Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Liam

Ubisoft need to swerve making about 50 Assassin's Creed games and get back to making a new Splinter Cell game. 

Destiny as a series has a boring story mode and all the side missions are basically repetitive but on different planets 

Party systems whilst being great has made it difficult to play games with random people that requires communication as people are less likely to speak to others online these days 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDK said:

Video game piracy is fine especially against the big studios and especially if there is no demo version.

This is an interesting one. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, and I don't really pirate anymore but I feel like if I'm going to play a premium product I should pay for it, you know? I realise that my sense of morality in this case is decided basically entirely by the law it seems, but I get your logic.
I think abandonware is definitely fine, though. It's a legal 'grey area', but if the game's in a situation where it's not available for sale anywhere (at least in digital format), then maybe it's not a big deal? I could be completely wrong and misinformed on the case, though, and I'd be happy to be told why.

29 minutes ago, Owen said:

This is an interesting one. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, and I don't really pirate anymore but I feel like if I'm going to play a premium product I should pay for it, you know? I realise that my sense of morality in this case is decided basically entirely by the law it seems, but I get your logic.

Hey, if there isn't a demo version I think I'm within my moral rights to test it out before I buy it. Especially when there are reviewers that might be paid off by a company to verbally fellate a game.

Smaller companies I won't illegally download the game but the big companies? Pffft, I'd download a car if I could.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Destiny as a series has a boring story mode and all the aide missions are basically repetitive but on different planets 

I really wanted to love Destiny. The first moment you step onto the Moon was incredible, and the controls felt satisfying. But the lack of an interesting story (likely due to the game being an MMO) stopped me from going back to it over and over again. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Hey, if there isn't a demo version I think I'm within my moral rights to test it out before I buy it. Especially when there are reviewers that might be paid off by a company to verbally fellate a game.

Smaller companies I won't illegally download the game but the big companies? Pffft, I'd download a car if I could.

Atleast you can always test drive the car. 

29 minutes ago, apsham said:

If you're going to pirate a game, just say that you wanted a thing for free.

I do and I am. I would also like to try a demo version first.

7 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Atleast you can always test drive the car. 

And then steal it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

If you buy games on Steam, you have a two-hour play time window to request a refund if you don't like it. That's a demo of sorts.

Except the money goes back into your steam wallet, not your creditcard/PayPal. It's like getting a refund from Walmart, but they give you a Walmart giftcard. It's skeezy.

32 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Except the money goes back into your steam wallet, not your creditcard/PayPal. It's like getting a refund from Walmart, but they give you a Walmart giftcard. It's skeezy.

All the more money for demos!

13 hours ago, MDK said:

Video game piracy is fine especially against the big studios and especially if there is no demo version.

I think I sympathise with this one to an extent. Normally as a consumer in a marketplace you should have a good faith expectation that you are being sold a good quality product. However, loads of gaming companies have done a fair bit to trash that expectation by releasing very poor products.

So while piracy is immoral, it’s perhaps offset by the immorality of the profiteering and laziness of the games studios who have, through their actions, destroyed the expectation of the consumer that they are operating in a fait and open marketplace. And the resource gap is such that we should absolutely hold larger studios to higher standards.

But in the end the workers should be paid a fair price for their work, and that price depends on the quality of the game.

Edited by metalman

I think one of my biggest problems with piracy is that it punishes the wrong people. By and large, it's the publishers who dictate whether or not a game includes the kind of anti-consumer features that drive people to pirate games. By choosing to play the game illegally, chances are that the higher-ups will leave more or less untouched and the developer will be more likely to have to get rid of innocent staff members to account for what publishers deem to be disappointing sales figures.

14 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Destiny as a series has a boring story mode and all the side missions are basically repetitive but on different planets 

Destiny 1 had a story?  I just remember it'd give you a few lines about something, then direct you to a website to read more.  Its like "No, fuck you, its your job to tell me the story, not my job to seek it out"

Can't speak about Destiny 2 since I haven't played it

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Destiny 1 had a story?  I just remember it'd give you a few lines about something, then direct you to a website to read more.  Its like "No, fuck you, its your job to tell me the story, not my job to seek it out"

Can't speak about Destiny 2 since I haven't played it

The story was you were dead, but then flyingrobotTyrionLannister brought you back and now you need to commit genocide against all these other races because the big orb in the sky says so?, but then you're fighting and fighting and fighting and a robot lady gives you a gun.

1 hour ago, caMeron esposiTo Forbes said:

[redacted]

We've got a containment breach!

4 hours ago, MexicoJack said:

The Yakuza games have the biggest most expansive open world maps in gaming. 

I've only played part of Yakuza 0, but I'm inclined to agree. With so many open world games opting for vast expanses of empty space, it's really refreshing to play a game that packs so much into a relatively small geographical area.

If I think about my favourite game locations, I'm thinking of Shadow Moses from Metal Gear Solid, the region of Yokosuka from Shenmue and the police station from Resident Evil 2. They're all fairly small settings that become increasingly familiar as you continue playing. Contrast that with the sprawling mass of nothingness you get in games like Far Cry, which are so much less memorable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

I’m almost certain the refund goes back to which ever form of payment you used. Mine have in the past.