Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

I find Spurs' tactics somewhat baffling. I understand that Son/Moura/Lamela are all more inside forwards than they are wingers and that to get the most out of inside forwards in a 4-3-3, you want a striker to come deeper to fill the #10 pocket of space, draw the defenders out and let the wide players exploit the space in behind. Barcelona have done it for over a decade.

What I don't understand is playing to their strengths when you've got probably the best '9' in the world and you're making him receive the ball in the centre circle, completely negating his far more considerable strengths. Not to mention he's trying to do an attempt at the job of Eriksen, one of the best out and out 10's in the world, who's on the bench.

Is this like when Mourinho purposefully picked players out of position to prove a point to the board?

• Like 3

In the last 12 months of Premier League football, Lingard has only scored or assisted a goal in one of those months, Dec 2018.

In the last 6 years, Adam Johnson has more PL goals AND assists than Lingard, and he's been in prison for 3 of them.

Fucking hell.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

I think we know which one should be in the Euro 2020 squad then.

Gordan Strachan is somewhere starting a petition on Change.org 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

In the last 12 months of Premier League football, Lingard has only scored or assisted a goal in one of those months, Dec 2018.

In the last 6 years, Adam Johnson has more PL goals AND assists than Lingard, and he's been in prison for 3 of them.

Fucking hell.

I saw this stat the other day, it's just one of those daft things. For the first couple of those years Lingard was a young player going out on loan, realistically he's only had 4 hasn't he and presumably wasn't the ever present Johnson was at Sunderland? Add to that the fact that Man Utd have had a couple of seasons of being creatively awful, with several "senior" players utterly failing to set a decent example for the likes of Lingard. He might not be a superstar, but stats clearly don't tell the whole story and the Johnson thing is mischief for mischiefs sake.

True, but when you've got Sanchez doing bugger all for eleventy billion pounds a week and £50m or whatever of Martial finally starting to justify his fee pulling up nonsense wordy facts about a player actually trying feels mean.

I get what they're saying, I just hate stats that need a load of extra analysis that people aren't going to do. Apparently our result Sunday was the quickest we've got a win since 2012 or something and that was flying about, but Rafa won the third game of the season 2 seasons ago, it just fell two days later in August. Rubbish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

Fucking 

Lingard is painfully average.

Lingard gets a lot of love because he has scored important goals that have won us trophies or helped us beat a big rival. He's only starting because we apparently are run by incompetents who can't get transfer deals done. The plan very much was to start the season with Bruno Fernandes and the failure to get that done is why Lingard continues to start.

In the last few hours the agent of Liverpool youth player Bobby Duncan released a statement about the player being refused a move and alleged bullying on behalf of the club.

I mean, if the player is having some mental health problems that's fair but how is releasing a statement helping anyone? The agent just seems like a twat.