Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Liam

51 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

What do you mean?

I mean that in spite of the fan service provided by Blaze (hell, they had to censor her panty shots over here), the game sounded like absolute crap thanks to that shitty sound card that the Genesis had. 

8 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

MGS IV is the masterpiece of the MGS series. 

7 hours ago, Nerf said:

Isn't this, like, general consensus?

Not really. MGS 4 got great review scores at the time, but most Metal Gear fans don't consider it to be the best one. I'm with them, although I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people do.

While we're talking about Metal Gear, I liked playing as Raiden in MGS 2. Yes, the codec calls with Rose were tedious, but I thought his character arc was good and it was interesting to see Snake from the perspective of someone else.

As for highly regarded games I don't like, Bayonetta comes to mind first. I wouldn't argue against the claim that it's mechanically solid, but the initial buzz wore off for me quickly. I found the titular character herself thoroughly unlikable and the story a poorly told mess, but my biggest annoyance was that it just seemed to be trying way too hard to be funny. Finishing off enemies triggered these elaborate QTEs that might as well have been saying, "LOOK! HERE'S A CLOSE-UP OF HER BOTTOM! DID YOU SEE? DID YOU SEE? ISN'T OUR SATIRISATION OF MALE FETISHES SO RIPROARINGLY HILARIOUS? WE'LL SHOW YOU AGAIN IN A FEW MINUTES IN CASE YOU MISSED IT!"

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance had a similar problem, albeit without a comedically "sexy" player character. I find the whole "too cool for school" vibe Platinum goes for to miss emphatically, and it really puts me off their games.

9 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

MGS IV is the masterpiece of the MGS series. 

8 hours ago, Nerf said:

Isn't this, like, general consensus?

MGS IV is my least favorite in the series.  Thought it put more emphasis on the "action" part of "tactical espionage action" or whatever the tagline for the series is.  MGS 3 is the best in the series.  MGS V would've been my answer until you get to the 2nd part of the game, Hideo remembers its a Metal Gear game and he starts to throw in the whole vocal cord parasite stuff.

I've never played a God of War game, have no intention to and don't see anything appealing about the series

MGSV was a great game but a terrible Metal Gear game if that makes sense. Snake Eater is probably the best overall in the series but IV works so well in a fan service way.

• Like 3

JRPG's are a load of bollocks, MMORPG's are a load of bollocks.

10 hours ago, K said:

watching people live stream video games is the most boring and least interesting thing you can do. No-one is charismatic enough to make that interesting. 

This isn't controversial at all.

9 hours ago, Owen said:

WWF No Mercy really isn't that good, and a lot of people who like it praise it due to rose tinted glasses, probably similar reasoning as to why I like SmackDown 1 and 2.

Hush, child. The game mechanics are still miles better than any wrestling game created. I still play it now and then. It feels like you can actually have a proper match and no other wrestling game has come close, if they could update the game with better graphics and maybe add a few more things I'd be all over it. 

26 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Which MGS was the Phantom Pain? Because that’s the only one I’ve ever enjoyed.

The stealth mechanics in that were probably the best I’ve seen in any game. I spent hours and hours simply setting up my plan of attack for missions. Fucking great game.

That was MGSV. The gameplay mechanics are up there with the best in the series, but no David Hayter makes it impossible to get a score above 6/10.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mick said:

I mean that in spite of the fan service provided by Blaze (hell, they had to censor her panty shots over here), the game sounded like absolute crap thanks to that shitty sound card that the Genesis had. 

Whoa....Streets of Rage has an amazing soundtrack that sounds beautiful in 16 Bit glory.

I’m coming to the UP and we’re fighting.

6 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Whoa....Streets of Rage has an amazing soundtrack that sounds beautiful in 16 Bit glory.

I’m coming to the UP and we’re fighting.

Have fun crossing that bridge today. 

1 minute ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yeah, I was thinking this weekend. 

Or just not at all. 

I do see what people mean with the sound between SNES and Genesis, but I never had SNES so I’m not overly fussed over it. 

It's really substantial; just watch comparison videos of Street Fighter II on YouTube. 

16 hours ago, K said:

watching people live stream video games is the most boring and least interesting thing you can do. No-one is charismatic enough to make that interesting.

Hey, Overlord has feelings man.

• Like 1