Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

Just now, Colly said:

Did it cover the issues that pundits have been asking since that first week around the timing of the image in relation to when the ball leaves the players boot? I can almost believe they can manage to compare two players positions on a still image, but very much struggle to believe that it's accurate to manage that. Gary Lineker is still asking the same question and Gary Neville is only just stretching to "at least it's consistently inaccurate", fundamentally not understanding what's happening...

They were in a position to move frame by frame through the process. Thus, they could make a call as to when the ball had left the foot.

There is still human error as it isn't completely automated, but I don't get why I wouldn't necessarily believe it to be pretty accurate.

9 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Certainly not him. 

At first, Emery did bring that complete change of atmosphere, but the longer he’s been here the more I don’t understand what his plan is.

He sets us up a lot as a counter-attacking side, yet to do that you have to be organised all over the pitch and we’re not at all. We don’t look like a team pushing to be on the front foot all the time, we also don’t look like a team trying to play for possession so I really don’t know what we are. He changes the shape of the side too much and I think it’s getting to that point in which the players don’t really know what the plan is either. 

If anything, we’ve regressed since he took over. The defence is as bad as it ever was under Wenger which is quite some achievement especially since Emery was supposed to be more of a defensively tactical coach. 

We need to be looking elsewhere for next season, Allegri may be available. If we can get him in, then go for it. Other than that, I’m not sure who is realistic but that’s Raul’s job to sort out.

On another note, I’m a little worried about Pepe. Not overly panicking yet as I don’t expect all players to hit the ground running but he doesn’t look anywhere close to being a £72m footballer at the moment.

I would absolutely love Allegri.

Pepe is in a weird position. Hes clearly a talented player but the horrible way we play means hes getting no chance to produce anything, and yet hes still under pressure to succeed. The front 3 (4 if you count Ozil or Ceballos) should be absolutely terrifying to go up against but they just cant get anything to work.

I'd go all out for an Upamecano in January, and hope Tierney and Saliba can smooth things out at the back. The players should be better than this.

2 minutes ago, Kaney said:

I would absolutely love Allegri.

Pepe is in a weird position. Hes clearly a talented player but the horrible way we play means hes getting no chance to produce anything, and yet hes still under pressure to succeed. The front 3 (4 if you count Ozil or Ceballos) should be absolutely terrifying to go up against but they just cant get anything to work.

I'd go all out for an Upamecano in January, and hope Tierney and Saliba can smooth things out at the back. The players should be better than this.

Upamecano would be a very good shout.

I’m also puzzled by his sudden insistence on not starting Torriera. If anything, he has to be playing as our “midfield destroyer”, he excelled there for Uruguay but he seems to be using him as a box-to-box player and I’m certain that isn’t his strength. 

So what do we think the issue is with clubs that aren't Manchester Blue and Merseyside Red?

They're all super rich, they can all attract the worlds greatest players... Is it systemic problems? Arsenal haven't been credible for over 10 years now, but Chelsea and Man Utd are a relic of a by gone age, someone mentioned about United being able to take the best of the best because they could outspend everyone but the middle of the pack can afford to keep hold of high end players and not give in to the "big guys".

Also, if you look at the coaches of the top two teams, these are legit, go to any country in the world, take over a team and make them world class coaches, Pep is the best manager in football without a doubt, Klopp is probably second to him?

The fly by nights that Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have brought in haven't done it in real football leagues before, so why would they in "the most competitive" league in the world?

It took Pep a year to turn City into contender - and it took Man City half a decade to prepare for his arrival before that. Klopp's taken longer than that and hundreds of millions to ensure Liverpool are in the same place Brendan Rodgers had them, albeit in a more sustained and ultimately more successful fashion.

That combination of patience and lots and lots of money, hasn't been available at either Chelsea or Manchester United.

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

It took Pep a year to turn City into contender - and it took Man City half a decade to prepare for his arrival before that. Klopp's taken longer than that and hundreds of millions to ensure Liverpool are in the same place Brendan Rodgers had them, albeit in a more sustained and ultimately more successful fashion.

That combination of patience and lots and lots of money, hasn't been available at either Chelsea or Manchester United.

We spent money but we were constantly selling our best players and to put it down as just we spent money and got better is a massive understatement considering really we splashed out on Van Dijk and Alisson. Most of the players in the squad came in for what are relatively cheap fees these days 

Plus bollocks to the Man United not having money considering the fees you've spent on players.  Basically you've spent money on people who don't fit into a system and/or aren't good enough because United don't have an identity anymore or a style in terms of how they play. 

I think you've massively understated how much things have changed at Liverpool over the last decade in terms of the structure, behind the scenes etc. I wouldn't expect you to know that cause you're not a Liverpool fan.

• Like 1

I didn't say United didn't have money - clearly we do, we're one of the most profitable and value sports franchises on the planet - I'm saying the combination of that and having patience with your manager has helped, and patience is the one thing we haven't had with managers. Whilst you were putting in place a foundation to build upon to get better, we were sacking LVG for winning the FA Cup.

25 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

So what do we think the issue is with clubs that aren't Manchester Blue and Merseyside Red?

They're all super rich, they can all attract the worlds greatest players...

I wouldn't overstate this. These days the Spanish, Italian, German and, to an extent, French leagues are much more competitive than they were, say, a decade ago. There's a reason that transfer windows now are full of bids of £60m for far-from-proven prospects rather than the Premier League swooping for Europe's best like years of old.

Could Man Utd etc. afford to spend £100m on Europe's best players? Sure. Would said players jump at the opportunity when they could get the same in Serie A or La Liga? Quite often not.

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

I wouldn't overstate this. These days the Spanish, Italian, German and, to an extent, French leagues are much more competitive than they were, say, a decade ago. There's a reason that transfer windows now are full of bids of £60m for far-from-proven prospects rather than the Premier League swooping for Europe's best like years of old.

Could Man Utd etc. afford to spend £100m on Europe's best players? Sure. Would said players jump at the opportunity when they could get the same in Serie A or La Liga? Quite often not.

It's more a case, they have the ear of those players... If a player, was courted they wouldn't necessarily be laughed at - However there are now a lot more options for players outside of half a dozen clubs. You can be a centre piece player and not be playing for a dogshit team.

9 minutes ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

I didn't say United didn't have money - clearly we do, we're one of the most profitable and value sports franchises on the planet - I'm saying the combination of that and having patience with your manager has helped, and patience is the one thing we haven't had with managers. Whilst you were putting in place a foundation to build upon to get better, we were sacking LVG for winning the FA Cup.

Biggest/smartest thing United could do and should do is restructure the club behind the scenes and come up with some sort of strategy in terms of transfers.

Your policy is just incoherent. Maguire was a smart signing but I can't believe you didn't manage to get a striker in at the same time. 

I thought Ole would be your version of Dalglish returning. A figure from the clubs past who would come in temporarily and help restore some good feeling around the club and then you'd bring someone in and rebuild with an identity. 

• Like 1