Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

26 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

That and the swarm of Everton players surrounding him forcing his hand.

Apparently Son is absolutely distraught, and if there's one footballer who doesn't deserve to feel like that it's him.

Let's not blame the Everton players, considering what they were witnessing with a friend and team mate severely injured.

It is a horrific injury. I don't think it's a red card, and I think Martin Atkinson is ridiculous for changing his mind seemingly due to the severity of the injury, which you just can't do. Atkinson is in his 50s now and I think getting rid of that maximum age limit for refs was a big mistake. He has been poor for a good while.

Seeing how the players and fans reacted in that moment to Gomes' injury is hard to watch. Son being so distraught as well.

Horrible injury but no malice in that whatsoever for me. Just really unlucky, hopefully Gomes can recover sooner rather than later

Martin Atkinson is a shite ref. He was defo wearing a 1997/1998 Steve Bould Arsenal away top underneath his ref shirt when he decided to send Son off. 

9 hours ago, Colly said:

I'm going to beat this thing into the ground...

Chris Kamara with his piece of paper was the best

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Any word on Aurier getting the red in his place? 

I hope not. Despite Aurier being a bit of a dirty/clumsy bastard, I don't think he was trying to hurt Gomes, and it was Son's challenge that led to it anyway. 

Not seen any suggestion of that anywhere?

Yeah this thread mentioned mistaken identity as the reason Son got the red which clearly wasn't the case. Card rightly rescinded and no reason why Aurier would take one.

It's odd actually how there's been this huge amount of attention on Son when Aurier was also shown visibly shaken by the incident. Horrible luck for Gomes but not Aurier's fault by any means.

Yeah, I just meant that it was Aurier colliding with Gomes which caused the break, not Son's challenge so him getting the red made more sense, but I'm glad he hasn't been suspended over it.

Atkinson said the red was given to Son for endangering the safety of an opponent, which is fair given what happened, but he literally had a yellow card in his hand first of all.

Yeah at the time it initially looked like Sons challenge brought him down and then Aurier coming in is what caused the injury which is where the mistaken identity thing came in. We later saw it was the planted foot rather than the collision that seems to have been the primary cause. It was a freak accident.

It wasn't just that Atkinson had a yellow card, he gave him a yellow card then came back later to give him a red. As for endangering the safety of an opponent, that's every single challenge that happens now based on what's happened. I think it says a lot that even Everton players are asking why the red card as he showed it to Son.

• Like 1

It's a weird one. 

Because it was never a red card, just a freak accident. 

But I can see how, in the moment, he gave a red because of all the emotion surrounding the incident. It would've also been an incredibly hard one for the crowd (who were already furious with the officials) to wrap their head around without seeing the tackle again and the atmosphere could've got quite nasty, I imagine. 

Not that that's a justifiable reason for giving a red, but hey. 

It was just such a weird game to watch - I really felt disconnected after the incident & not that fussed about the result. It just didn't seem important in comparison to how distressed players from both teams were.

Ultimately, that incorrect red card cost us a win we really needed and it still doesn't seem that important. I just hope Gomes recovers without any complications & Sonny recovers mentally. 

I felt like he only gave the red because of the extent of the injury more than the actual foul. 

Son was going for a cynical tackle but he wasn't trying to endanger or hurt Gomes. I thought a yellow card was the right decision at the time and I still do. 

It's a freak injury and it's a gruesome injury but never a red card for the foul. It sets a potential precedent if cards are being given based on the injury. 

Thankfully I think that common sense has prevailed on all sides with this one. Gomes is apparently going to make a full recovery after successful surgery - he's home from hospital now - and Son has had the red card rescinded.

I went back and watched David Buust's injury for Coventry after reading his thoughts on this incident and my god, I don't know if anything will top that one for how gruesome it is. His leg just seemed to snap completely the wrong way, and it was a bit similar to Gomes in that it was caused by two players going in to him at around the same time.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I went back and watched David Buust's injury

Why would you do this.

Horrible injury. The only other ones that come close are Larsen when he snapped his leg and Luc Nillis when his leg resembled and umbrella. Ugh, makes me feel ill just thinking of it.

Just because I remembered it being similar, and it was before I was old enough to be into football.

Luc Nilis on the other hand, I still remember it being on the back page of the paper the following day. Hard to even comprehend, how bad that one was.