MLB 2019

The Buscher

I understand that the return seems low. I think it is a bit low. But I also can't blame the front office if they felt this was the best time to move him. The chances are actually pretty high that the dude continues to be bad the rest of the season and the value was even lower in the off season. 

I think we saw the potential of Sanchez but the dude has his best year 3 years ago. He's been one of the worst pitchers in the MLB this year. 

Yeah 2016 Aaron Sanchez is the outlier, not what he’s shown the last three years. I don’t think you can be all that upset for anyone taking Sanchez off your hands. There’s several pitchers out there that can give you the production he’s given you the last few seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Meacon said:

Yeah 2016 Aaron Sanchez is the outlier, not what he’s shown the last three years. I don’t think you can be all that upset for anyone taking Sanchez off your hands. There’s several pitchers out there that can give you the production he’s given you the last few seasons.

I'm more of the mind that they just got rid of one bad situation in exchange for another, while also giving up a reliable arm in Biagini.

If the prospect coming back wasn't Derek Fisher, but was someone with a similar upside who had remaining options, it would make way more sense to me... but like I said, Fisher specifically puts them in a situation where they either trade one of Gurriel, Grichuk or Hernandez (Teoscar's probably the odd man out there), or they risk losing Fisher for nothing by waiving him for the purposes of letting him play in Buffalo... or they trade Fisher anyways.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I'm more of the mind that they just got rid of one bad situation in exchange for another, while also giving up a reliable arm in Biagini.

If the prospect coming back wasn't Derek Fisher, but was someone with a similar upside who had remaining options, it would make way more sense to me... but like I said, Fisher specifically puts them in a situation where they either trade one of Gurriel, Grichuk or Hernandez (Teoscar's probably the odd man out there), or they risk losing Fisher for nothing by waiving him for the purposes of letting him play in Buffalo... or they trade Fisher anyways.

I could see them trading Hernandez but I also think being the 4th outfielder doesn't necessarily mean he won't get playing time. More and more teams are using the DH to rotate folks through and get some rest. 

I won’t even pretend to know the full makeup of the Blue Jays roster, but Fischer is 25, about to enter his prime, and you’ve got him for the next six years, as opposed to Sanchez who will be a free agent after next year and hasn’t shown improvement, but regression over the last few years. And you can say what you want about Biagni but bullpen arms mean bupkiss to a fourth place team, so getting someone that’s at least had “expected potential” like Fischer isn’t too atrocious. He may turn 28 in a couple years and find the talent so many scouts saw years ago. In two or three years when Toronto is ready to challenge for the East, Biagni likely won’t be worth a plug nickel anyway, and there’ll be dozens of more favorable bullpen arms to use.

• Like 1

I'm not particularly bothered by the Mets not making any moves yesterday.  Yes it further reinforces that they can't seem to make up their mind on whether to be buyers or sellers, but standing pat after the Stroman and Vargas trades was probably the right call.

To get more bullpen or bench help for an unlikely playoff run would've required offloading more prospect capital from an already depleted system.  With August trades no longer a thing, teams might start DFA'ing players to look at younger talent (such as the Rangers DFA'ing Asdrubal Cabrera today) and I'd rather potentially do that than trade any more prospects.

On the other end of it...the most heavily rumored Wheeler destination was Houston, and they got a much better pitcher in Greinke instead.  I feel like the talent they would've gotten back for two months of Wheeler wouldn't have been better than whoever they can draft with a qualifying offer compensatory pick.  And even if Wheeler accepts the QO, yes it'll eat up whatever spending money they had for the offseason but it was a terrible free agent class anyway.

As I've enjoyed the past month, I'm still not willing to getting my hopes up.  Other than a two game sweep of the Twins, they've played nothing but crap teams since the break and they lost three of four to the Giants when they were still over .500

They play the Nats and the Braves in the next week.  If the Mets get clowned in those series I think it'll expose that the recent hot stretch was more about their opponents than anything else.

It'll be a good test for them.  There's no point in making the playoffs if you can't beat any good teams.

With Cano likely out for the season, the Mets sign the recently released hometown boy Joe Panik.  I like it, he hasn't hit much this year but neither have any of the Mets' 2B and I'd much rather get a Gold Glove caliber guy out there to help out the pitching staff.

I also like the obscure fact that he played in the first game in Citi Field history.  Like, the literal first game...a St. John's/Georgetown college exhibition game that was mostly a chance to test out stadium operations in a game setting.

• Like 1