Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

46 minutes ago, Colly said:

According to MOTD not a single penalty decision not given on the field has been given by VAR. That's astonishing. VAR could be perfect and it would never get past the ego of our refs.

Clearly the officials are the problem here. They simply are not using it correctly.

I've watched MOTD and VAR was just a total mess today. Deulofeu should have had a penalty in the Spurs game. I think Alli's goal is indeed a goal but the mix-up with the screen decision was ridiculous. Similarly, we had Wolves and Southampton lining up for a kick-off before VAR had bothered to rule out a goal for offside (correctly, mind). Then you have Burnley's equaliser at Leicester being ruled out despite it being innocuous at best, so a slight accidental toe tap can be overturned but not clear fouls in the box for penalties? Astoundingly stupid.

The other point on MOTD was that the refs are pretty much never going to the pitch-side screen to assess VAR decisions. They're just taking the VAR room decision at face value and implementing it. I know some of the refs at the Women's World Cup took too long to decide, but it's useless having that there to make sure referees are making the right decision and then just never using it, whether that's to save time or not.

Just a mess, and it's the same problem that has always plagued referees. They're human beings implementing it in a silly way and they all stick together as one to avoid any scrutiny or chance to improve the issues.

Oh, and just to comment on one of the actual decisions, Shearer said he felt that by the new handball rule, Dele Alli's goal should have been disallowed. In what universe? It hits him on the very top part of his arm, which if you actually try and move your arm around every way it can go, will always pretty much be there by virtue of it being your upper arm directly attached to your shoulder. The only way it might not is if Alli sticks his arm out sideways, which of course then would be a handball because his arm is out in an unnatural position.

So I'm glad that goal stood, because disallowing it would be tantamount to saying you have to cut your arm off to avoid being penalised.

• Like 1

No we do, Dyche was complaining the ref didn't use it after saying pre match he would.

Not sure how you can't see Alli's handball though, he controls it with his arm which under the current handball rule is a nailed on free kick. MOTD analysis ("who knows where an arm stops?") was terrible, it's literally your job to know.

That's not the point though, by the new handball rule an accidental handball means the goal is ruled out, there's no interpretation involved.

I do think the rule is overkill, and in the case of that Man City one early in the season, and whoever it was the week before that it seemed incredibly harsh. For this one though if it doesn't hit his arm he doesn't score, it might even have been ruled out by the old rule.

Yeh under the new rule they've done this season, it shouldn't have stood. 

This weekend shows that it's another week of controversy when it comes to VAR and referees. I am not arsed if VAR was to overrule a ref and I wouldn't think of it as undermining their decisions. It's a second opinion with the benefit of technology. It's not saying to the ref "you're shit how did you get that wrong" its there to help. 

I just don't understand the times when it is used when it isn't necessary or when it's not used for a decision that you would think VAR would be beneficial here 

Yeah, I'm all for VAR but it seems like they don't want to correct referees enough in the PL. Their "clear and obvious" error thing seems too much of an excuse when most people expect VAR to intervene and it ends up sticking by the ref, as if they're perfect.

Anyway, shitting it ahead of the game today. No matter the form of the sides going in, Utd v Liverpool is always big and it's always tough to call. No Pogba for us, no Salah for them. If our midfield can match the effort of theirs, we'll have a chance.

Remember how reluctant they were to have retrospective punishment, and then even more so for things where the ref "kind of" saw something but didn't give a red card prior to the Haidara rule? English refs have always been against challenging their apparent infallibility, and how VAR is being done here is just another example of that.

Three centre halfs at home is a pretty big statement of where Man Utd are these days.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

That's not the point though, by the new handball rule an accidental handball means the goal is ruled out, there's no interpretation involved.

I do think the rule is overkill, and in the case of that Man City one early in the season, and whoever it was the week before that it seemed incredibly harsh. For this one though if it doesn't hit his arm he doesn't score, it might even have been ruled out by the old rule.

What I'm saying though is that it doesn't class as hitting the arm, I'd class it as shoulder. I know that new rule about accidental handball is daft but in this instance I don't think it even applies.

Anyway, the goal stood and we move on. Next week I'm sure there'll be plenty more of this nonsense for us to dissect.

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

What I will say is, without VAR it's still a goal as the foul wasn't given...

Still, another case of the PL refusing to overturn a referee's decision.

In other news, water is wet :shifty:

Also, the pen Mane won against Leicester was a bit of a fucking farce too. Again, more refusal to change a decision. There's no point in using it for anything other than offsides unless you're actually going to use it.

1 minute ago, DavidMarrio said:

In other news, water is wet :shifty:

You seemed to be blaming VAR for the goal being scored. My point was that it went in without being called as a foul.

Absolutely cracking use of VAR that time. :shifty:

• Like 1