Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

You could argue well the likes of Owen, Fowler, Sheringham, Les Ferdinand and Defoe could be on there for the amount of goals they've scored before some of the others

Just had a quick look at the actual all time top scorers list and Cole is still at 3, so I'm still confused as to 10th, but also Frank Lampard is 5th with only 3 goals less than Aguero. Was he discussed at all? I should watch this really.

2 minutes ago, Colly said:

Just had a quick look at the actual all time top scorers list and Cole is still at 3, so I'm still confused as to 10th, but also Frank Lampard is 5th with only 3 goals less than Aguero. Was he discussed at all? I should watch this really.

Frank Lampard had over 600 PL appearances.

Sergio Aguero hasn't yet hit 300.

I'm going to assume they were primarily looking at guys who had a high strike rate more than just goals scored.

Just a personal thing but Henry should be number two, quite possibly the most talented striker I’ve seen. 

Ronaldo had that 30+ goal season at the end of the naughts, right? Presume that’s why he was included. Question is why isn’t Van Persie there? 

Why didn't they just call it strikers? If they did, they could always say they took other factors into account. Why call it top goalscorers if that's something you can actually measure? One can argue that the top goal scorers are the ones who... score... the most... goals. If that's the case how can Andy Cole be so low?

I do understand they may consider number of goals scored in a single season for those with fewer EPL seasons but still...

9 minutes ago, Liam said:

Frank Lampard had over 600 PL appearances.

Sergio Aguero hasn't yet hit 300.

I'm going to assume they were primarily looking at guys who had a high strike rate more than just goals scored.

What about Andy Cole being lower than Drogba in the list, then? Better total and better average and yet is 10th while Drogba is 6th?

5 minutes ago, Malenko said:

What about Andy Cole being lower than Drogba in the list, then? Better total and better average and yet is 10th while Drogba is 6th?

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that there won't be some weird placements and they won't stick rigidly to it, but I'll assume they're up around similar-ish strike rates by that point? From that point, you can start to make an argument around personal preferences, who played for who, the success of the team around them, etc etc.

The article they put up where we could submit our own lists did focus on goal ratio a fair bit too.

I had Cole higher, they said they weren't even going to have him in the debate but Ian Wright forfeited his own place because he felt Cole deserved to be in there.

I had Shearer, Henry and Aguero top three. I wouldn't have even had Suarez on the list, above Fernando Torres? Or a clutch of others.

Here's the goals per game ration ranked or everyone who scored more than 100 goals. Gives a good balance of productivity and longevity. RVN, Ronaldo and Suarez all scored less than 100 so I've added them to the list too. Looking at it, I don't think Ronaldo should be in the top 10 personally.

Rank Player Nationality Goals Games Ratio
1 Sergio Agüero Argentina 180 261 0.69
2 Thierry Henry France 175 258 0.68
3 Harry Kane England 136 201 0.68
4 Ruud Van Nistelrooy Netherlands 95 150 0.63
5 Luis Suarez Uruguay 69 110 0.63
6 Alan Shearer England 260 441 0.59
7 Ian Wright England 113 213 0.53
8 Robin van Persie Netherlands 144 280 0.51
9 Michael Owen England 150 326 0.46
10 Andy Cole England 187 414 0.45
11 Romelu Lukaku Belgium 113 252 0.45
12 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink Netherlands 127 288 0.44
13 Robbie Fowler England 163 379 0.43
14 Cristiano Ronaldo Portugal 84 196 0.43
15 Wayne Rooney England 208 494 0.42
16 Les Ferdinand England 149 351 0.42
17 Didier Drogba Ivory Coast 104 254 0.41
18 Darren Bent England 106 276 0.38
19 Matt Le Tissier England 100 270 0.37
20 Robbie Keane Republic of Ireland 126 349 0.36
21 Dion Dublin England 111 312 0.36
22 Teddy Sheringham England 146 418 0.35
23 Nicolas Anelka France 125 364 0.34
24 Jermain Defoe England 162 496 0.33
25 Dwight Yorke Trinidad and Tobago 123 375 0.33
26 Frank Lampard England 177 609 0.29
27 Steven Gerrard England 120 504 0.24
28 Peter Crouch England 108 468 0.23
29 Emile Heskey England 110 516 0.21
30 Paul Scholes England 107 499 0.21
31 Ryan Giggs Wales 109 632 0.17

I mean, in our current grassroots manager's group on Whatsapp, they're doing an all time XI and David Beckham is beating Cristiano Ronaldo and Figo for a spot, so the wisdom of crowds when it comes to football is a myth.

• Like 1

While I was looking into this too, I looked at Torres. His ratio was 0.64 at Liverpool (would have been 4th on this list) and dropped to 0.18 at Chelsea lol. 0.40 overall. Sligthly better than Darren Bent but worse than Drogba and Sandra Redknapp .

He was only 26 when he signed for Chelsea as well. Madness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TCO said:

While I was looking into this too, I looked at Torres. His ratio was 0.64 at Liverpool (would have been 4th on this list) and dropped to 0.18 at Chelsea lol. 0.40 overall. Sligthly better than Darren Bent but worse than Drogba and Sandra Redknapp .

He was only 26 when he signed for Chelsea as well. Madness.

His decline cause of injuries and confidence still makes me sad. Guy was one of the best finishers I've seen play for us

• Admin

An investigation has been launched after pictures of the Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish surfaced online following an incident in which a Range Rover crashed into parked cars. West Midlands police said they were called to the Dickens Heath area of Solihull on Sunday just before 10am where the two parked cars suffered minor damage. The force said the driver left his details with a member of the public before leaving on foot.

Images surfaced online on Sunday of a damaged white Range Rover as well as a picture that appeared to show the Aston Villa captain in slippers and a bright blue hoodie.

Less than 24 hours before the incident, the midfielder launched a video appeal for people to stay at home during the government-enforced lockdown. In the video, he said: “To help save lives you must stay at home. Only leave your house to buy food, buy medicine or to exercise and always remember to stay at least two metres apart. This is urgent, protect the NHS, stay home, save lives.”

In a statement about the incident, the West Midlands force said: “We were called to Waterside, Dickens Heath, just before 10am to reports that a Range Rover had crashed into two parked cars in the street. The driver left his details with a member of the public at the scene before leaving on foot, and will be spoken to by police in due course. Minor damage was caused to the parked vehicles.

“Officers are investigating the circumstances and anyone with information has been asked to get in touch, via Live Chat at west-midlands.police.uk quoting log 643 of 29 March.”

Aston Villa were unavailable for comment on Sunday.

I'm always shit at these because FM creates false memories of players playing for clubs they've never played for.

• Like 4