Your Favourite Player

Adam

Maybe we've done this before, I don't know. Maybe this is inspired entirely by "Football's Greatest: Hristo Stoichkov" being on the teles in the bar at my SU right now...okay that I do know. But let me ask you, who is your favourite player?

Any sport, hell as many sports as you like, but you can only pick one in that sport. No "for me it's Messi and Ronaldo", no "Federer for the men and Serena for the women". One favourite player, and of course why.

From a Spurs perspective I always had a soft spot for Gary Mabbutt as he's from Bristol and was really nice when I met him that one time.

Steelers will likely always be Troy Polamalu as both a player and a role model.

Cricket is Kevin Pietersen, I'm sure many people think he's a dickhead but his talent was immense.

Timberwolves I haven't really followed long enough to have a favourite yet, although if KAT stays around I'm sure he will be.

F1 is Jenson Button as he's a local boy and always embraced the fun side of things.

Edited down to 1 each.

I cannot look past Dennis Bergkamp whenever I get asked this question. 

Simply outstanding to watch, not a goal scorer but a scorer of great goals and some of his assists were breathtaking. He was worth the price of a match ticket all by himself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam said:

Any sport, hell as many sports as you like, but you can only pick one in that sport. No "for me it's Messi and Ronaldo", no "Federer for the men and Serena for the women". One favourite player, and of course why. 

Jimmy Glass.

Forget your Pele, Maradona, Cruijff, Best, Moore and Lisbie... This guy actually had an impact.

Oh and Tony Hawk. I stayed up late to watch the X-Games when he did the 900.

• Like 1

Currently or all time? If currently it would be Sidney Crosby. He's one of the greatest hockey players ever...and most definitely of his time. He can do things on the ice that I'd argue nobody else can do. He always comes off humble as hell and will ultimately give just about anyone else credit above taking it for himself. He's just an all around great player that people love to hate on.

If we're going with all time then I'd go with Patrick Roy. He was the first hockey player that I ever watched and it got me interested in hockey. I've always been more of a player person rather than a team. I followed Roy from Montreal to Colorado. Once he retired I stuck with Colorado because I had grown to be a Sakic and Forsberg fan. When Crosby came along and I became a fan with him then I started cheering Pittsburgh. I believe Roy to be the best goaltender of all time despite the fact that Brodeur holds a lot of the records now.

• Like 2

Related image

I loved Van der Vaart from when he was at Ajax. I used to play as Ajax on Championship/Football Manager when he was still a teenager and always built my team around him. Waking up to find out he'd signed for us on transfer deadline day was the most excited I have ever been about a signing. He was amazing. Adored the club, was ab absolute class act on the pitch and knew what it meant to the fans to score against Arsenal. Gutted that he left and by all accounts he is too.

Image result for david millar

David Millar doped. He spoke about it very clearly in his book. He explained why and asked for no sympathy despite the huge pressures he was under in the doping culture at the time. He then came back as an outspoken advocate for clean cycling and put in some beautiful years of riding. He understood (now retired) that cycling is a perfect mix of beautiful highs, terrible lows, romantic but doomed attacks and the horrible physical pain. He was a class act on and off the bike. The French loved him because of his panache and he is the ONLY Brit to hold all Tour jerseys and was the first Brit to wear the leaders jerseys for the Tour, Giro and Vuelta.

Image result for john stockton

When I was really into basketball in the '90s I was a Utah Jazz fan. I LOVED John Stockton - his three point shooting, his steals, his insane amount of assists (a huge lead over every other player before or after) and totally ran every game. Legend on the court and his combo with Karl Malone was fantastic. Great team back then.

• Like 1

Mine was Peter Beardsley, in playing style the closest I've seen to a British Messi, and the number of assists he put in for Andy Cole was phenomenal. But then he said those things to the foreign lads. Dog dirt.

• Like 1