low on Aaron Sanchez, and I think that was a huge mistake. I get that they seem to value Derek Fisher very highly, but they traded a LF prospect, a serviceable reliever in Joe Biagini, AND Aaron Sanchez in exchange for... a LF prospect. Not only that, but Fisher is out of options, which means that he'll either be on the team next year, be put through waivers with the hope that no one takes him, or he'll be moved.

We already ran into this problem with Dalton Pompey this year, being a guy that the team values greatly, who is out of options and was forced through waivers hoping that no one would claim him. Pompey's minor league assignment had more to do with injuries, but still... now we're entering the end of summer and next season with yet another outfielder out of options. It's especially bad considering that moving Gurriel away from Left Field would be disastrous, Randy Grichuk's contract basically dictates that he has to be our starting Right Fielder, and Teoscar Hernandez has pulled a Gurriel with his play in Center after completely bombing in Left. So that makes Fisher a fourth outfielder unless they move one of those guys or make the mistake of trying to put Gurriel back in the infield.

Sanchez was, according to all reports, not enough for the trade to go through, so Biagini and the prospect were added to make it happen. I firmly believe that we could have gotten more for him in the off-season, or allowed him one more season to try and turn things around, improve his stock or earn an extension. If his agent wasn't the notoriously difficult Scott Boras, I'd say that the Jays should have kept Sanchez and moved him to the Bullpen for the remainder of this season to help him get back into his groove. He's looked good the first couple of times through the lineup this year, but can't seem to get things together enough to string together quality starts. So put him in the pen, let him get his confidence back and work out those finger issues, and then try him again as a starter next season... of course, Boras flat out said that he didn't want Sanchez out of the rotation no matter what, and it probably would have caused issues there, but I still think it would have been a more productive move for the team, and could have improved the return on Sanchez in the off-season.

I'll be really happy for Derek Fisher to prove me wrong, but as of right now, that deal is just hard to stomach.