Hot Takes, but about SPORTS!

Schlitzbrille

15 hours ago, Ruki said:

People take sports too seriously.

Amen. Especially Soccer fans. No reason for riots where people actually die.

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

My hot take is that I don't think anything that is currently considered a sport should not be considered a sport. That said, if breakdancing gets into the Olympics I will lose my shit.

I don't understand how anyone can consider rugby more entertaining than American Football, and I say that having played both.

Bocce Ball, Horseshoes, Shuffleboard and Croquet belong in the Olympics about as much as Curling does.  Hopscotch and Double Dutch probably belong in just as much as Curling....

Regarding MDK's comment about Hockey, a long time ago Fox tried adding visual effects to the pucks for television. It didn't really help much. Then again, I think the most exciting parts of Hockey are the fights that break out...

Regarding the Knicks, anyone going there is doing it for money and/or because its New York. No other reason. Even if they manage to build a super team, the ownership will somehow fuck it up. I predict that if Kyrie goes there, he'll demand a trade by year three of his contract. Durant going there at all would surprise the hell out of me. 

10 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Football should count second assists like in ice hockey. 

No idea why on earth basketball doesn't do this either. Is it because LeBron would average like 25 assists a game?

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

It's the same reason why I still haven't watched Game of Thrones. I was super interested when it started, missed the first season, acquired the first season, and then was just beat down with the bloody thing by people who wouldn't stop talking about it, and all of the media coverage it received through websites I visit. Eventually I'll sit down and watch it, but overexposure killed my desire.

I can relate to this in a way, but it's because my knee-jerk reaction, when I'm told over and over how great something is, is to find it underwhelming when I actually watch, simply because there's no way it was going to stack up to how it was being sold to me. Like when I rented 'Lost in Translation' after all my film-buff friends talked it up to the moon and I found myself really disappointed by it. Watched it again later and loved it due to the lack of over-elevated expectation

7 hours ago, DMN said:

Also, playoff hockey is the best time of any sport.

Hockey is my least favorite sport of our Big 4 for me to watch on TV and to follow in general, and yet it's easily my favorite live experience.

14 minutes ago, completeunknown said:

No idea why on earth basketball doesn't do this either. Is it because LeBron would average like 25 assists a game?

Pretty much. There are only five guys on the court. Everybody and their mum would have double-digit assists every game. 

Some of my favorite sports memories were watching the local UHL team when I was in high school.  Best logo ever.

Trashers-jersey.jpg?w=630&h=446&q=75

Fun fact:  the team folded after two years because the owner was arrested for racketeering.  Turns out he had also been circumventing the salary cap by having players on the payroll of his waste management company.  He pulled a Mr. Burns.

• Like 1

American Football is a far better sport to watch than either code of rugby.

The Olympics are a far better and more enjoyable event than the World Cup. Also the number of swimming events should be halved as there are far too many medals available and some swimmers get to compete in 7 or 8 events.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

American Football is a far better sport to watch than either code of rugby.

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

Michael Jordan is actually underrated. He's so far ahead of anyone else who played in the NBA it's almost laughable. Only people's misunderstanding and use of basic statistics make it seem that he could be caught up to legacy wise.

This is only a hot take for people who grew up with Kobe and Lebron and only have seen highlights of Jordan or a full game here and there. I wasn't super old when Jordan was playing and actually hated him and refused to admit that he's the GOAT. I would always say that he was the greatest of his era but Wilt and Russell were right there with him.

Talent wise, I would argue that Kobe and LeBron are right up there with Jordan. But what sets Jordan apart from Kobe and Kobe apart from Lebron is his competitivish (is that a word? If not, I'm making it up now.) Jordan never wanted to lose, never wanted to take a day off, made his teammates hate him if they were playing up to his standard, never wanted to make a super team, hell, he was a super team.

I laugh now a days when I see people trying to argue that Jordan isn't the best ever. Like you said, he's so far ahead of everybody else, it is laughable. 

10 hours ago, DMN said:

Live hockey is fucking amazing.

Everyone should experience it at least once. I went from hockey-basher to Nashville Predators fan in one trip that a friend and hockey fanatic thankfully talked me into

Been to five games since

8 hours ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

Michael Jordan is actually underrated. He's so far ahead of anyone else who played in the NBA it's almost laughable. Only people's misunderstanding and use of basic statistics make it seem that he could be caught up to legacy wise.

This. I absolutely love LeBron and still consider him a distant #2

Edited by completeunknown

11 hours ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

Some of my favorite sports memories were watching the local UHL team when I was in high school.  Best logo ever.

Trashers-jersey.jpg?w=630&h=446&q=75

Fun fact:  the team folded after two years because the owner was arrested for racketeering.  Turns out he had also been circumventing the salary cap by having players on the payroll of his waste management company.  He pulled a Mr. Burns.

I remember reading about that in SI or some other magazine when it happened.

8 hours ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

This is only a hot take for people who grew up with Kobe and Lebron and only have seen highlights of Jordan or a full game here and there. I wasn't super old when Jordan was playing and actually hated him and refused to admit that he's the GOAT. I would always say that he was the greatest of his era but Wilt and Russell were right there with him.

Talent wise, I would argue that Kobe and LeBron are right up there with Jordan. But what sets Jordan apart from Kobe and Kobe apart from Lebron is his competitivish (is that a word? If not, I'm making it up now.) Jordan never wanted to lose, never wanted to take a day off, made his teammates hate him if they were playing up to his standard, never wanted to make a super team, hell, he was a super team.

I laugh now a days when I see people trying to argue that Jordan isn't the best ever. Like you said, he's so far ahead of everybody else, it is laughable. 

Did either of you actually see him play, or do you just see the shoe commercials?

Jordan has a claim to being the best ever, yes, but players like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, and yes, Lebron James, all have arguments for that spot as well. Kobe not so much because he has inferior stats at the same position and intentionally tried to be as much like Mike as possible, but the other five, yes.

People act like Jordan didn't have any flaws to his game, but he definitely did, he had a relatively short career, and never won anything without Scotty Pippen. He ain't god.

I like watching international rugby to an extent but it really is shit. It's a game of kicking the ball out of play and gaining a couple of yards until another team is penalised. Throw some stalling by the scrum half and scrums (which are literally pointless), it's a game where fuck all happens.

It's also a game watched by posh twats and played by posh twat's sons who's biggest rugby talent is that they went to private school.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TCO said:

It's also a game watched by posh twats and played by posh twat's sons who's biggest rugby talent is that they went to private school.

I have this problem with cricket. When I was at school, there'd always be one or two people who wore full cricket whites during PE and did all the silly exaggerated run-ups, follow-throughs and ball-rubbing when warming up. If football's a game for thugs, cricket's a game for arrogant bumballoons.