Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

9 minutes ago, TCO said:

He is offside, his shoulder is marginally offside.

Can't clamour for VAR for years and then get pissy when a fractional decision goes against you which is what everyone is seemingly doing now. You're either offside or your not, it's a binary decision and the distance doesn't matter.

I think this argument works better for goal-line technology than VAR.

VAR has a level of human subjectivity by the sheer fact that it is just an extra set of eyes looking at the match on some screens. The same subjectivity and interpretation of the rules that existed pre-VAR exists just with more people involved.

Honestly, I don't even think the image the EPL have provided clears things up either and maybe under a technical definition that is somehow offside but then I also wonder if the definition of offside is a bit silly or poorly worded. The graphic provided just doesn't make it look obviously offside.

Yeah, when it's that close, and when we're talking about someone's armpit for fucks sake, that should never be being ruled out as offside. 

I get people are gonna pedantic and all that, but much like the Son one earlier in the season, it's just ridiculous. 

It's not the same as the ball going over the line, especially because of the margin of error involving frames per second vs. players moving at speed. And that doesn't even take into account the human error. 

Surely no one's actually pleased to see that kind of goal (irrespective of team bias) ruled out as offside.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to if they're level, advantage goes to the attacker? It's all getting a bit silly now, we're talking about 'knee versus armpit', those two well known high usage areas of the body for scoring goals.

The fundamental difference between this and goal line tech (other than the complexity in terms of measuring time as well as the position of the ball and two funny shaped lads) is that VAR is still driven by human eyes. And you can't tell me that Mike fucking Dean understands how a tv picture relates to a 3D world as Andy Gray of all people has just shown. Stop the dotted line "higher" or "lower" and you can make whatever decision you like.

• Like 1

They're going to be in around the top 4 all season, the side looks great front to back. Admittedly there's also Jonny Evans, but they carried Danny Simpson to a Premier League title last time so who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colly said:

The fundamental difference between this and goal line tech (other than the complexity in terms of measuring time as well as the position of the ball and two funny shaped lads) is that VAR is still driven by human eyes. And you can't tell me that Mike fucking Dean understands how a tv picture relates to a 3D world as Andy Gray of all people has just shown. Stop the dotted line "higher" or "lower" and you can make whatever decision you like.

Ironically Mike Dean is one of the few VAR officials who has been praised for his performance.

• Haha 1

Harry Arter has deleted his twitter account after clearly showing he doesn't know the difference between Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson.

If you aren't aware, this is all part of the "mediocre English footballers are all Tories" revelations.

For obvious reasons they've not shown the collision but Sons probably worth a yellow and it's just a little trip then there's the collision they can't show when he goes into Aurier, it looks like just an accident from what we can see but it's surely not Sonnys challenge that did it? Think VAR was a joke in this one as someone who does support the idea, think it had 4 decisions to make and got them all wrong.