EWB Fantasy Baseball: Keeper League of the Seven Keys

Gabriel

We talked about this in last year's baseball thread, so here goes.

Maxx runs a non-keeper league, and I'm going to start a keeper league for this upcoming season.

What we need are people who want to manage a team, and suggestions on what stats should be tracked.

I'm thinking of using Yahoo, as that's what we use for the NHL fantasy league, but if you guys would rather use ESPN, we can do that too.

I don't want to use divisions, to allow the best teams to make the post-season. Scoring will be done on a Head to Head, Weekly basis, with each category giving you a win, loss or draw for your record based on how you perform against your opponent that week. Lineups will be set weekly as well, to avoid people adding and dropping players in an effort to score points from all their starters every day.

Yahoo has a sizeable maximum league size, so we'll take as many players that want to play. If we end up with an odd number of teams, I'm leaning towards having a CPU team, where any trades offered would have to be approved by all members of the league, and the CPU team would be drafted with the best player available in a position that they are in need of.

I'm assuming a live draft won't work, due to the fact that we're located all over the place, but if we can swing it, that's how I'd like to do it. If not, then we'll come up with a system where you can submit your lists to me, and I will post the draft in this thread, and then do an offline draft where I assign the proper players to the proper teams. I haven't looked yet at roster makeup, but I'm leaning towards a 25 man roster, like in MLB. You'd be required to have a player at each position, five starters, five relievers and a closer. That accounts for 23 if you include DH, leaving two roster spots to fill based on what you'd like to have. I am open to suggestions though, as we can have larger rosters with bench players.

I want each team to keep all of their players each season aside from 5. Then next year, each team will have five choices in a draft of available players. Yahoo also allows the trading of draft picks, so if you guys like that idea, we can incorporate that, adding strategy to the season.

Membership:

Team 1: @Gabriel

Team 2: @Dazed and ConFORKed

Team 3: @Ms. Canadian Destroyer

Team 4: @Howdy Cloudy ?

Team 5: @Ace Berimmer

Team 6: @SeanDMan

Team 7: @The Chiksrara Special

Team 8: @Twist

Team 9: TBD

Only if we have an odd number: @RoHitman Reigns

Edited by Gabriel

24 minutes ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

What's a keeper league?

A goddamn lifelong commitment man.  You don't want to be tied down yet do ya?  You come have fun in my one season stand league bb

Just now, Maxx said:

A goddamn lifelong commitment man.  You don't want to be tied down yet do ya?  You come have fun in my one season stand league bb

I might try to do both.

2 hours ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

What's a keeper league?

The difference between a keeper league and a non-keeper league is just that, in a non-keeper league, you re-draft your team every year from the full list of players in the league.

In a keeper league, there is a pre-determined number of players that you will keep for next season. So, if we have 25 man rosters, and the league requires that you keep 20 of those players for the next season, you'll be given the option of which 5 players you want to drop at the end of the year or beginning of the next season. Then, the draft for next season is literally just to fill out the remaining spots on the rosters, and available players would be anyone who was let go, or who wasn't owned by one of the league teams.

There's more strategy involved, and it keeps everyone interested no matter where they sit in the standings. Even if you're dead last, you can trade off your top performer if you think that he's going to be unable to duplicate his season next year, and pull a couple of good younger players or maybe a star who is out for the rest of this season, and you can start building your team for the next year while you're still playing.

It's much more like a Franchise mode in a sports game, whereas a non-keeper league is like the traditional Season mode. It's one and done, and then you start fresh.

If possible, I'd like to get us to 10 teams before we start, but if we need to do year one with a smaller league, it's not the end of the world. It's just going to make it interesting if we get people wanting to join for year 2. Expansion drafts will be quite interesting if the host site allows them.

5 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I'll try it. How will we draft though? Maxx style?

How does Maxx do the draft?

I'm open to suggestions about how we do it. Ideally, a live draft would be best, but I doubt that we could make it work for everyone.

19 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

Is this the only EWB league this year?

As far as I know, Maxx is still going to be running his. His is not a keeper league though, so I figured it wouldn't be the worst to run two. I'll probably end up in Maxx's league as well.