Good but flawed games

Benji

I just remembered Mafia III. Beautiful game, great story, stunning setting... completely let down my repetitive gameplay. I completed it purely because I was so invested in the story but it was such a slog.

17 minutes ago, Benji said:

Was that stuff about save corruption a legit thing that could happen? I played through it all in one sitting 😂

It was a ruse! Added just to scare people. Even if you died 500 times, the corruption would never go past a certain part.

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

Rainbow Six Siege.

I remember having the original one on PC many moons ago. It was really good... jump forwards many years and it is just your regular online multi shooter.

1 hour ago, The Stevie B Experience said:

The Getaway. It looked amazing, and was so good to have a very detailed map of London as the setting. I enjoyed the story... well as much as I could handle anyways since the gameplay was just awful. 

I remember driving up a load of narrow one way streets before clambering out my car to take part in a cumbersome and awkward shoot-em up experience before clambering back into my car and crashing into a bollard.

So London.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Stevie B Experience said:

The Getaway. It looked amazing, and was so good to have a very detailed map of London as the setting. I enjoyed the story... well as much as I could handle anyways since the gameplay was just awful.  

I was gutted I couldn't drive to my house. Closest I could get was my old college near Shoreditch.

11 minutes ago, Jericode said:

So OP.

Anyway the only flaw Siege has is that certain people decide to Fuze the guy planting the defuser. 

And teamkill me twice in a row more importantly <_<

But back on topic, Assasain’s Creed would be dope if it was just stories based in historical points in time. All the time warping, animus bollocks kills the immersion of it for me.

• Like 3

I've played and generally enjoyed most of them over time but there's always been problems. Things like far too many collectables, repetitive side quests (not an AC problem but gaming one that) and extra things to do which makes burn out a problem with the games. The animus, precursors and all of the modern day stuff is the worst misstep to me. Not only does it over complicate things (I think the assassins/templars never ending war should be enough myself...) but the "run around a location for 10 minutes to read an email or two then go back to the fun story" bits just drag. It's been there since the beginning so I would love to know why they felt the games needed that framing device. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

I've played and generally enjoyed most of them over time but there's always been problems. Things like far too many collectables, repetitive side quests (not an AC problem but gaming one that) and extra things to do which makes burn out a problem with the games. The animus, precursors and all of the modern day stuff is the worst misstep to me. Not only does it over complicate things (I think the assassins/templars never ending war should be enough myself...) but the "run around a location for 10 minutes to read an email or two then go back to the fun story" bits just drag. It's been there since the beginning so I would love to know why they felt the games needed that framing device. 

I definitely agree. It's the quintessential Ubisoft sandbox syndrome (not to pick on them too much as others are doing it too now, although Ubisoft seem to be at the forefront). You've got plenty of fun things to do, but they're interspersed with sections that are more tedious than enjoyable, and they're more often than not copy-and-paste affairs that serve only to add a few more pointless hours to the experience.

It's one of the things that the Yakuza games get right. They have side-quests that are story-driven and mini-games that are fun and varied, and they're also entirely optional. My opinion is that if something isn't fun after you've already done it once or twice, it's better left alone.

On 18/04/2019 at 09:08, Mick said:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

So...I'm not good at fighting games. I've excepted that. More often than not I can't pull off a Shoryuken or a Flash Kick, and combos? Unless it's something simple, forget it. Xenoverse 2 took a lot of that away and made it pretty simple, and I love that about the game. No complicated combos, no charging, you want to pull of a move it's like L1+a button. 

And as a Dragon Ball fan, I like that I can make a character, customize their looks etc, and load them up with clothing options from the series to complete said look. THAT BEING SAID...what I don't care for is that the vast majority of clothes, you cannot customize the coloring. Thankfully, there are mods to fix that, but my point is that the fans shouldn't be the ones implementing fixes like that. 

On top of that, as your character progresses through the story, you can unlock other characters from the Dragon Ball franchise to either fight against, play as, or assist you in various missions. BUUUT....it's only for that specific character. Meaning if I start a new character, I have to go through the whole grind process again, and on top of that, there is no New Game+ or anything like that. THANKFULLY moves and gear you unlock can be used by any character you make, but still, it's annoying. 

You think the clothes coloring would have been fixed after XV1 but nope, they just added in more that can be colored.

On 18/04/2019 at 09:08, Mick said:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

So...I'm not good at fighting games. I've excepted that. More often than not I can't pull off a Shoryuken or a Flash Kick, and combos? Unless it's something simple, forget it. Xenoverse 2 took a lot of that away and made it pretty simple, and I love that about the game. No complicated combos, no charging, you want to pull of a move it's like L1+a button. 

And as a Dragon Ball fan, I like that I can make a character, customize their looks etc, and load them up with clothing options from the series to complete said look. THAT BEING SAID...what I don't care for is that the vast majority of clothes, you cannot customize the coloring. Thankfully, there are mods to fix that, but my point is that the fans shouldn't be the ones implementing fixes like that. 

On top of that, as your character progresses through the story, you can unlock other characters from the Dragon Ball franchise to either fight against, play as, or assist you in various missions. BUUUT....it's only for that specific character. Meaning if I start a new character, I have to go through the whole grind process again, and on top of that, there is no New Game+ or anything like that. THANKFULLY moves and gear you unlock can be used by any character you make, but still, it's annoying. 

You think the clothes coloring would have been fixed after XV1 but nope, they just added in more that can be colored.