EWB's Favorite Movie 2018: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

We're back! Last year? Last year there was definitely a list determined, definitely on EWB! or maybe somewhere else! Just take my word on it. But we're back to the traditional format this year, and here's the rules:

1. You will be fielding a list of your top ten films of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the films from 1 to 10, the show you listed at 1 gets ten points, the show you listed at 2 gets nine points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch ten movies (or ten movies you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. The films had to be released in their country of origin in 2018. This is going to lead to some sort of irritating loophole I have to ignore but I always try to stick to this rule as best I can anyway.

3. You don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know.

now get voting! The winner's circle comprises of Inglourious Basterds, Inception, The Muppets, The Avengers, The Wolf of Wall Street, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Lady Bird(*). Only you (well, a multitude of you) can determine the next one!

(* - Lady Bird won the title of EWB's Favorite Movie 2017 in an untelevised tournament in Rio de Janeiro.)

I honestly have got so much more to watch (I've yet to watch Burning, Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot, If Beale Street Could Talk and Shoplifters, specifically). No idea if I'll get around to it, but so far, here's what I got:

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Eight Grade
  3. Black Panther
  4. Ralph Breaks the Internet
  5. Roma
  6. Minding the Gap
  7. Incredibles 2
  8. First Man
  9. A Star is Born
  10. Christopher Robin

I would be so happy Christopher Robin somehow got on the list. That movie is fucking darling. I wish I had the time to rewatch A Simple Favor and Thoroughbreds, You Were Never Really Here and Annihilation as well.

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2. GOTO 1

Okay but an actual list:

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2. Sorry to Bother You
3. Incredibles 2
4. BlacKkKlansman
5. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (yes)
6. Black Panther
7. Ralph Breaks the Internet, I guess I'll throw it a vote, I laughed a couple of times, whatever

Edited by Sousa

Now for the fun part where I try and remember what the hell I watched last year...

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Black Panther
3. Incredibles 2
4. Ready Player One
5. Bohemian Rhapsody
6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
7. Deadpool 2
8. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
9. Aquaman
10. Venom

I watched a lot of superhero movies and not a lot else, apparently. Hopefully I remember some others so I don't have to vote for Venom.

1. Infinity War

2. Black Panther

3. Deadpool 2

4. Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse

5. Antman & The Wasp

6. Ready Player One

7. Tag

8. Solo: A Star Wars Story

9. Eighth Grade (I didn't like it... but I apparently I haven't seen enough movies this year)

10. N/A

1. The Nun
2. Black Panther
3. Deadpool 2
4. The Grinch
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
6. Insidious: The Last Key
7. Whitney
8. The First Purge
9. Avengers: Infinity War
10. Slender Man (EVEN THOUGH IT IS LITERALLY THE WORST FILM IVE SEEN IN A LOOOOOOOONG TIME......)

I need to watch more than 10 films next year 

1. The Favourite
2. Hereditary
3. Black Panther
4. Annihilation
5. Roma
6. If Beale Street Could Talk
7. Sorry to Bother You
8. Infinity War
9. Into the Spider-Verse
10. BlackKklansman

1. You Were Never Really Here
2. Bad Times at the El Royale
3. Mid 90s
4. Infinity War
5. Assassination Nation
6. 6 Balloons
7. A Star Is Born
8. Nostalgia
9. Annihilation
10. Hereditary

1. Shoplifters
2. Cold War
3. Infinity War
4. If Beale Street Could Talk
5. BlacKkKlansman
6. The Favourite
7. Into The Spiderverse
8. Peterloo
9. You Were Never Really Here
10. Burning

Missed some big films so far this year - been waiting ages to see Roma in the cinema. Would also love to see Burning and was stupid enough to miss The Rider when I had a chance to see that in the cinema. 

I think I'm probably going to change the rule to something like "A film is eligible if it was a) legally released in your country in the past calendar year and b) hasn't previously appeared on this list." My guess is that's still going to lead to quibbles because of stuff like streaming exclusivity but given the comparatively staggered release dates for movies compared to TV, that's a rule that makes more sense for TV.

Regardless, I'm going to go by the rules we used this year (even though the fact that there wasn't a 2017 list to begin with sort of makes the whole thing weirder), so I'm gonna remove Death of Stalin from my list.

• Like 1

So me and my wife's are two completely different lists, her being a stay at home mom provides her the opportunity to see a lot more than me haha.

Mine are only really seven I can remember:
1. Incredibles 2
2. Rampage
3. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
4. Game Night
5. Ready Player One
6. Maze Runner: The Death Cure
7. Oceans Eight

Hers on the other hand:
1. The Guilty
2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
3. Searching
4. A Star Is Born
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (I really need to watch this)
6. Blindspotting
7. You Were Never Really Here
8. A Quiet Place
9. The Miseducation of Cameron Post
10. Eighth Grade

I'm a little ashamed she saw Spidey, Mission Impossible, and A Quiet Place without me lol I'm really falling behind on my movie quota!