Things In Video Games That Need To Go Away

Draevyn

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

Sounds good to me. But open up fast travel once you've completed the game. Like in RDR2, I've finished the main game and sometimes I just like to ride around, do a bit of hunting and fishing and generally enjoy the scenery.

For me I'd be okay with Fast Travel going away as long as getting from Point A to B is interesting. For me I have fun swinging my way through Spiderman but I find it sometimes tedious in RDR or GTA.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Fork Fork said:

For me I'd be okay with Fast Travel going away as long as getting from Point A to B is interesting. For me I have fun swinging my way through Spiderman but I find it sometimes tedious in RDR or GTA.

RDR2 I found was very relaxing getting from point A to point B. Different strokes, I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDK said:

RDR2 I found was very relaxing getting from point A to point B. Different strokes, I guess.

For me I think it was mainly because I was in a hurry to beat the game so travelling across the plain several times to get to missions was just annoying. I wasn't looking for relaxing. I was looking to get the shit done.

2 minutes ago, The Fork Fork said:

For me I think it was mainly because I was in a hurry to beat the game so travelling across the plain several times to get to missions was just annoying. I wasn't looking for relaxing. I was looking to get the shit done.

I honestly kept getting distracted by wildlife. Even online I just go around duck hunting, heh.

I've not got to RDR2 yet, but so many missions in GTAV involved driving somewhere at the opposite end of the map that getting around just became tedious. Half the time I was only switching character to find someone closer to something interesting. Happy to get rid of fast travel as long as there's something to do.

See, in RDR2 I often run into random interactions whilst doing a long ride, or the scenery is just amazing, so it's not something that's bothered me. With GTA, there wasn't much of that and lots of driving so once the radio got repetitive it did become tedious. I also used to switch characters to move around the map quickly sometimes.

I would want to add fast travel here, but if you've ever played a Bethesda game you know that sometimes you just get stuck and fast travel is your only escape.

22 minutes ago, Rocky Champ Champ said:

RDR2 fast travel isn’t necessarily needed if you just use cinematic mode and just sit back while the horse carries you to your destination. I use it all the time online to get to/from mission points.

Do you know how many times I did that and my horse still tripped over a deer or some other type of animal? Maybe I just had a stupid horse...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me, I would say the ridiculous prices of digital games. Theres no box, artwork, manual, or physical disc, and it's not possible to trade in a digital game when you're done with it. Its absurd that it can cost regularly a lot more to download a game than it does to buy a copy from a store.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Kaney said:

For me, I would say the ridiculous prices of digital games. Theres no box, artwork, manual, or physical disc, and it's not possible to trade in a digital game when you're done with it. Its absurd that it can cost regularly a lot more to download a game than it does to buy a copy from a store.

This always makes me laugh. There will be a game I want that goes on sale digitally for like $20, but in stores, it's still $80... but it goes the other way too. I've found games at stores that were ridiculously cheap, but I wanted to go digital with them for one reason or another... got home, checked the online store and found them at $80 still. That usually happens with older games too, which makes no sense to me.

Or, a better example, I guess... would be when I bought MLB 18 on the PS4, I got it on a half price sale. MLB 17, at that time, was priced at $50 digital, which is $10 more than the newer game was.

I feel like digital game pricing should just get lower over time. It's weird to look at games you can get for $15 at an EB Games on the Playstation or Xbox stores and see them at damn near full price for the digital copy.

I think that physical games tend to decrease in price more quickly in the UK than they do in North America. I often used to be surprised at the excitement in America over Black Friday deals for games because they were still usually more expensive than the same games over here.

7 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I think that physical games tend to decrease in price more quickly in the UK than they do in North America. I often used to be surprised at the excitement in America over Black Friday deals for games because they were still usually more expensive than the same games over here.

That used to bother me so much, but mostly because I had a decent chunk of customers who had moved here from the UK. Some of them were cool about it, understanding that it's cultural differences or the market is different or whatever... but there were a few who just absolutely sucked. I can remember one guy in particular just laying into me about the fact that the game he wanted was half the price if he bought it over in the UK, and I just let him yell for a minute and then told him that I don't set the pricing, that it sucks and that there wasn't anything I could do aside from empathize with him.

I think it was Fallout 4, because I can remember a lot of people being pissy about how long it took for that game to get a significant permanent price drop. I think our used copies of the game were above $50 for more than a year.

Personally I have stopped caring for getting the game at first release and have become a lot more interested in finding second hand deals (for PS4 titles), and then keeping an eye on digital storefronts for good sales that will allow me to get the game for 50/70% off compared to its normal price.

There's barely any game that I MUST get at release anymore, because I have too many games to play anyways.

• Like 2

The last new game I bought was GTAV in 2013. Pricing is a little ridiculous, especially for annual games when you can get them for 1% of their release cost just by waiting a couple of years. This is worthwhile for me because I don't have any interest in online gaming. I've never played Ultimate Team on FIFA and, while the concept does interest me, I wouldn't even consider spunking £50 for the privilege each yer.

On 14/06/2019 at 12:27, Benji said:

I feel like I would prefer this as part of a difficulty setting/mode. Sort of like a "survival" mode, but still have the option to fast travel on lower difficulties.

I like this. 

I love the exploration, I think its just on the repeat play throughs I like to use it.