Hot Takes, but about SPORTS!

Schlitzbrille

@DMN, like I said in my post, I was young when Jordan was playing, but i saw plenty of his games. Both on TV and was lucky enough to even see him play in person during the Finals. His game did have flaws, everybody's does but his strengths, for the time period he played in, and how he was able to evolve his game during his career, plus take two years off, and still be able to come back and play at the level he did, sets him apart from those other players you named.

I would also rank Kobe above Lebron, but maybe that is becoming a hot take?

2 hours ago, DMN said:

I remember reading about that in SI or some other magazine when it happened.

Did either of you actually see him play, or do you just see the shoe commercials?

Jordan has a claim to being the best ever, yes, but players like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, and yes, Lebron James, all have arguments for that spot as well. Kobe not so much because he has inferior stats at the same position and intentionally tried to be as much like Mike as possible, but the other five, yes.

People act like Jordan didn't have any flaws to his game, but he definitely did, he had a relatively short career, and never won anything without Scotty Pippen. He ain't god.

Yes I've seen him play AND seen the shoe commercials. I also am a bit of a basketball junkie, I go back and watch everything I can from pre 1990 and I would even use the word study when it comes to basketball history. That's why my statement is a hot take. 

51 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I would also rank Kobe above Lebron, but maybe that is becoming a hot take?

The only argument I can make for Kobe is that at least he didn't have to go and put a super team together to win a championship....but that's because he was already on one. 

If the rift between Kobe and Shaq hadn't happened, I think the Lakers would have won at least one more championship, if not more.

But I'm a Lakers fan, and I think Lebron is a better player than Kobe was.

• Like 1

Hot take: LeBron isn't as a good of a basketball player as any of the guys previously mentioned, from a pure/technical standpoint. He's purely a phenomenal athlete and uses his athletic ability to dominate, not any "basketball" ability.

That's not to hate on LeBron at all, either. I have mad respect for him. But I think if you took away his athleticism, he's average at best. I also think you put him in any other sport, because of his athleticism, he's a star there too. He is one of the greatest pure athletes I've ever seen.

@GhostMachine I wouldn't really say that any of Kobe's teams were a "super team" besides the year they lost to the Pistons. They were great teams for sure, but didn't have more then three future hall of famers at any more, or really any all stars outside of Kobe, Gasol, and Shaq. If his team was a super team, it's because of him being on it. 

@It's Pronounced Zoom-E while I agree that Lebron mostly gets by using his athletic ability, he's still a great basketball player without it. To me, he's just lacking that drive to win every single game that some of the other all time greats had.

A hot take only NASCAR fans will care about, one way or the other:

While Jimmy Johnson has as many championships as Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, he's not in either's league. Most of his championships were won while the talent level in the sport was somewhat watered down, and its only started to get better within the last three years. Plus the rules are different than when Petty and Earnhardt won theirs.

Also, NASCAR's Most Popular Driver award needs to be done away with. It was known at the time that Bill Elliott won several times because his fan club was stuffing the ballot boxes, and there's no way in Hell that Dale Jr winning it every year from 2002 to 2017 is legit.

(Bill Elliott won the award from 1984 to 1988, then from 1991 to 2000, and again in 2002. I was huge into NASCAR from the late 80's, and trust me, there were at least four drivers definitely more popular.)

I was thinking of doing a NASCAR one myself. Interestingly, it's the opposite for me. I'm a Dale Earnhardt fan, and it actually pains me to say this, but my hot take is that Jimmie Johnson is the greatest NASCAR driver (it's definitely not Richard Petty) of all-time. The rules are definitely different, but I find that cars are closer in...usefulness than ever before and for JJ to dominate as he did is tremendous. 

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I have this problem with cricket. When I was at school, there'd always be one or two people who wore full cricket whites during PE and did all the silly exaggerated run-ups, follow-throughs and ball-rubbing when warming up. If football's a game for thugs, cricket's a game for arrogant bumballoons.

😡😡

Village cricket is a wonderful game for drunks, alcoholic farmers and guys like me who do the run-ups, follow-throughs and ball-rubbing, had training at the County ground, played league or district and did that whole thing....but ended up being the team delinquents and would rather play without the arrogant bumballoons.

Nothing is better than when we play a league team with said young arrogant bumballoon and I clean bowl him out. I'm pretty angry when I bowl and give the whole send offs and verbals to the batsman, like a Jimmy Anderson without the talent. My opening bowling partner is pretty similar in that respect and our wicket keeper is savage to batsmen when they get away with a bad umpire decision and they don't walk.

The other year we were playing against Willesbrough who are a league team in Ashford. We turned up...well most of us did. Our spinner arrived an hour into the game still steaming drunk from the wedding he was at the day before. Anyway, looking through their old scoresheets their opening batsman had a league batting average of 50 that season (which is very good) with a couple of hundreds in there too. I open the bowling but before I bowl the first ball he makes me stop so he can get people to move the sightscreen behind me for a better view of the ball (we never use them and don't have them at our ground so are used to playing without needing them). Then he gets them to move it back a bit again. This goes on for ages and our wicketkeeper starts throwing in a few digs.

I run in to bowl the first ball, clean bowl him, run about 80% of the way down the wicket to give him the celebration and verbals. Our wicketkeeper shouts out to him "Do you want the sightscreen moving again mate?" Utterly beautiful.

Same team, different game, one of their guys obviously edges it behind off my bowling to the same wicket keeper. Often one of the batting team will umpire at one end due to lack of umpires. As soon as the edge happened (the ball deviated by about a foot) I was charging down celebrating and the wicket keeper was jumping towards me already, but the umpire refused to give it. Said he didn't edge it. Batsman said he didn't touch it. The wicket keeper and I both started having a pretty angry go at the batsman, arguing, lots of swearing etc. That wasn't a fun time.

Similar happened at another ground when their league batsman edged it off my bowling partner. He refused to walk and our wicket keeper just chucked his gloves away and refused to play for ages. Funny and angering (about the batsman) all at one. You have to be honest at that level. If it's a proper umpire then let them make the call, but otherwise you have to walk when you've edged it.

I've had someone edge me and not walk and clean bowled him the next ball and I'm down there showing him the bails off the floor, getting him to check if he's actually out that time. Similar when someone wasn't given plumb LBW one ball and I bowled him the next. I've had an argument with an umpire when he didn't give two plumb LBW decisions in an over before too. 

Basically I'm a lout and unpleasant when bowling it seems. Cricket, when you play it, is actually pretty nasty and abrasive at least in pockets, most games.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Isiah Thomas is a twat but also was a great player. People recognize that but I think he gets overlooked when talking about great players. Especially when people rate John Stockton over him, hometown bias maybe for me, but I would never in a million years take Stockton over Isiah.

john-stockton-of-the-utah-jazz-defends-a

Probably less hometown bias and more you're just jealous of dem legs. 

I will admit to having a very big hometown bias towards Stockton. I even have a tribute wall to him in a spare bedroom. He's my favorite player ever.

Saying that, him, Thomas, and Johnson are the top three point guards ever. Nobody can convince me what order they go in and I wouldn't dare try to come up with a way to. Three totally different players, three totally different play styles. Want a scorer? Go with Thomas. Want a play maker? Go with Stockton. Want the all-around game? Go with Johnson.

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

A hot take only NASCAR fans will care about, one way or the other:

While Jimmy Johnson has as many championships as Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, he's not in either's league. Most of his championships were won while the talent level in the sport was somewhat watered down, and its only started to get better within the last three years. Plus the rules are different than when Petty and Earnhardt won theirs.

Also, NASCAR's Most Popular Driver award needs to be done away with. It was known at the time that Bill Elliott won several times because his fan club was stuffing the ballot boxes, and there's no way in Hell that Dale Jr winning it every year from 2002 to 2017 is legit.

(Bill Elliott won the award from 1984 to 1988, then from 1991 to 2000, and again in 2002. I was huge into NASCAR from the late 80's, and trust me, there were at least four drivers definitely more popular.)

3 hours ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

I was thinking of doing a NASCAR one myself. Interestingly, it's the opposite for me. I'm a Dale Earnhardt fan, and it actually pains me to say this, but my hot take is that Jimmie Johnson is the greatest NASCAR driver (it's definitely not Richard Petty) of all-time. The rules are definitely different, but I find that cars are closer in...usefulness than ever before and for JJ to dominate as he did is tremendous. 

I want to argue, because Petty is The King and had the coolest looking car, but the point about the cars being, let's say, more even, is a good one.

2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

Isiah Thomas is a twat but also was a great player. People recognize that but I think he gets overlooked when talking about great players. Especially when people rate John Stockton over him, hometown bias maybe for me, but I would never in a million years take Stockton over Isiah.

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

I will admit to having a very big hometown bias towards Stockton. I even have a tribute wall to him in a spare bedroom. He's my favorite player ever.

Saying that, him, Thomas, and Johnson are the top three point guards ever. Nobody can convince me what order they go in and I wouldn't dare try to come up with a way to. Three totally different players, three totally different play styles. Want a scorer? Go with Thomas. Want a play maker? Go with Stockton. Want the all-around game? Go with Johnson.

I'll add my hometown bias. Magic is the best because he could do it all. Things that Thomas and Stockton, due to physical limitations, simply could not do, like guard all five positions. Stockton, while I wouldn't say he's overrated (if anything he is underrated), but he played 600 more games than Magic or Isiah, and has worse per game stats than Magic. Magic actually outscored Isiah. Magic clearly played with the better players (with all due respect to Karl Malone, he's no Kareem, and James Worthy is a HOFer as well), but Malone is better than anyone Thomas played with.

I think Stockton and Thomas have as good an argument for second best point guard as anyone, but I think Magic is clearly head and shoulders above them. I'm a homer, but they aren't top ten all-time regardless of position and Magic is. 

Hot take, Steve Nash was better then either of Stockton or Thomas, and probably has a better argument for the number one spot.

• Like 1