Sonic The Hedgehog

Ruki

On 30/04/2019 at 18:20, Kaney said:

That looked dreadful but for some reason Jim Carrey with the whole Dr Robotnik moustache at the end was the best bit. Is Sonic an alien now? Does that make more or less sense than just....a hedgehog? I don't know what the audience for this is going to be.

Most of the TV shows and comics and stuff aren't set on Earth, they're on a talking animal planet called Mobius, so Sonic has kind of always been an alien.

I don't know why they didn't just make him more cartoony, he looks freaky as hell, and the "humour" is so 70-year-old-executive-trying-to-seem-cool. The whole thing just looks horrific.

An artist for game developer Sucker Punch reworked Sonic to make him look less creepy, and it looks so much better

D5aghA6UYAAp0gP.jpg

On 30/04/2019 at 12:08, apsham said:

I think all they needed to do to make Sonic look normal was make it a uni-eye.

SONICEYESFIXEDPic1.png

Regardless, I think that all the blowup over this is a bit much for what this movie is.

I feel like that's a large part of why fandoms explode the way they do though. The idea that "It's not that bad... for what it is" feels like a massive copout to people who are invested.

I like Sonic, but I never loved Sonic, so I really am not phased at all by this. To me, it's just another movie that I may end up watching with my nieces at some point, but if I never see it, I won't care.

But when you're a massive fan of something, and they announce there's going to be a movie, you hope that they treat it with respect and that it turns out well. Then, when you see the trailer and it has Street Fighter: The Movie vibes... in 2019... it has to be pretty disappointing.

For me, I would imagine that the way a lot of people are blowing up is how I would feel if they released a trailer for a new Mortal Kombat live action film, and it reeked of the original Mortal Kombat movie. There would be a lot of people saying stuff like "Don't be so upset. It's not that bad for what the movie is." But the problem would be, that the movie never should be that in the first place... right?

It's just a standards thing, really. If you're going to make a film, or franchise, out of an existing property, you really should do your absolute best to capture what it is that the fans of that property are in love with, treat the material with respect, and learn from the mistakes of past adaptations. What it looks like they've done here, is watched all those really bad adaptations from the 90's and tried to recreate that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I feel like that's a large part of why fandoms explode the way they do though. The idea that "It's not that bad... for what it is" feels like a massive copout to people who are invested.

I like Sonic, but I never loved Sonic, so I really am not phased at all by this. To me, it's just another movie that I may end up watching with my nieces at some point, but if I never see it, I won't care.

But when you're a massive fan of something, and they announce there's going to be a movie, you hope that they treat it with respect and that it turns out well. Then, when you see the trailer and it has Street Fighter: The Movie vibes... in 2019... it has to be pretty disappointing.

For me, I would imagine that the way a lot of people are blowing up is how I would feel if they released a trailer for a new Mortal Kombat live action film, and it reeked of the original Mortal Kombat movie. There would be a lot of people saying stuff like "Don't be so upset. It's not that bad for what the movie is." But the problem would be, that the movie never should be that in the first place... right?

It's just a standards thing, really. If you're going to make a film, or franchise, out of an existing property, you really should do your absolute best to capture what it is that the fans of that property are in love with, treat the material with respect, and learn from the mistakes of past adaptations. What it looks like they've done here, is watched all those really bad adaptations from the 90's and tried to recreate that.

It's a Sonic property, standards doesn't enter into the conversation. :shifty:

Sonic has barely any identity as it is - goofy as fuck and tied into the 90s is pretty much all it has for mass appeal these days, so I'm not shocked that they'd lean in on making it seem like a bad 90s video game franchise movie... mostly because people never shut up about bad 90s video game franchise movies for better or for worse. It's morbid curiosity at this point.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look good by any means... but the level of backlash it's received is a bit silly because it's mostly from people who wouldn't care about it in the first place anyways.

1 hour ago, tristy said:

They're changing the design of Sonic after all the backlash after the trailer debuted.

I'm amazed they're only bothering now - it's been happening since the leak and the poster with the legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tristy said:

They're changing the design of Sonic after all the backlash after the trailer debuted.

To be clear, I think this is way worse than actually just making a bad ugly Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

• Like 1

I don't give a diddly about Sonic but I imagine what's felt is what I felt when I saw the Rainbow Robots that were supposed to be Power Rangers. Kinda spitefully hope the studio doesn't change him. :P

On 03/05/2019 at 03:17, Gabriel said:

I enjoyed both of those. :crying:

• Like 2

Mortal Kombat is fucking awesome. I even like the second one everybody shits on.

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2019 at 02:52, Sousa said:

To be clear, I think this is way worse than actually just making a bad ugly Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

100% this.

I have a friend who worked on the live action Beauty & The Beast as a costume designer. The Beast was originally going to be live action, and she'd worked on the costume and physical effects for months. One day, someone in a boardroom decided that he should be CGI instead, and my friend's entire department were sacked with zero notice. That's exactly the sort of thing that will happen here.