Sign in to follow this  
VerbalPuke

Music hot takes

15 hours ago, DMN said:

It's 'Get Lucky' by Daft Punk (w/ Pharrell) for me.

Sound of the summer.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2019 at 21:21, VerbalPuke said:

I also want to point out the fallacy of punk bands being talentless. Why? Because they keep things (usually) simple? Yeah, a lot follows a really basic three chord progression. But that doesn’t mean Johnny Ramone can’t play, he just doesn’t waste time with ridiculous solos. 

The same critics then will bend over to kiss the ass of CCR or AC/DC who are also incredibly simple in their approach. Their music is probably just more palatable to the masses (I like CCR so no critique here). So stop with the make believe notion that punk bands can’t play. 

Try this, pick up a guitar and tell me if its harder to learn Bad Brains or CCR as a beginner. Probably Bad Brains because the rhythm is quicker. 

I think this myth has started to go away but is still perpetuated by white guy blues dad rock enthusiasts.

If you need more than three chords you are wasting my time.

• Like 4

I hated Foo Fighters when they first came out.  It wasn't until their second album came out and Monkey Wrench was the lead single

That I thought "Oh wow, a Foo Fighters song I actually like!"

Dave Grohl is still an asshole for being an "HIV truther" though

12 minutes ago, Lint said:

Dave Grohl is still an asshole for being an "HIV truther" though

A what?

1 minute ago, MDK said:

A what?

HIV/AIDS denialism

In 2000, while the Foo Fighters were touring on their breakout album There Is Nothing Left to Lose, bass player Nate Mendel came across a book by a leading denier called Christine Maggiore, and shared it with the other band members, including former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighters ended up playing a benefit concert for Maggiore’s HIV-denialist organization, Alive and Well, at which Maggiore spoke and copies of her book were handed out.

Best I can find, he's never recanted

I had no idea HIV/AIDS denialism was a thing

On 17/03/2019 at 02:06, apsham said:

In general, Carly Rae Jepsen is fairly underrated - as most people likely only know her from that. Josh Ramsay is one of the writers of Call Me Maybe and his band Mariana's Trench aren't all that heard of outside of Canada either, and he writes some really catchy stuff.

Marianas Trench do some good stuff, saw them play in Cardiff 2 or 3 years back.

Coupled with Arkells it's nearly enough to forgive Canada for Nickelback.

Another hot take, Nickleback hate is massively overrated.

They're not a particularly good band by any stretch, but they definitely have a few guilty pleasure bangers in their repertoire.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I own three of their albums, they're better than they get credit for.

Sum 41 are Canadian too, Canada actually have a fair bit going for them.

I'm not a Nickelback fan and I have to admit that that rockstar song really annoys me, but a lot of people do seem to fall over themselves on the internet to express their hatred for the band. There are plenty of other bands that I dislike more who don't get anywhere near as much attention.

18 minutes ago, livid said:

New rap isn't shit, you just got old. 

Or rap/hip hop beats really suck now because of licensing stuff and DJ'ing has died a death.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Another hot take, Nickleback hate is massively overrated.

They're not a particularly good band by any stretch, but they definitely have a few guilty pleasure bangers in their repertoire.

I don’t care for them but the whole “lol Nickelback” thing is really silly. People like what they like. 

We all have different brains that process things differently. 

And since I’m here, listening to classical music doesn’t make you more interesting. It’s cool if you dig it, but don’t be a pretentious dick about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm not a Nickelback fan and I have to admit that that rockstar song really annoys me, but a lot of people do seem to fall over themselves on the internet to express their hatred for the band. There are plenty of other bands that I dislike more who don't get anywhere near as much attention.

I like a lot of Nickelback's stuff, but I can't stand "This Is How You Remind Me" or "Photograph".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Creed, Imagine Dragons,

I like Imagine Dragons. But I hate Creed.

Scott Stapp has a band call Art of Anarchy now. Haven't listen to them, because he was the main reason I didn't like Creed. 

Don't hate the band, but I am so sick of 5 Seconds of Summer's song "Youngblood". One of the local radio stations here plays it way too much. 

Foo Fighters are boring and derivative "rock" music, a safe name to mention for politicians who have to mention a rock band they like and for organisations to give awards to. They offer nothing new or fresh to the music scene and in fact deprive more deserving bands of recognition.

• Like 2

I've never really "got" Foo Fighters. It's not a style of rock I'm a fan of anyway, but they don't seem very different from several other bands who get bombarded with criticism while Foo Fighters get similar amounts of adulation.

I love Dave Grohl, he seems like a really good guy. 

But yeah, Foo Fighters just don’t appeal to me.

I loved Foo Fights growing up and still enjoy their 90's stuff, but I don't think they've evolved in any way, like a band that's been around for 20 years should. 

Nickelback hate is a meme and it's FUCKING infuriating when people act like it's the God's honest truth. Listen to some Nickelback albums. They're a perfectly fine hard rock band. In fact, after I take a nap I'm gonna post some of my favorites from their albums.

As far as Foo Fighters go, I enjoy them, but my enjoyment definitely has waned over the years because of the aformentioned lack of evolution in Grohl's output. They're a phenomenal festival artist, but they lack that material that warrants listening to it a lot on end. They lack a real next level song, most of their stuff is good, but not great, also not bad either.

They just... are kind of there, and have definitely fallen off in past years. I can only name two songs from Sonic Highways (which I was shocked to find out is already 5 years old this year), and I can name no songs from Concrete and Gold (I had to wiki their discography just to know that album was a thing).

Personally I prefer Queens of the Stone Age in terms of trying to go for different sounds with every album. And here's my hot take on them, ...Like Clockwork might be one of the best albums ever made, and for me it might be the best album this decade or even century. It is the only album i've ever listened to in which I have all (ten) songs on my playlist permanently, because they're all good if not great.

But also, like with Grohl, Josh Homme is a guy that has a serious alcohol problem that needs to be addressed. And unlike Grohl, Homme has shown to have been a mean drunk on stage at times. 

On 21/03/2019 at 22:31, =BK= said:

Nickelback hate is a meme and it's FUCKING infuriating when people act like it's the God's honest truth. Listen to some Nickelback albums. They're a perfectly fine hard rock band. In fact, after I take a nap I'm gonna post some of my favorites from their albums.

Boy, that's one friggin' long nap he's taking!

Foo Fighters are a perfectly fine band, but I agree with Meacon about the band not evolving. My favorite song of theirs is still Everlong, and look how old that is.