Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Ridiculous. Since when have deflections been regarded as own goals? TAA's been credited in my fantasy team as assisting that goal :lol:

If the ball's trajectory is heading off target prior to the deflection then it's an OG by rule. There's no way that was going in without the deflection, therefore it's an OG. The degree in which the deflection changes the course of the shot/cross is irrelevant, it's all about whether the initial effort was heading on target.

Still struggling to get over the worst refereeing performance I’ve ever seen in the top flight. Not one to rag on referees too much, but fucking hell Kevin Friend what are you doing? We were pretty crap, but still had a point robbed of us.

You remember how VAR was going to assist referees and hopefully stop their decisions being the main headlines and talking points over the weekend? I think Kevin Friends, blow the whistle and give something and take VAR off the table method might be how they keep themselves as the centre of attention.

I wish the FA would do some sort of referees round up where they explain how and why decisions are made. It won't stop controversy and people disagreeing but at least we could understand the rationale behind things. Why was Friend so certain of a dive that he disregarded refereeing protocol to make that decision? I think it'd be a lot easier for people to understand how these things are done if people explained why. Obviously they can't say "it's a United player at Old Trafford, got to help them out for that sweet, sweet Premier League money" but it'd help us understand better than "he's always been shit and stealing a living" or "we all know he's a bit of a cheat and a homer".

I know Sky do a ref watch type thing but most of the time it's a subjective situation with an ex referee guessing. You do get ones like the Man City disallowed winner against Spurs where we get a proper explanation of "well people felt it was unfair goals were being given after it hit an arm so we changed the rule to stop it happening" but most of the time we're left confused and frustrated.

• Like 1

I know my views on VAR are pretty well known by now (I like the idea of the tech but find the application fucking horrific), but it's getting worse and worse and we're only 4 weeks into the season. It isn't overuling horrifically obvious errors like that one (Kevin Friend should be sent to non league for a few months for that) but is happily doing the dubious "easy wins" of technically impossible marginal offsides that no one cared about in the first place. It's not even consistent, we got away with that shitty new handball rule on our equaliser yesterday.

Add to that the fact that in stadiums you don't have a clue whether somethings being reviewed or not it's a complete and utter mess that's done the opposite of what it was brought in to do.

9 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I’m so over Granit Xhaka. Given him the benefit of the doubt far too much.

Sell him already. 

Theres absolutely no reason to be making that tackle whatsoever.

Been a good game so far, we're down thanks to 2 gifts of goals so it's not flappy popper time yet. I'd be genuinely surprised if we don't get another goal.

3rd and 4th is anyone's guess this season. Feels like the gap between us and City compared to United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs has somehow gotten bigger. 

Then again it's only 4 games in and I could be chatting shit. <_<

7th sounds optimistic, I think there were 7 stone wall yellows at various times. Arsenal are shit, the longer Spurs stick with Poch's tactical ineptitude they'll be shit, United and Chelsea don't look to have much extra spark about them either. I think another side could creep into the top 4 after the early stages unless they massively switch things up.

The ineptitude made the game every bit as exciting as one would expect though. Good day of football on the tellybox.

Good game but cant help feel disappointed not to take all 3 points. Spurs were there for the taking, some better finishing and that could have been a rout. Pepe is really good, just hope he gets a goal soon and pushes on. Guendouzi was immense as well.

Just seen the highlights, I'm really surprised that Kane penalty at the end wasn't given, and the punditry on MOTD2 is weird too. Last week Kane deliberately moved away from the ball to fall over Lascelles, this week for me he's done exactly what any player should do and put himself between ball and man, at which point he's been fouled. If it's the other way round it's an obvious free kick.

I've little doubt that any other striker on the panel would have said the same, and had it been an Arsenal player Ian Wright certainly would have.

• Like 1

Someone needs to explain to me why they're happy to use VAR on the stupidly marginal offsides but are then just blowing the whistle on potential onsides in play. Bizarre decision to go against the rest of the VAR-using world.

• Like 1

VAR is just the victim of the Premier League Referee's Old Boys Club where they won't highlight each other's incompetencies.