Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Liam

18 hours ago, Josh to the World said:

I want to get into online play so bad, but every game I try players are either way too good for me to stand a chance or they’re just assholes who are there solely to fuck up your experience (*coughRedDeadcoughcough*.)

If I had players I already knew to play with, I might feel differently.

What exactly do you want from an online game? Always going to be better players in any game, but I do tend to prefer co op games so I can play with my mates and chat shit and try to win whatever game we are playing, from Siege to Laser League.

Of course, trolling your friends in a game like Ultimate Chicken Horse is damn great too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fudge said:

Vice City has aged horribly and is almost unplayable now. 

I'm not sure that's a hot take. I bought both it, San Andreas and GTA 3 from the Playstation Store thinking that they'd be fun for nostalgia but they just feel so clunky that I don't get the enjoyment that I used to.

I'm still OK with the gameplay in Vice City, especially on PC. What kills it for me, though, is the lack of checkpoints, a problem that harms all GTA games of that era. Failing a mission because your AI companion runs into oncoming traffic, and then having to drive across the city just to restart the whole mission, was infuriating then and is infuriating now.

22 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I always enjoyed the Smackdown series more than No Mercy.

I think this may relate to age, because I loved parts of the Smackdown series but my prime age of playing games all night with friends matches up with Revenge/WM2000/No Mercy. The Smackdown series games I tended to play alone, which is why I feel more passionately about the older games.

7 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Here Comes The Pain is the peak of WWE games.

It definitely had the best career mode of any WWE game. I feel like No Mercy had a really good template that could and should have been built upon (and should still be used) with the branching stories and everything... but I would play through a year of HCTP, and then when it "reset", it would keep everyone's changed attributes, affiliations, etc if you wanted it to... so you could start a new season with some jobber as your World Champion based on the fact that he just happened to get built up enough over the course of the last year.

If you allowed it to carry things over, each playthrough felt pretty different from the last.

I only played No Mercy years after it was released and thought it was quite good, but I'd probably prefer it if I'd played it back in the day. I was playing Smackdown then, and I really liked Smackdown 2. I don't imagine many people playing it for the first time now would be all that enthusiastic, but it's one that's stuck in the memory for me. I actually thought the Smackdown series was consistently good until a few years ago. I even had a lot of fun with Just Bring It.

17 hours ago, The Fork Horsemen said:

I'm not sure that's a hot take. I bought both it, San Andreas and GTA 3 from the Playstation Store thinking that they'd be fun for nostalgia but they just feel so clunky that I don't get the enjoyment that I used to.

Maybe not, but I still see/hear people talk about it like it's the best in the series. Opinions and all that, but it's just nostalgia. 

I got them all from PS Store too, wanting to complete them all without cheats, but it's just not worth it. San Andreas has enough improvements to the mechanics and shit for me to be able to play it still. With Vice City the gameplay just isn't good enough to work through the tedium. 

17 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm still OK with the gameplay in Vice City, especially on PC. What kills it for me, though, is the lack of checkpoints, a problem that harms all GTA games of that era. Failing a mission because your AI companion runs into oncoming traffic, and then having to drive across the city just to restart the whole mission, was infuriating then and is infuriating now.

Can you turn the camera while moving on PC? You can't on PS and that's probably the biggest killer for me.

Edited by Fudge

Someone said earlier that most indie games are shit. Opposite opinion most Western made AAA games. Too much focus on adding features rather than making those features engaging, interesting or precise. Indie games typically lack numerous features, but most of them do a good job of perfecting one or two features. This is why people have nostalgia for older games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RPS said:

Someone said earlier that most indie games are shit. Opposite opinion most Western made AAA games. Too much focus on adding features rather than making those features engaging, interesting or precise. Indie games typically lack numerous features, but most of them do a good job of perfecting one or two features. This is why people have nostalgia for older games.

I would rather sit down and play BroForce than 95% of AAA shooters for this exact reason.

• Like 1

I'd rather the term "indie" wasn't used in games because nobody can agree on what it means. I've been part of a couple of indie games sites in the past, and it was a constant issue. If you want to define indie games as ones that aren't self-published, then Portal 2 is indie and Hotline Miami isn't. There are also plenty of people who complain about "indie" games being part of Playstation Plus lineups, when they're actually referring to digital-only games produced on a comparatively small budget.

Basically, it's a web of nitpicky arguments that go nowhere and lead to elitism on both ends of the scale. There are great games that come from all kinds of developer backgrounds and budget ranges.

19 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd rather the term "indie" wasn't used in games because nobody can agree on what it means. I've been part of a couple of indie games sites in the past, and it was a constant issue. If you want to define indie games as ones that aren't self-published, then Portal 2 is indie and Hotline Miami isn't. There are also plenty of people who complain about "indie" games being part of Playstation Plus lineups, when they're actually referring to digital-only games produced on a comparatively small budget.

Basically, it's a web of nitpicky arguments that go nowhere and lead to elitism on both ends of the scale. There are great games that come from all kinds of developer backgrounds and budget ranges.

Agreed, but its the same issue with music and movies. All labels suck because they are imprecise or don't 100% fit. People argue whether something is hardcore or punk. Even video game genres like simulation or roleplaying games can be clunky.

That said, indie games come down to design philosophy, budget and publisher. It's often we talk about whether AAA studios make indie games rather than the opposite for a reason.