Things In Video Games That Need To Go Away

Draevyn

What are things that you feel need to go away when it comes to video games?

My two biggest ones are Micro Transactions/Pay To Win games and video games focused only on Multi-player. I don't mind multi-player modes but games should also have a story. I feel like doing multi-player/battle royal type games lack a lot of creativity.

1. I'm with you Fork and and I especially hate seeing primarily Single Player games that are awesome spend big money and time on primarily multiplayer experience (Ex. Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy XI/XIV - I'm not an MMO guy so I am biased but still lol
  2. And yes, Micro transactions as well.
  3. Games that get released 1 episode at a time - just finish the game

I think the collapse of Telltale has shown that putting out episodic games isn't a sustainable strategy, I can see it dying off.

I've got no issue with MMOs but the pay-to-win aspect needs to stop, if there's no skill to it then there's no fun.

From a personal standpoint I absolutely hate Battle Royale game modes, just bin them all.

Quick time event bosses is another one. Why should I care about fighting through a shit load of people if I subsequently kill the boss by pressing three buttons within a time-limit?

'Pro' versions of consoles are dumb.

Also, multiplayer-only games.

I go on about this all the time, but the way that wild animals have been over-aggressified in most games to be thoughtless killing machines just to give the player the "thrill" of killing them just disgusts me.

Jump scares in games that don't need it, if I wanted to play a horror game I would, but I hate them, so I don't. The biggest one that comes to mind is first encountering Man-Bat in Arkham Knight, that stopped me playing the whole game for a good few days.

Also, games that require you to be online/signed in at all times or they just stop. Forza has been the one that's angered me the most with this, considering it allows you to play an offline mode, but then as soon as your account gets signed out it restarts.

Also, backwards compatibility was something the PS2 could do with the original PS, why on Earth has it taken so long for it to be possible for any other PlayStation console to manage it?

• Like 1

Just now, OctoberRaven said:

'Pro' versions of consoles are dumb.

I thought so before I got the One X but god damn is it nice. As long as it's not overdone and comes mid-way through a generation, I'm fine with it - but then again that time and era is probably done anyways with streaming on its way during/after this gen.

36 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Also, backwards compatibility was something the PS2 could do with the original PS, why on Earth has it taken so long for it to be possible for any other PlayStation console to manage it?

It's completely possible, PS3 notwithstanding. Sony just knows that people are willing to pay for remasters, so it took away backwards compatibility to make some extra cash.

Well there was a difference in architecture that made it far more costly. The early PS3s could do it essentially because they have a PS2 INSIDE of them as well - and that just wasn't cost effective. Xbox had to put time and money specifically into causing the One to simulate a 360 which is hard as fuck to do as well. These days it's a different story - hence PS5 and Project Scarlet both being backwards compatible.

Pre order bonuses that affect in game content are infuriating.

I know why it's done, but I don't want to buy a game at a later date and have content that's completely unattainable.

Also, day one dlc has no right to exist ever. There is good DLC out there, but they tend to be rare.

I love Paradox titles, but they are all money sinks and unreasonably expensive after a certain point. And most DLC lock away features that the ai will have available, making it a slog to play a paradox title without having the entire package. Which can number into the hundreds of bucks if you have to get into this nowadays.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I love Paradox titles, but they are all money sinks and unreasonably expensive after a certain point. And most DLC lock away features that the ai will have available, making it a slog to play a paradox title without having the entire package. Which can number into the hundreds of bucks if you have to get into this nowadays.

I can't imagine clicking the "buy this game with all DLC as well" button on Steam that would literally take £200+ from you in one fell swoop. I only ended up with all the EU4 DLC by occasional whims that added up over months without me really realising.

It's also pretty much the main reason why I refuse to let myself play even vanilla CK2 these days. Frankly, I can't afford to learn to enjoy it.

Not a major one but this is something that bugs me. In some games where you either have to follow a character or they have to follow you, but either you walk slower than their speed or when you run you are faster than them. That really annoys me. Witcher III had the right idea about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

The cost of controllers is kind of fucked. The fact that a basic package of a system not automatically having two controllers is shit. 

For real. I went to get two more Joy-cons for the Switch. Fools want $80 for them little things? The hell, you say.

• Like 1

This is not so much to do with the games themselves, but the industry. Development studios need to cut down on the "crunch" mentality that's been leading to 100+ hour working weeks for its employees. Red Dead Redemption 2, for example, is a fantastic game, but not so much that I wouldn't have been happy for it to be released several months later so that dozens of people didn't have to almost kill themselves to get it finished on time.

• Like 2

In defense of Paradox, their DLC plan is still preferable to the alternative of "Buy a whole new game with a few more features every year".

Also, they're not the biggest offenders in this method of DLC. Not even close.

Don't believe me? Look up the DLC for Train Simulator games.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Fork Fork said:

What are things that you feel need to go away when it comes to video games?

Electronic Arts <_< . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1