Sign in to follow this  
Gorka

The 2019 Music Thread

It's been a slow start of the year, in my opinion. But what have you listened to? What have you enjoyed?

I've listened to:

• Toro y Moi - 'Outer Peace'
  • Sharon Van Etten - 'Remind Me Tomorrow'
  • Tallies - 'Self-Titled'
  • Malibu Ken - 'Self-Titled'
  • Panda Bear - 'Buoys' (a boring disappointment) 
  • Misty Coast - 'Melodaze'
  • Xiu Xiu - 'Girl with Basket of Fruit' (gratingly experimental)
  • Julia Jacklin - 'Crushing'
  • Pond - 'Tasmania'

Pond's effort only came out yesterday, so I expect it to be a grower.

Jacklin, Toro y Moi and the Malibu Ken project have been solid, enjoyable releases.

I've spent the early part largely still catching up on 2018. Got the Ghost and Greta Van Fleet albums last week, lovely stuff.

2019 has been hit and miss so far. Fever 333's debut was decent, Set It Off's was disappointing, and so far I'd put One OK Rock's in the middle. The Bring Me The Horizon one was god awful, genuinely think they're done for this year.

Literally the only 2019 album I've bought so far is the new Busted one and it is god damn excellent.

I've got my eye on quite a few for later this year. Really keen for the new album from The Damned Things, the first album they did was superb. New stuff from Foals, The 1975 (need to listen to their other new one still), I Prevail, Frank Carter and Bastille should hopefully all be decent.

The only new thing i've listened to this year is the new Candlemass record, The Door To Doom. It's the first album since 1987 to feature Johan Langqvist on vocals and I really dig it. Not a bad song on it I reckon.

@Rich and probably @JeReindeer too!

Go listen to the new Pkew Pkew Pkew album. It's ruddy lovely and right up both your streets.

• Like 1

@OllieAlready done it, its wonderful, I'm literally missing their tour of the UK as I need to head down to London that night as I fly out to New York the next morning 

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

@Rich and probably @JeReindeer too!

Go listen to the new Pkew Pkew Pkew album. It's ruddy lovely and right up both your streets.

Will put it on the list.

I also didn't realise until just now I still have Reindeer in my name, should probably change that.

@Ollie have now listened and can confirm it's rather excellent.

the new Self Esteem album is an absolute banger

On 04/03/2019 at 06:34, Jimmy said:

the new Self Esteem album is an absolute banger

This is half of Slow Club, right?  Keep meaning to check them out.

17 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

This is half of Slow Club, right?  Keep meaning to check them out.

Yep, that's the one! I would totally recommend it - seeing her on Wednesday, very excited. 

Paging @ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster, the new Sleeper album came out today, a sentence I never thought I'd be typing on a smartphone. It's alright, it's probably quite far from my tastes these days but it works in the same way a latter day Ash album does.

Ariana Grande's new album was great. So was the CHAI album. The Powder mixtape Powder in Space is fucking excellent too. 

Crush on Me by Sir Babygirl is the first 2019 album to grab me in a big way. Really great pop music.

Fuck me this Billie Eilish record is amazing, the baselines and sounds are HUGE.

Bloc Party are going on tour for the 15th anniversary!!!!!! of the Silent Alarm album. Holy shit.

Wow. I feel old. I saw them tour off Banquet and it was a great live show.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rich said:

Fuck me this Billie Eilish record is amazing, the baselines and sounds are HUGE.

Been meaning to check this, and I usually trust your opinion when given it so that bodes well.

• Like 1

Okay, now that I've listened to it, I completely get why Billie Eilish is being hyped to hell, but it definitely isn't for me.

You Should See Me In A Crown hits hard though.

• Like 1

New PUP album is out. It's phenomenal. You should all listen to it.

58 minutes ago, Ollie said:

New PUP album is out. It's phenomenal. You should all listen to it.

So gooood

This Life by Vampire Weekend is extraordinary.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, Rich said:

I'm literally, as in maybe 10 minutes ago, starting to listen to her stuff and I'm really digging it. There's a piano version on YouTube from Radio 1 of "The End of the World" that's amazing too.

• Like 3