Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

We may still get something out of this game, but Emery really has to go at the end of this season. 

His team selection gets more and more puzzling by the week. Why are we going to Old Trafford and taking three defensive midfielders and leaving Ozil at home? Take the game to them for fuck sake. 

I was surprised to see just the three attack minded players in the line up, but sides have come to OT and sat in of late and done well. And when you've got Auba there's always a chance going the other way. 

An equaliser is about as likely as a 2nd goal for us, I'd say. It's been tight, and plenty of challenges flying in. 

5 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I was surprised to see just the three attack minded players in the line up, but sides have come to OT and sat in of late and done well. And when you've got Auba there's always a chance going the other way. 

An equaliser is about as likely as a 2nd goal for us, I'd say. It's been tight, and plenty of challenges flying in. 

That’s all well and good, but we’re Arsenal...

If Emery sets us up not to concede, we always concede. When he sets us up to attack, it usually seems to work fairly well. 

How the fuck could the linesman possibly flag for offside there when the United defender runs past him after the ball has been played? So glad the referee didn't blow early and cost them a good goal there. Yeah Arsenal losing s always funny but at least let it be due to ineptitude rather than cheating officials.

I keep seeing that, and I reckon it’s a terrible take. It’s obviously easy to target Xhaka, but the shot was pretty powerful and it took a deflection. If anything, he was attempting to perhaps head it clear. 

I’m not convinced he ducked out of the way intentionally at all, and I’m on the Xhaka out bandwagon as much as anybody.

I still don't understand how a guy who exhibits no leadership skills on or off the pitch and is one of the worst midfield destroyers I've ever seen got made captain.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

I still don't understand how a guy who exhibits no leadership skills on or off the pitch and is one of the worst midfield destroyers I've ever seen got made captain.

In fairness to him, he seemingly is a leader off the pitch. However, he was still a terrible choice, especially given the circumstances of his performances of late. 

The next manager should give Holding, Bellerin and Guendouzi the armband to share and be done with it. 

On the subject of "midfield destroyers", we have a perfectly good one in Lucas Torriera but for some reason Emery is utilising him as some sort of Aaron Ramsey box-to-box and it doesn't fit his skills whatsoever. I feel as though the constant inclusion of Xhaka is causing this. Just play Torriera in the "Makelele" role and put a combinaton of Guendouzi / Willock / Ceballos ahead of him and our midfield would suddenly look much much better. But this manager seems to be terrified to play football on the front foot.

• Like 1

• Admin

The Premier League has appointed the Guardian’s David Pemsel as its new chief executive.

Confirmation of the appointment came at a Premier League meeting on Wednesday morning.

Bruce Buck, the chairman of Chelsea, who was tasked with recruiting an individual to administer the top tier of English football, said Pemsel had been hired because of his “straightforward style and personal integrity”.

“At the Guardian he has shown strong leadership through a period of change and transformation. Returning the group to profit is an impressive achievement and has demonstrated that he can develop and execute a transformational plan in an ever-changing business landscape,” Buck said.

Pemsel, 51, has been chief executive of Guardian Media Group, the owner of the Guardian and the Observer, since July 2015. Working with the editor-in-chief, Katharine Viner, he helped to increase the company’s digital revenues while cutting costs.

The company’s main Guardian News & Media subsidiary in 2018-19 recorded its first operating profit in many years, following a run of heavy losses, and now makes the majority of its money from online activities.

Pemsel will stay with the Guardian until taking up the Premier League job in early 2020. His appointment follows a lengthy search for a new Premier League chief executive following the departure of former boss Richard Scudamore at the end of 2018.

He will have to confront a changing media world where the ability of traditional pay-TV providers such as Sky and BT to dominate the multibillion-pound market for sports rights is being challenged by deep-pocketed newcomers such as Amazon.

He will also have to manage the delicate relationship between the top Premier League clubs and their smaller rivals and friction over how they share broadcasting revenue, amid renewed speculation about a potential breakaway competition.

Pemsel first joined Guardian News & Media in 2011. Before that he was group marketing director at ITV and helped launch Elisabeth Murdoch’s Shine Entertainment production company.

He said: “I have enjoyed my eight years at Guardian Media Group and want to thank everyone for their support and friendship, but now is the perfect time for me to take on the next challenge.”

Viner said she would miss working with Pemsel. “We were appointed to our roles within a month of each other in 2015 and we’ve worked closely together ever since on the organisation’s strategy and direction. It’s been stressful, demanding – and a lot of fun. Despite the many tough decisions we’ve had to take, David has always understood the integral place of Guardian and Observer journalism in our business,” she said.

Neil Berkett, the Guardian Media Group chairman, told staff he would be starting the process of replacing Pemsel immediately, while paying tribute to the outgoing chief executive.

“In partnership with Kath and all of you, he has restored GMG’s finances to a sustainable position and helped make us a much stronger, better business. He has also been an impressive leader, keeping the Guardian’s journalism and our values central to our decision-making at all times. The board and I have valued David’s advice immensely, and we wish him well,” he said.