Music hot takes

VerbalPuke

Because we have them everywhere else. It doesn’t necessarily mean “the Beatles actually suck” (i mean if you feel that way that’s fine), but a particular album is a bands best work. 

Like X, most times Los Angeles and Wild Gift are held as their best work, but I think it is Under the Big Black Sun. I just the think the song writing and sound were superb. All three are great albums, but the latter I just prefer.

Oh and I should specify it doesn’t have to be just album stuff. Can be whatever.

I like '80s pop and rock. I find it catchy and fun.

I'm also not keen on most punk rock from the '80s and '90s. I think some earlier punk is OK, but I don't like the bands consisting of heavily tattooed wannabe tough guys shouting about breaking things and how people are posers. Henry Rollins, for example, strikes me as being a massive dickhead back in the day.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I like '80s pop and rock. I find it catchy and fun.

I'm also not keen on most punk rock from the '80s and '90s. I think some earlier punk is OK, but I don't like the bands consisting of heavily tattooed wannabe tough guys shouting about breaking things and how people are posers. Henry Rollins, for example, strikes me as being a massive dickhead back in the day.

He was. But he also saw a jock mentality start to happen especially in the hardcore scene which is probably where that dick attitude came from. He’s a mild mannered middle aged punk these days. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, =BK= said:

The Beatles actually suck though.

I would not say sucked, but I generally agree with the sentiment that music criticism and journalism tend to overrate or needlessly fixate on a handful of acts, including the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, etc. 

Music criticism and the industry in general has done a good job of moving towards a more populist and inclusive view of music since the 2000s. This means treating more niche music genres with more respect (dance, metal,  Growing up, the fixation was always on how great certain acts were and there were almost always rock musicians. I remember having a heated discussion with my uncle who was saying how useless Madonna was and how could anyone compare her to the Beatles. I said to him "every Friday and Saturday night I go to the bar and we dance to Madonna songs and no one is asking the DJ to put on Beatles song. To many in the gay community, Madonna is their idol and icon in the same way lots of people idolize the Beatles."That is what I find interesting about music - you could be like my husband and go 35 years in his life and not know who the Beatles are. 

• Like 1

How does someone question Madonna? It's like questioning Micheal Jackson. 

I also want to point out the fallacy of punk bands being talentless. Why? Because they keep things (usually) simple? Yeah, a lot follows a really basic three chord progression. But that doesn’t mean Johnny Ramone can’t play, he just doesn’t waste time with ridiculous solos. 

The same critics then will bend over to kiss the ass of CCR or AC/DC who are also incredibly simple in their approach. Their music is probably just more palatable to the masses (I like CCR so no critique here). So stop with the make believe notion that punk bands can’t play. 

Try this, pick up a guitar and tell me if its harder to learn Bad Brains or CCR as a beginner. Probably Bad Brains because the rhythm is quicker. 

I think this myth has started to go away but is still perpetuated by white guy blues dad rock enthusiasts.

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with musical simplicity. If you like the sound, why should you care?

It seems to me that some people get more wound up about other people's musical tastes than they do about enjoying their own. I've noticed a lot more aggression from people insisting that a particular genre or artist is objectively terrible than I do in any other entertainment form. As long as you aren't being made to listen to music you don't like, I don't see why you should give a toss whether or not someone you know would rather listen to Joy Division than New Order.

I quite enjoy Village People. They're a fun band with some catchy hits. Telling people that, however, is apparently some sort of social taboo, and for seemingly no good reason. Likewise in a rather different way with Meat Loaf. He's not my favourite, but I like some of his songs. A fair few people would call me names for saying that, but I suppose I never got the memo on which acts everyone is supposed to scoff at.

We should all like what we like and dislike what we dislike. I'm happy to say what I don't like, but I have no intention of judging someone else who does like it. That's just silly.

27 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I don't see anything wrong with musical simplicity. If you like the sound, why should you care?

It seems to me that some people get more wound up about other people's musical tastes than they do about enjoying their own. I've noticed a lot more aggression from people insisting that a particular genre or artist is objectively terrible than I do in any other entertainment form. As long as you aren't being made to listen to music you don't like, I don't see why you should give a toss whether or not someone you know would rather listen to Joy Division than New Order.

I quite enjoy Village People. They're a fun band with some catchy hits. Telling people that, however, is apparently some sort of social taboo, and for seemingly no good reason. Likewise in a rather different way with Meat Loaf. He's not my favourite, but I like some of his songs. A fair few people would call me names for saying that, but I suppose I never got the memo on which acts everyone is supposed to scoff at.

We should all like what we like and dislike what we dislike. I'm happy to say what I don't like, but I have no intention of judging someone else who does like it. That's just silly.

Meatloaf has some really good songs. Some really high energy belters, he’s good in my book. 

And I’m in agreement with simplicity. Less is more. Composing a good song is more important to me than how complex the song is. 

On 28/02/2019 at 21:11, tristy said:

All 3 of the recent NIN EPs are the best things they've ever released, period, full stop.

I guess along those lines - Reznor's work as a composer is better than his NIN output. 

On 01/03/2019 at 16:21, VerbalPuke said:

I also want to point out the fallacy of punk bands being talentless. Why? Because they keep things (usually) simple? Yeah, a lot follows a really basic three chord progression. But that doesn’t mean Johnny Ramone can’t play, he just doesn’t waste time with ridiculous solos. 

The same critics then will bend over to kiss the ass of CCR or AC/DC who are also incredibly simple in their approach. Their music is probably just more palatable to the masses (I like CCR so no critique here). So stop with the make believe notion that punk bands can’t play. 

Try this, pick up a guitar and tell me if its harder to learn Bad Brains or CCR as a beginner. Probably Bad Brains because the rhythm is quicker. 

I think this myth has started to go away but is still perpetuated by white guy blues dad rock enthusiasts.

The genre you can definitely be talentless and still succeed in is Gospel. 

12 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

Don McLean's "American Pie" is massively overplayed and overrated.  It's eight minutes of rambling fucking garbage.

I agree its overplayed and overrated. But its not garbage. Its just too damn long......

As far as overrated is concerned....Simon and Garfunkel. `nuff said.