Sign in to follow this  
Lineker

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Manchester City are set to beat Manchester United to the signature of the Sporting midfielder Bruno Fernandes. Pep Guardiola has been monitoring the Portugal international for a considerable time and City have now lodged a €55m (£47.2m) bid with the team currently third in the Portuguese league.

United inquired about the possibility of signing the 24-year-old last month but City have jumped ahead of their rivals in the queue and expect to conclude the deal in the next few weeks. Fernandes, an attacking midfielder who prefers to play centrally, has 19 goals and 13 assists in 31 league games this season.

City’s sporting director, Txiki Begiristain, has been in discussions with his Sporting counterpart, Hugo Viana, and they have edged towards an agreement in the past few weeks. Fernandes has a buyout clause of €100m (£86m) but City are confident they can secure a deal for considerably less with the help of one or two players going in the opposite direction.

Fernandes has 11 caps for Portugal, winning the first one of those in August 2017. He has had an unusual career path as he joined Novara in Italy from Boavista at the age of 17, without having played a first-team game in Portugal, and represented Udinese and Sampdoria before signing for Sporting for €8.5m in 2017.

United beat City to the signing of Sanchez

Joao Felix rumoured to follow the same path of choosing city over utd

Aberdeen captain Graeme Shinnie has signed a pre-contract deal with Derby.

2 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Aberdeen captain Graeme Shinnie has signed a pre-contract deal with Derby.

But would he choose City over United?

Get the unlimited oil war chest out lads. We need to sign even more of the best players in the world!!!!! :shifty:

Me and @stokeriño will be over here hoping that we at least get something out of this year's summer window 😕

4 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Me and @stokeriño will be over here hoping that we at least get something out of this year's summer window 😕

Phase 1: Sit by and watch us loan out a tonne of players before we even know if we're allowed to bring anyone in or not.

Phase 2: Experience Hazard's departure stretched out for as long as physically possible just to inflict more limbo and/or false hope on us all.

Phase 3: Convince ourselves that Pulisic is three times as good as he actually is. And that Barkley is suddenly as good as Lampard possibly maybe.

Phase 4: Pin all hopes on RLC and CHO (even though the latter will still be injured for months).

Phase 5: Cry.

I'm more interested in whether or not we sign Higuain permanently. He's surely not thought of as a long term solution?

I doubt we'd sign him on that ridiculous fee (if we're even able to do anything). Didn't his deal also have an option for another year's loan extension?

Yeah I think it was half of whatever the permanent fee was. Can see that being likely with this potential transfer ban looming.

58 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Get the unlimited oil war chest out lads. We need to sign even more of the best players in the world!!!!! :shifty:

Didn't Liverpool outspend City last year? :shifty: 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Didn't Liverpool outspend City last year? :shifty: 

by £109m 

First time we've actually spent more than we've made in god knows how long but let's ignore that fact shall we...

11 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

First time we've actually spent more than we've made in god knows how long but let's ignore that fact shall we...

Just think, if they weren't around you'd be pissing the league! >_>

12 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Just think, if they weren't around you'd be pissing the league! >_>

And you'd still be Tottenham :shifty:

It'll be interesting to see how many players Fulham sell. Cairney signed a new contract though, which is interesting.

They'll still take it to CAS.

8 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Chelsea lost their appeal so think we can just skip this thread now lads @stokeriño @Naitch

You mean you wouldn't want to keep up-to-date on the latest Hazard-to-Madrid gossip? :shifty: 

If I don't read it I can pretend he's staying.

8 minutes ago, Jericode said:

If I don't read it I can pretend he's staying.

*Tabloids witter away about a deal being close*

Jericode: "It's just a little gossip! It's still good! It's still good!"

*BBC etc. claim that deal has been agreed*

Jericode: "It's just a little news piece! It's still good! It's still good!"

*Hazard literally gets on a plane to Madrid*

Jericode: "He's just a little airborne! It's still good! It's still-"

Me: "He's gone."

Jericode: "I know." :crying: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Could Chelsea in theory, still sign say Higuain if there was a pre-agreement when he signed on loan that if Chelsea wanted to make it permanent they would pay such and such? 

Could be a blessing in disguise for some of the fringe players/youth players in having a chance to shine. 

I expect an appeal to CAS and possible delay till the winter window

Full write-up:

Chelsea’s appeal to Fifa against the imposition of a two-window transfer ban has been rejected, meaning that the club will take their case to the court of arbitration for sport (Cas) in the hope of having the sanction reduced or overturned.

Chelsea will also seek an interim ruling at Cas to ask for their ban to be frozen while the final appeal is heard – which, if it is granted, could allow them to sign players this summer. The Fifa appeals body had insisted that the punishment begin in the summer, even though Chelsea’s appeal was in train – much to the club’s amazement.

Chelsea were found to have broken a host of rules regarding their dealings with under-18 players from foreign countries over a number of years; they were charged with 92 breaches of article 19 alone – the most serious offence – and found guilty of 29 of those cases.

Fifa’s disciplinary committee handed down the two-window ban in February and Chelsea immediately announced their intention to appeal to the governing body. It always felt as though that appeal would be doomed to failure – and they would have a better chance of winning concessions at Cas – and that has proved to be the case.

Fifa did, however, announce a small adjustment to the original punishment. Chelsea’s ban will not cover the registration of minors under the age of 16 who do not fall under the scope of article 19 – in other words, players from the United Kingdom.

Fifa’s basic rule is that clubs cannot bring in players under 18 from other countries, unless their parents have emigrated for reasons not connected to football or both the player and club are based within 50km of a national border. Under article 19, the only other exception is for transfers within either the European Union or European Economic Area where the player is aged between 16 and 18. Chelsea’s fine of 600,000 Swiss francs (£453,000) stands.

“The club is very disappointed that the transfer ban of two consecutive registration periods was not overturned,” Chelsea said in a statement. “Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the Fifa appeal committee. It acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will appeal the decision to the court of arbitration for sport.”

Chelsea felt that they were treated unfairly by the Fifa appeals committee when their request to freeze the ban, pending the completion of their appeal, was rejected. They pointed to leeway granted to Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid, who had all successfully delayed bans by appealing, and suggested the governing body was guilty of double standards.

Fifa had clearly moved to prevent clubs emulating their counterparts in Spain by seeking tactical delays to the process in order to buy new players in anticipation of a ban yet it also believed new cases would be heard far more swiftly than in the past.

Chelsea said in February they were “astonished” by Fifa’s decision not to suspend the sanction pending completion of the appeal process. They added: “So far as the club is aware, in all previous cases where a registration ban has been imposed by Fifa, a decision has also been made to suspend the sanction until the appeal process has been completed. In this case, Chelsea considers that it is being treated inconsistently in comparison with other European clubs.”

Chelsea maintain that they acted in accordance with the relevant regulations. The club have always said that the majority of the cases involved short-term trialists at their academy, who did not go on to sign. They argued there is no law against trying out under-18 international players, that it is common practice across Europe and, as such, they believed these cases ought not to have been included in the final judgment.

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Could Chelsea in theory, still sign say Higuain if there was a pre-agreement when he signed on loan that if Chelsea wanted to make it permanent they would pay such and such? 

Could be a blessing in disguise for some of the fringe players/youth players in having a chance to shine. 

I expect an appeal to CAS and possible delay till the winter window

I'd rather not tbh. Keep Giroud around and don't bother sending Batshuayi or Abraham out on loan for the umpteenth time. I'm sure one of the three can develop something resembling form long enough to keep us challenging for Europe until the ban ends. Giroud is at least a better fit than Higuain and the other two would hopefully want to prove a point that they actually belong in the team after being shipped out year on year.