RIP Scott Walker

Hobo

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47691705?__twitter_impression=true

I'm in no real position to speak on Scott Walker with any real degrees of expertise but he sure had a really varied career. It's remarkable. He's one of those people who you dont realise you actually know one of his songs until you hear it.

He's an absolute musical idol of mine - as you say, just an utterly remarkable, extraordinary career.

Even ignoring the teen pop stuff in the '50s, and starting at the Walker Brothers, he could go from a '60s crooner in what was essentially a teen heart-throb boy band to, fifty years later, recording an album with an avant-metal drone band is incredible, and that you can chart that process and see it more or less make sense is even more incredible. It's a career trajectory that would be unthinkable today, not least of all because no artist of his fame would be allowed the creative freedom to follow such tangents, or to spend the better part of a decade allowing an album to gestate.

"Tilt" is one of the greatest albums of all time, when I first heard it, being only notionally aware of his work outside the Walker Brothers' hits, it felt like I was listening to the future of music - and the album was already more than a decade old at that point!

I'm kind of a casual fan, I've listened to all the 'Scott's on spotify, and have been meaning for ages to get listening to his later stuff, though my usual listening times of at work or while cooking aren't exactly suited to experimental meat punching. What I will say though is that his 4 songs on Niteflights (especially the title track) are absolutely gorgeous. Just that voice, it's amazing.

If BBC4 show that documentary again, which I imagine they will given his death, I would highly recommend it

My girlfriend's first tattoo was of a Scott Walker song lyric. I've only really gotten to know his work through her. Although I knew the big Walker Brothers hits.

Yesterday, to be honest, was my first real deep dive into his work on my own.