Music hot takes

VerbalPuke

19 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Call Me Maybe is the best pop song of the last decade.

In general, Carly Rae Jepsen is fairly underrated - as most people likely only know her from that. Josh Ramsay is one of the writers of Call Me Maybe and his band Mariana's Trench aren't all that heard of outside of Canada either, and he writes some really catchy stuff.

Edited by apsham

11 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Call Me Maybe is the best pop song of the last decade.

Depends on your definition of pop. Pop the genre or just popular music? 

On 01/03/2019 at 21:21, VerbalPuke said:

I also want to point out the fallacy of punk bands being talentless. Why? Because they keep things (usually) simple? Yeah, a lot follows a really basic three chord progression. But that doesn’t mean Johnny Ramone can’t play, he just doesn’t waste time with ridiculous solos. 

The same critics then will bend over to kiss the ass of CCR or AC/DC who are also incredibly simple in their approach. Their music is probably just more palatable to the masses (I like CCR so no critique here). So stop with the make believe notion that punk bands can’t play. 

Try this, pick up a guitar and tell me if its harder to learn Bad Brains or CCR as a beginner. Probably Bad Brains because the rhythm is quicker. 

I think this myth has started to go away but is still perpetuated by white guy blues dad rock enthusiasts.

If you need more than three chords you are wasting my time.

• Like 4

I hated Foo Fighters when they first came out.  It wasn't until their second album came out and Monkey Wrench was the lead single

That I thought "Oh wow, a Foo Fighters song I actually like!"

Dave Grohl is still an asshole for being an "HIV truther" though

1 minute ago, MDK said:

A what?

HIV/AIDS denialism

In 2000, while the Foo Fighters were touring on their breakout album There Is Nothing Left to Lose, bass player Nate Mendel came across a book by a leading denier called Christine Maggiore, and shared it with the other band members, including former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighters ended up playing a benefit concert for Maggiore’s HIV-denialist organization, Alive and Well, at which Maggiore spoke and copies of her book were handed out.

Best I can find, he's never recanted

On 17/03/2019 at 02:06, apsham said:

In general, Carly Rae Jepsen is fairly underrated - as most people likely only know her from that. Josh Ramsay is one of the writers of Call Me Maybe and his band Mariana's Trench aren't all that heard of outside of Canada either, and he writes some really catchy stuff.

Marianas Trench do some good stuff, saw them play in Cardiff 2 or 3 years back.

Coupled with Arkells it's nearly enough to forgive Canada for Nickelback.

I'm not a Nickelback fan and I have to admit that that rockstar song really annoys me, but a lot of people do seem to fall over themselves on the internet to express their hatred for the band. There are plenty of other bands that I dislike more who don't get anywhere near as much attention.

5 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Another hot take, Nickleback hate is massively overrated.

They're not a particularly good band by any stretch, but they definitely have a few guilty pleasure bangers in their repertoire.

I don’t care for them but the whole “lol Nickelback” thing is really silly. People like what they like. 

We all have different brains that process things differently. 

And since I’m here, listening to classical music doesn’t make you more interesting. It’s cool if you dig it, but don’t be a pretentious dick about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm not a Nickelback fan and I have to admit that that rockstar song really annoys me, but a lot of people do seem to fall over themselves on the internet to express their hatred for the band. There are plenty of other bands that I dislike more who don't get anywhere near as much attention.

I like a lot of Nickelback's stuff, but I can't stand "This Is How You Remind Me" or "Photograph".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Creed, Imagine Dragons,