The 2019 Music Thread

Gorka

Found about the MCR news on the night I saw Charli XCX. Best night ever.

I'm genuinely so, so excited for the MCR reunion. 

Been to a bunch of gigs recently; saw Self Esteem and Little Simz last week - two super talented artists delivering insane shows, having the time of their lives & being incredibly humble whilst doing it. Charli XCX was on a very different wave length, but was also mind-blowingly fun. 

Also loving the new Jenny Hval album. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wendy Williams, who I can't stand to begin with, has proven once again that she is an idiot: She's upset that Taylor Swift passed Michael Jackson up for most AMA awards and won Artist of the Decade. Okay, fine. That's her opinion. But what she said that was outrageous is that Taylor Swift wasn't relevant until Kanye West attacked her. 

I already think the Grammys are a joke (The Jethro Tull incident sealed the deal on that), but the fact that Lizzo, Lil Nas X and Billie Eilish have a lot of nominations don't do anything to change my mind. "Truth Hurts" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and it gets played to death on the radio. I am sick to death of "Bad Guy", and you'd think that's the only song Billie Eilish has done at the moment. Lil Nas X is a one-hit wonder right now, and I will not be surprised if he stays that way.

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Wendy Williams, who I can't stand to begin with, has proven once again that she is an idiot: She's upset that Taylor Swift passed Michael Jackson up for most AMA awards and won Artist of the Decade. Okay, fine. That's her opinion. But what she said that was outrageous is that Taylor Swift wasn't relevant until Kanye West attacked her. 

I already think the Grammys are a joke (The Jethro Tull incident sealed the deal on that), but the fact that Lizzo, Lil Nas X and Billie Eilish have a lot of nominations don't do anything to change my mind. "Truth Hurts" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and it gets played to death on the radio. I am sick to death of "Bad Guy", and you'd think that's the only song Billie Eilish has done at the moment. Lil Nas X is a one-hit wonder right now, and I will not be surprised if he stays that way.

I need more hot takes. Are you pro Ariana Grande or was she wrong to lick the doughnut? 

Sounds like these opinions are culled from your experiences with these artists and their songs being overplayed on the radio. Billie Eilish had almost half of the songs on her debut album on the US billboard charts at any given time. Lil Nas X's second single charted in the top 5, but lol yeah one hit wonder. Lizzo sucks so whatever on that one.

OK boomer.

6 hours ago, metalman said:

and what's wrong with jethro tull 😕

They beat Metallica for Best Heavy Metal Album in 1989. Jethro Tull are not, nor ever have been, a heavy metal band. They are prog rock. Tull's "Crest of A Knave" beat out Metallica's "...And Justice For All", which everyone not a voter or member of or fan of Jethro Tull knew was absolute bullshit. 

Tristy, fair point about Lil Nas X. But my point is that the stations here are playing "Bad Guy" to DEATH, and have been for a while. I have not heard any of  her songs other than that played in at least a month. Lizzo sucks, but at least they're playing "Good As Hell" and "Juice" some. Unfortunately, "Truth Hurts" is being played more, despite "Good As Hell" being higher on the charts and sucking less.

Sounds like you have (valid) complaints about radio, not the artists themselves. It's not Billie Eilish's fault that they only play Bad Guy, even though she has a new single from (presumably) a new album, it's charting at #2, but they're still playing the song everyone knows.

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

They beat Metallica for Best Heavy Metal Album in 1989. Jethro Tull are not, nor ever have been, a heavy metal band. They are prog rock. Tull's "Crest of A Knave" beat out Metallica's "...And Justice For All", which everyone not a voter or member of or fan of Jethro Tull knew was absolute bullshit. 

Tristy, fair point about Lil Nas X. But my point is that the stations here are playing "Bad Guy" to DEATH, and have been for a while. I have not heard any of  her songs other than that played in at least a month. Lizzo sucks, but at least they're playing "Good As Hell" and "Juice" some. Unfortunately, "Truth Hurts" is being played more, despite "Good As Hell" being higher on the charts and sucking less.

I need more hot takes. Are you pro or anti Ariana Grande? 

14 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Lizzo's shitty af

Fixed your post.

As for Ariana Grande, I like some of her songs. Some I don't. Same as Taylor Swift. 

*edited to add* To support what I've said before, I was in the car around an hour and 10 minutes today, with about forty five minutes in between the two trips. (My father had to go have a CAT scan done; long story why). Heidi unfortunately wouldn't me change the station, and they played "Truth Hurts" while we were on the way here and on the way back. And guess what? The song right before it on the way back was ""Bad Guy". Its like the station forgot Billie Eilish actually has other songs. 

Edited by GhostMachine