2019 College Football Thread

12 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

George Atkinson III has died, almost a year after his twin brother Josh's death by suicide. Atkinson went undrafted out of Notre Dame in 2014 and was signed by the Raiders.

He's been through so much in the last year or so, no death is good, but I hope it didn't happen how I suspect it did.

He also lost his mother during that time.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/former-notre-dame-running-back-george-atkinson-iii-dead-at/article_50877e94-4c80-550e-943b-3e05696b00f4.html

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma
7. Baylor

My hope is that LSU beats Georgia, Ohio State wins, Clemson wins, and Utah wins, so we get 1) Ohio State vs. 4) Utah and 2) LSU vs. 3) Clemson. 

But I'm expecting Utah to lose and likely Oklahoma getting in. I don't hate Oklahoma as much as I use to when Bob Stoops was there, but I'd still rather see Utah or Baylor get that #4.

• Like 1

LSU vs. Clemson would be a great matchup. But I hope Ohio State loses. Don't see it happening, but anything is possible. At least Alabama and Notre Dame aren't in the running.....

Sadly, i've a feeling you might be right about Utah and Oklahoma. 

I haven't been this nervous for a Utes game in years. This is the best I've seen this team look since 2004. And with how many seniors we have and the talent they have, I'm starting to believe this is our year.

The Pac-12 has to consider moving their championship game out of Levi Stadium. Second year in a row the stadium is more than half empty. Put it in a location where people actually want to go.

Actually now that I type that, isn't there talk about them moving it to Las Vegas once the Raiders move there? Pac-12 needs that desperately, because half a stadium of fans for their conference championship is MAC-level bush. 

This game has taught me that I should never get my hopes up about a team from Utah. Utes, Jazz, RSL...they all can get so close or seem so good...and not be able to make that last step in the end.

I'm never one to point to the "they haven't beaten anyone!" crap, because in college football, you play who you play. But they were only really tested twice this year, once was a close win against a 7-5 Washington, and another was a loss to an 8-4 USC. They're a talented bunch, but I don't think I ever considered them one of the best teams in the country after watching them play the last few weeks. 

Still, 11-2 is nothing to be ashamed of. Could still maybe get a NY6 bowl out of the deal depending on how the committee rates this loss. 

Trevor Lawrence may be the #1 pick in 2021.

But Kayvon Thibodeaux may be the #1 pick in 2022. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I’m confused how Utah got ranked so high with that schedule and that USC loss.

I don't really think the committee pays much attention outside of records. Georgia, Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor are all clustered together and they're the only 11-1 Power-5 teams. I'd love for them to allow access into their discussion just once to see what those egg-heads actually talk about and argue.