Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Liam

6 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I don't think it's controversial, but the diehard video game fans look at me like I have two heads when I say that I'd much rather play a sports video game than one of the hundreds of story-driven games. 

I got that a lot when I ran a video game store. People would tell me that I wasn't a real gamer because I didn't pick up Grand Theft Auto V. They'd make fun of me because I hate the Call of Duty series. Then I'd ask them about the new MLB The Show, or the changes made to the NHL series, and they'd just balk at me because "those aren't real games".

Seriously? Like, get fucked.

"What do you mean, you'd rather play baseball than Dark Souls? What kind of gamer are you?" The type that has different tastes than you do, obviously... and that's okay. Or it should be.

I would frequently get into arguments with customers about that. They'd ask how Grand Theft Auto is, so I'd direct them to one of my employees who played and enjoyed it... or I would talk about the critical acclaim. Or, if the person they were buying for was under age, I would explain to them why they might not want their kid playing that game.

You don't go into a clothing store and tell the manager that they don't actually like clothing because they're not wearing whatever is considered trendy at that moment. Everyone has different tastes and opinions on things.

13 minutes ago, Rocky 2K19 said:

"Professional gaming" isn't a job. It's a hobby. Go outside!

Going outside doesn't pay the bills.

I used to have a girl who worked for me, who was consistently asking for more hours for months... and then, all of a sudden, started asking me to see if someone else would take her shifts, and eventually only wanted one shift per week. Why is that? She made more money playing video games on Twitch than I did managing the god damn store.

• Haha 1

I don't understand the want/need for wild animals that you can hunt and kill in games, and I get more frustrated every time by developers making predatory animals more and more like mindless killing machines when in reality they would run away from you in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

The Elder Scrolls games (and I guess all Bethesda games) suck. An interesting world/lore is more than spoiled by clunky controls, boring combat, repetitive quests (basically all of Skyrim is "I left something in a cave full of baddies, go and get it").

On top of that they look rubbish, glitch like hell and have some of the worst voice acting you'll ever hear.

• Like 3

I haven't played the new Read Dead yet and intend to, but the previous RDR got really boring two thirds of the way in.

The Last of Us was decent enough I suppose but also got pretty boring pretty fast.

And on the other side of the coin, "Walking Sims" have produced some of the best stories and feelings in games I've ever experienced.

Assassin's Creed IV is the best AC game.

MGS IV is the masterpiece of the MGS series. 

39 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Shadow of the Colossus is actually pretty shit. 

Oh no you didn't. I will fight you.

Anyway, hot takes.

• Red Dead Redemption II is regrettably my biggest disappointment this generation. I've never been so hyped only to be so incredibly bored by a game. I played for about 10-15 hours and loved the characters but at no point was I ever having fun whilst playing it.
  • Pokémon hasn't been good since Gen II.
  • Wind Waker is the best Zelda. Conversely, Ocarina of Time isn't as good as people think it is and barely makes it into the top 5 Zelda games 
  • Tekken is far superior to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

I will be back with a whole bunch more.

1 minute ago, Ollie said:

Anyway, hot takes.

• Red Dead Redemption II is regrettably my biggest disappointment this generation. I've never been so hyped only to be so incredibly bored by a game. I played for about 10-15 hours and loved the characters but at no point was I ever having fun whilst playing it.
  • Pokémon hasn't been good since Gen II.
  • Wind Waker is the best Zelda. Conversely, Ocarina of Time isn't as good as people think it is and barely makes it into the top 5 Zelda games 
  • Tekken is far superior to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

I will be back with a whole bunch more.

I mean the Tekken one is true.

Pokemon has had ups and downs, I'd say 5 is the best generation personally. 6 and 7 in particular are garbage, 4 wasn't great.

• I enjoyed Red Dead 1 more than I've enjoyed Red Dead 2 so far. The control scheme for Red Dead 2 was too messy and I can't be assed getting back into it, there just wasn't really anything that made me want to enjoy it.
  • I just can't enjoy Legend of Zelda games. The only one I've had any measure of fun in was Link to the Past.
  • The best Final Fantasy game is the WiiWare game 'My Life as a King', because it's adorable.
  • WWF No Mercy really isn't that good, and a lot of people who like it praise it due to rose tinted glasses, probably similar reasoning as to why I like SmackDown 1 and 2.
  • Super Mario 64 is alright, and Super Mario Sunshine isn't really that fun either.
  • Super Paper Mario is the best Paper Mario game because it doesn't have the stupid turn-based battle system
  • RPG games with turn-based battles are a pain in the ass and I find they're usually too much effort and frustrating to enjoy.
  • Toy Story 3 for PS3 and Xbox 360 is a great game (but the other ports are somewhat poo)
  • Toy Story 2 for PS1 is also good and YES, I KNOW, ROSE TINTED GLASSES.
  • This one's probably not controversial, but GTA IV was too brown and the story was rubbish, although I enjoyed GTA 5 a lot

I probably have more.