Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

1 hour ago, Colly said:

That's the bit that I find quite interesting, as I believe in the fairly common case of a ref wrongly awarding a corner and a goal being scored directly from it VAR wouldn't rule it out? Far more important to ruin the offside rule...

Happened yesterday, Burnley's opening goal came from a corner that Ashley Barnes touched last, it wasn't even borderline, no one was within three yards of him.

Liverpool’s VAR complaints after the Manchester United game seem a lifetime ago. Thing is, VAR is currently broken as fuck, but everyone is getting screwed. 

We’ve had perfectly good goals ruled out, and we’ve had our opponents have perfectly good goals ruled out. Think people really lack perspective. No referee is actually biased, and anyone who mouths off saying that the refs are secretly on the take or whatever is a tool.

VAR is broken as fuck, but everyone seems to be getting screwed over equally. Not much of a consolation, but it is what it is.

It shouldn’t be how it is. But accepting that is better than accusing a referee of wearing the opposition’s shirt one week, and cheering the (broken) system the next. 

Swings and roundabouts ain’t it (and I am well aware that someone will make the obvious roundabout joke).

35 minutes ago, Colly said:

If what you're saying is that bad VAR decisions even themselves out over the course of a season then we're in a very odd spot.

Basically back to where we was without VAR. 

13 hours ago, Cymbols said:

It shouldn’t be how it is. But accepting that is better than accusing a referee of wearing the opposition’s shirt one week, and cheering the (broken) system the next. 

Swings and roundabouts ain’t it (and I am well aware that someone will make the obvious roundabout joke).

Ooooo going for the little suttle digs there I see 😂 Funny that

VAR is shite and the standard of reffing in the league has been poor for a long time. (Although they are clearly biased and wearing other teams kits JOKE) 

Its pot luck what VAR is and isn't going to give and there appears to be no accountability. If I made a mistake at work and someone fixed it I wouldn't be bothered. It happens people are human. When theres something clearly there to help and it's not being used correctly (whether that be by the ref or the people at the VAR room) then there's an issue.

Southampton had a goal disallowed by VAR cause a player had his fingers offside and Firmino had one cause of his armpit. Which especially after the Prem coming out and saying he was offside cause it was to do with being able to score with his armpit makes that Southampton decision all the more funny and shocking. 

Also, when people say VAR benefits Liverpool (not necessarily on here but still) means I might make jokes about LIVARPOOL. 

No digs here mate. Just so happens that Liverpool fans have been the whiniest that I’ve seen here and elsewhere (despite being top of the league) - so it makes for a good example.

Good Tweet I saw before the rugby World Cup final made the point that no matter how many mistakes the referee makes, players on both teams will make more. Everyone on that pitch is only human. 

2 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

No digs here mate. Just so happens that Liverpool fans have been the whiniest that I’ve seen here and elsewhere (despite being top of the league) - so it makes for a good example.

Good Tweet I saw before the rugby World Cup final made the point that no matter how many mistakes the referee makes, players on both teams will make more. Everyone on that pitch is only human. 

That's the thing that winds me up. The technology is there and it's just not being used either to the best of its ability or correctly. 

You are right everyone on the field makes mistakes too. It just feels like every week there is multiple incidents surrounding VAR. I don't know whether maybe someone explaining why decisions have been made at the time on a broadcast is better than Neville and Carragher guessing and dissecting it 50 times. 

When you go the game, they definitely need to improve the experience as a match goer. Screens don't show anything other than check and no goal/goal. No one knows what is happening. 

70% of St James Park can't see the screen, including anyone playing on the East side of the pitch. The two minute pause after Yedlin's goal was ridiculous. The league should make it so that every electronic advertising hoarding in PL grounds (surprise surprise I can see those) shows VAR messages while checks are done.

• Admin

Premier League clubs have chosen to avoid drastic action over VAR, with only the smallest of tweaks in the communication of decisions expected before the season’s end.

The referee’s chief, Mike Riley, gave club executives an extensive briefing on the technology during a Premier League meeting in London on Thursday. A lengthy discussion followed, but the consensus among clubs remains in favour of video refereeing and the outcome of the meeting was more of the same.

The Premier League said in a statement: “The implementation of VAR was discussed at length and the Premier League and the Professional Game Match Officials Board committed to improving the consistency of decisions, speeding up processes and increasing communication to fans.”

The reaction to VAR among match-going fans has been strongly negative and the one change that is to be implemented from December will see extra captioning on graphics shown inside grounds while checks are in progress. Graphics that now read“checking penalty”, will be expanded to say, for example, “checking penalty – possible handball”.

In association with fans’ groups, research will be undertaken at the end of the season to gauge the extent of VAR’s popularity. Any more substantial changes, such as broadcasting communications between the referee and his video assistant, could not be implemented before next season as they would require change in the VAR protocols, a set of laws under the control of the International Football Associations Board.

The mood among clubs remains calm, with most still believing the technology is a good thing. Riley showed clubs data that showed refereeing accuracy in “key match incidents” has gone up from 82% last season to 91% this.

Speaking after the meeting, the West Ham co-chairman David Gold said: “VAR is alive and kicking. This is a brand new system and we are making good progress. We just have to be a bit more patient. We will get it right.”