Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Hot/Controversial/Bad takes

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, The Fork Horsemen said:

I'm not sure that's a hot take. I bought both it, San Andreas and GTA 3 from the Playstation Store thinking that they'd be fun for nostalgia but they just feel so clunky that I don't get the enjoyment that I used to.

Maybe not, but I still see/hear people talk about it like it's the best in the series. Opinions and all that, but it's just nostalgia. 

I got them all from PS Store too, wanting to complete them all without cheats, but it's just not worth it. San Andreas has enough improvements to the mechanics and shit for me to be able to play it still. With Vice City the gameplay just isn't good enough to work through the tedium. 

17 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm still OK with the gameplay in Vice City, especially on PC. What kills it for me, though, is the lack of checkpoints, a problem that harms all GTA games of that era. Failing a mission because your AI companion runs into oncoming traffic, and then having to drive across the city just to restart the whole mission, was infuriating then and is infuriating now.

Can you turn the camera while moving on PC? You can't on PS and that's probably the biggest killer for me.

Edited by Fudge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fudge said:

Can you turn the camera while moving on PC? You can't on PS and that's probably the biggest killer for me.

You can turn the camera when you're moving, but not in vehicles. However, there is a mod which changes that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Companion missions need to be removed, trying to help an ai whilst fending of waves of enemy's with an ai who just takes damage and gets in the way is not fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DMN said:

I think I said this on the first page.

It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDK said:

It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.

I mean, I did say it, so you're probably right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dang117 said:

Companion missions need to be removed, trying to help an ai whilst fending of waves of enemy's with an ai who just takes damage and gets in the way is not fun.

I doubt many people will disagree here. It's often cited as the bugbear of gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said earlier that most indie games are shit. Opposite opinion most Western made AAA games. Too much focus on adding features rather than making those features engaging, interesting or precise. Indie games typically lack numerous features, but most of them do a good job of perfecting one or two features. This is why people have nostalgia for older games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RPS said:

Someone said earlier that most indie games are shit. Opposite opinion most Western made AAA games. Too much focus on adding features rather than making those features engaging, interesting or precise. Indie games typically lack numerous features, but most of them do a good job of perfecting one or two features. This is why people have nostalgia for older games.

I would rather sit down and play BroForce than 95% of AAA shooters for this exact reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather the term "indie" wasn't used in games because nobody can agree on what it means. I've been part of a couple of indie games sites in the past, and it was a constant issue. If you want to define indie games as ones that aren't self-published, then Portal 2 is indie and Hotline Miami isn't. There are also plenty of people who complain about "indie" games being part of Playstation Plus lineups, when they're actually referring to digital-only games produced on a comparatively small budget.

Basically, it's a web of nitpicky arguments that go nowhere and lead to elitism on both ends of the scale. There are great games that come from all kinds of developer backgrounds and budget ranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd rather the term "indie" wasn't used in games because nobody can agree on what it means. I've been part of a couple of indie games sites in the past, and it was a constant issue. If you want to define indie games as ones that aren't self-published, then Portal 2 is indie and Hotline Miami isn't. There are also plenty of people who complain about "indie" games being part of Playstation Plus lineups, when they're actually referring to digital-only games produced on a comparatively small budget.

Basically, it's a web of nitpicky arguments that go nowhere and lead to elitism on both ends of the scale. There are great games that come from all kinds of developer backgrounds and budget ranges.

Agreed, but its the same issue with music and movies. All labels suck because they are imprecise or don't 100% fit. People argue whether something is hardcore or punk. Even video game genres like simulation or roleplaying games can be clunky.

That said, indie games come down to design philosophy, budget and publisher. It's often we talk about whether AAA studios make indie games rather than the opposite for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RPS said:

Someone said earlier that most indie games are shit. Opposite opinion most Western made AAA games. Too much focus on adding features rather than making those features engaging, interesting or precise. Indie games typically lack numerous features, but most of them do a good job of perfecting one or two features. This is why people have nostalgia for older games.

 

8 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I would rather sit down and play BroForce than 95% of AAA shooters for this exact reason.

I honestly think this is a case of oversaturation of mainstream FPSes (though, admittedly, all the dudes at work save me play that shit), and a few high profile flops (FallOut 76), because some great AAA titles came out last year. AC: Odyssey, GOW, RDR2, all amazing games, but not shooters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AC and RDR2 were two games that I was specifically thinking about when it came to bulky games with too many features and none of which are engaging or interesting. RDR2 looks like an outstanding piece of art. But it does not look like a fun video game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 22:19, Chris2K said:

I don't understand the want/need for wild animals that you can hunt and kill in games, and I get more frustrated every time by developers making predatory animals more and more like mindless killing machines when in reality they would run away from you in a heartbeat.

I'd like to echo this. Does my head in in games where predators just automatically attack every single time. Can't play a game with sharks without them arrowing straight towards you, can't go near any big cat, or bear or anything. I wish it was random, like cougars in Red Dead just take you down on sight when I think the reality is that cougars will pretty rarely attack people? I'd like games to reflect that where the behaviour is random, a bear might attack you, it might not. A shark might attack you, it might just calmly swim around. I wish it was more of a case of randomness and situational. Swim around near a shark and it'll just calmly cruise around, start pissing about next to it and shit's gonna kick off cause you've agitated it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RPS said:

AC and RDR2 were two games that I was specifically thinking about when it came to bulky games with too many features and none of which are engaging or interesting. RDR2 looks like an outstanding piece of art. But it does not look like a fun video game. 

 

I can see where it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I just got back into video games after 15 years away. I started with RDR2 and I sunk in 75-100 hours and enjoyed every minute. Beautiful, emotionally engaging, and just fun to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Josh to the World said:

I can see where it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I just got back into video games after 15 years away. I started with RDR2 and I sunk in 75-100 hours and enjoyed every minute. Beautiful, emotionally engaging, and just fun to play.

I truthfully have never played the game, but from the descriptions and videos I have seen, I don't think I would like it. I am a sucker for precise controls and being immersed in the gameplay experience. The second I hit a button and the intended effect does not occur, I get upset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

I'd like to echo this. Does my head in in games where predators just automatically attack every single time. Can't play a game with sharks without them arrowing straight towards you, can't go near any big cat, or bear or anything. I wish it was random, like cougars in Red Dead just take you down on sight when I think the reality is that cougars will pretty rarely attack people? I'd like games to reflect that where the behaviour is random, a bear might attack you, it might not. A shark might attack you, it might just calmly swim around. I wish it was more of a case of randomness and situational. Swim around near a shark and it'll just calmly cruise around, start pissing about next to it and shit's gonna kick off cause you've agitated it.

I did the research, there have been five fatal cougar attacks in the last 22 years. Depending on where you go in RDR2 you could have that many in one game session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I did the research, there have been five fatal cougar attacks in the last 22 years. Depending on where you go in RDR2 you could have that many in one game session.

Would the same numbers work 120 years ago when there were less people and more cougars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely yes, but I reckon you can switch out RDR2 with GTA V and have pretty much the same experience. Rockstar (and Ubisoft for that matter) just love their overly aggressive animals no matter what the time period. I have to think that there is the audience for it who enjoy the visceral feeling of battling a wild animal, regardless of whether that would happen in real life or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come to think of it I don't think I ran into a single cougar when I played RDR2. Mind you I only played it for a little bit and was mostly fucking around the first city. Wolves and a couple bears, no cougars.

Also I think cougars are actually deadlier in GTAV then they are RDR1 because RDR1 you can potentially survive where in GTAV they just outright end you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you're entertaining or there's plenty of valid points, I'm not going to watch your two and a half hour video on a video game's failures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still haven't seen a panther other than the legendary one which is scripted to some degree.

But yeah, it just seems to be the done thing in games where predators just attack on sight the moment you're within about 200ft of them. It's a shame cause it'd actually probably make it a lot more intense and exhilarating if the attacks were a lot more random rather than just "oh the map says there's bears/cougars/wolves here, guess I'm definitely having to fight a bear/cougar/wolf then". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, apsham said:

Yeah, I still have only run into a single cougar and it happened in the epilogue.

Theory confirmed: Cougars just fucking hate John Marston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy