The 2019 Music Thread

Gorka

• 2 weeks later...

Octo Octa's album Resonant Body is all kinds of amazing. She mixes 90s rave and house so well. Most mainstream house music just has the build up to the drop which misses the point of house music. House music is about creating euphoria and she does it so well. 

• Like 1

I thought that was going to be the Algiers made up of former members of Dartz so was disappointed. :(

On a similar note Spotify have done that weird thing of linking things with the same name, so now mid 2000s Newcastle indie band the Motorettes now have the Jim Henson creations of the same name linked to their artist page.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I normally like Lizzo, but I am so sick of Truth Hurts that it is not even funny. Billie Eilish's Bad Guy is the only song that I am tired of hearing more than it at the moment.

And...damn, Maroon 5's latest, Memories. If I didn't know it was Maroon 5, I wouldn't know it was Maroon 5. (I do like the song.)

22 minutes ago, metalman said:

apparently that new Nick Cave is quite something.

The last time I listened to Nick Cave was probably either Grinderman or maybe Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!

I just looked this album up and it's got numerous 5 star reviews. Gonna have to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently he's been working with Shooter Jennings on his new album, as well as some of Shooter's bandmates. I'm curious.

eh, i don't know. maybe it's because everyone and their momma has been hypin' that fucking song up all weekend, and i've only just now gotten the chance to listen to it, but it's just not hitting the same way as something like Nikes or Pyramid or whatever did in the past. I get that Frank loves to experiment and he evolves on each release (ultra Frank sounds nothing like Channel Orange Frank, who sounds nothing like Blonde Frank...), but this is just falling really flat for me.

It's weird that him and Tyler, The Creator are kind of co-existing on the same creative wavelength right now. Both of them are so unrecognizable from their old selves, even just as recent as a few years ago. 2012/2014 versions of both of them are just totally different from the current day versions, which isn't really a bad thing, but as someone who was a huge fan of both of them back then, it's quite jarring. Makes you think what Frank & Tyler's music will sound like in another 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...