MLB 2019

The Buscher

I think the last half of that deal has the potential to be real bad, but also inflation and increasing revenues mean by the end that hit won't seem as rough as it does now. The no opt-out is key, the fact that Philly managed to get him to take it begs the question how much less were the deals elsewhere? While there is a no-trade I don't buy into it as being rock solid. Phillies might try to move it when he's at the end of his prime and maybe find a buyer desperate enough to take on the years in exchange for Philly covering some of the salary those years. Then it comes down to Bryce deciding if he wants to ride out a rebuild or not. That's of course something like 7 years down the line though.

• Like 1

What's really upsetting is...everyone knows I default to negativity with the Mets, but I was genuinely happy with their offseason moves.  Yes some of these moves were risky, but I tuned out the negative Nancies like Keith Law and tried to focus on the positives - that they actually gave a shit about operating like a big market team for the first time in a while.

And now it feels like all of those moves barely moved the needle because the rest of the division also went ham.

1 minute ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

What's really upsetting is...everyone knows I default to negativity with the Mets, but I was genuinely happy with their offseason moves.  Yes some of these moves were risky, but I tuned out the negative Nancies like Keith Law and tried to focus on the positives - that they actually gave a shit about operating like a big market team for the first time in a while.

And now it feels like all of those moves barely moved the needle because the rest of the division also went ham.

I assume they cooked it properly too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

If it’s any consolation, outside of Nola and maaaaaybe a bounce back from Arrieta, the Phils starting pitching is poo poo.

Harper to Philly...might make me change my NL allegiance :P (I'm a Yankees fan that watches the Mets when the Yanks aren't on but I also get Phillies games.) 

Also, I signed Harper and Machado to be on my team in OOTP and we never won a World Series in 3 seasons with both on the team, so...😜

Edited by Ct1021

33 minutes ago, Meacon said:

If it’s any consolation, outside of Nola and maaaaaybe a bounce back from Arrieta, the Phils starting pitching is poo poo.

It leaves a lot to be desired, but reportedly they're still trying to see if they can snag Keuchel on a deal.  Also I think they have some capital in the farm system to swing a trade in July if needed.

The idea of giving anyone a 13 year deal is ludicrous to me. Harper is great. Elite, even. I'm not disputing that. But even IF the team wins a World Series, it's pretty likely the player will regress and become a contractual albatross in the last years of the contract. (Or, worse, the duration of it...) No player's worth that. 13 years and tons of money is a lot to tie to any one player and it's a heck of a risk.

Before I realized we weren't going to do it or couldn't afford it or whatever I was hoping the Cubs would give him 10 and that was still kinda pushing it for my comfort. 13 is just too much. My kids will be out of College and I'll most likely be a Grandma before that deal ends

Keep in mind that in years 11, 12, and 13 he'll be making "only" $22 million. That is like the equivalent for a $12 million salary today, which isn't bad for a veteran.

Plus, the National League will absolutely have Designated Hitter by then, so it's not like Harper will need to be playing in the outfield, where at that age he'd definitely be a defensive liability.

Thirteen years is a lot, but if you're going to outbid the Giants, who were apparently offering ten years, then you're going to overpay. Though, honestly, his AAV is much much lower than everyone projected it to be as late as yesterday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meacon said:

Harper to Philadelphia 

They’re saying 13-years $330 million with no opt outs. 

Our long national nightmare is over. :shifty:

Seriously, though, in a few years the Phillies are going to regret that deal, and won't be able to trade him to get out of it.