RIP Dick Dale

VerbalPuke

Well fuck. 

Dick was 82, so he certainly had a long and great career. He toured relentlessly and I am now disappointed that I never had a chance to go see him. 

He’s obviously a major figure in the guitar world and an inspiration to many of us. I love surf and naturally I love Dick Dale. 

We lost one of the all-time greats. 

• Sad 3

I got to see Dick 4 times, and each time was a fucking amazing experience. Always a cool dude with a minute to chat after the show, signed a CD, took a picture, and gave me a guitar pick.

The fucking coolest thing ever though is when he was playing this little club in my hometown, and right in the middle of a song, he unplugs from his amp and switches to some kind of wireless gimmick. He then steps off the stage and the crowd parts like the red sea as Dick walks down the middle, and right out the front door of the club. By the time I get out the door, the motherfucker is standing in the middle of the road still shredding away at whatever song was playing, he has traffic stopped in both directions, and in a twist of fate, a thunder storm was rolling in, so lightning was flashing all over the place.

Dick was probably in his mid 60's at this point, so here is this fucking old dude in a leather jacket with his foot on the bumper of some random confused persons car, ripping a fucking guitar solo with a light show in the sky and people pouring out of a club to cheer the whole thing on.

God damndest thing I've ever been a part of!

• Like 1