Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

I think this may work out well in the short term for Spurs. If theres a guy who can turn a team into horrible bastards who'll get results its him. 

I'd probably say expectations aren't as high for him managing Spurs then when he was at United (no offence) which may be a blessing. 

Problem is you've got two clear sides of Mourinho with no middle ground. The guy who'll get players to run through walls for him or the guy who'll alienate everyone and start sulking and be a miserable bastard. 

Be interesting to see the dynamic with Levy as well considering Spurs needs strengthening in certain areas. 

Mourinho will probably win a trophy for them. Is that what they're after? I don't see his tactics winning them the league, but a cup, sure. Maybe even the CL. 

They undoubtedly have a very good coach in Mourinho but he's been criticised for outdated tactics and boring football so I'm interested to see how it pans out. 

8 hours ago, Oakesy said:

Quite sad that in his first tough spell as manager, he gets the sack. I think he was a genuinely class manager and will go on to a big job at some point in the next year.

I will say this; it wasn't a "tough spell." It was basically February to now, outside of the Champions League knockout stage and a couple matches against Red Star Belgrade. I think the main person to blame is Levy and I hate that Pochettino is gone, but at least some of it has to fall on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Mourinho will probably win a trophy for them. Is that what they're after? I don't see his tactics winning them the league, but a cup, sure. Maybe even the CL. 

They undoubtedly have a very good coach in Mourinho but he's been criticised for outdated tactics and boring football so I'm interested to see how it pans out. 

Thing is, that Chelsea team when he first came to England played some good football and steamroller through people. Problem is, he got to a point of just wanting to win. Which while it can get results can be very boring. 

Maybe a team with slightly less expectations then the 2nd and 3rd runs at Chelsea, United and Madrid could do him good?

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I will say this; it wasn't a "tough spell." It was basically February to now, outside of the Champions League knockout stage and a couple matches against Red Star Belgrade. I think the main person to blame is Levy and I hate that Pochettino is gone, but at least some of it has to fall on him.

I see a lot of rage at Levy and stuff but... Overall it was Poch who was screwing things up. I can't believe anyone watching a game hasn't spotted issues and seen something needs changing approximately 10 minutes before it cost Spurs the game. I'm a big fan of Trips and miss him at the club... but Aurier was playing a lot last year in a rotation with Trips anyway so ultimately there have been no losses in personnel on the field and with some misfortune with new players being injured should not be suddenly worse than teams like Newcastle, Bournemouth, Burnley and so on. I like Poch, but the Champions League papered over some big problems (and dodgy handball aside, the final showed where the problems were as well, the team not playing like they were 1-0 down until late in the second half, dropping players in great form and so on) and this year they seem to have been magnified, Champions League qualification with this set up should be a minimum and it looks like that's already gone, how much longer could the club leave it? I liked Poch but found myself getting more frustrated with how things are at the club and his management.

On the other hand, I've always been a big fan of Jose, I love the free flowing attacking style and his man management is second to none. He's wonderful at moulding young players into superstars and achieves a lot of success by being thrifty with finances and not spending huge amounts of money. His post match press conferences are also full of cool headedness and a lot of wisdom and astute, honest observations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

On the other hand, I've always been a big fan of Jose, I love the free flowing attacking style and his man management is second to none. He's wonderful at moulding young players into superstars and achieves a lot of success by being thrifty with finances and not spending huge amounts of money. His post match press conferences are also full of cool headedness and a lot of wisdom and astute, honest observations.

Is this some other Jose Mourinho I'm not aware of?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

I see a lot of rage at Levy and stuff but... Overall it was Poch who was screwing things up. I can't believe anyone watching a game hasn't spotted issues and seen something needs changing approximately 10 minutes before it cost Spurs the game. I'm a big fan of Trips and miss him at the club... but Aurier was playing a lot last year in a rotation with Trips anyway so ultimately there have been no losses in personnel on the field and with some misfortune with new players being injured should not be suddenly worse than teams like Newcastle, Bournemouth, Burnley and so on. I like Poch, but the Champions League papered over some big problems (and dodgy handball aside, the final showed where the problems were as well, the team not playing like they were 1-0 down until late in the second half, dropping players in great form and so on) and this year they seem to have been magnified, Champions League qualification with this set up should be a minimum and it looks like that's already gone, how much longer could the club leave it? I liked Poch but found myself getting more frustrated with how things are at the club and his management.

Our recruitment policy failed Poch. 

He got the CL final when we hadn't made a single signing. 

The squad needed gradual regeneration and we were left in a position this summer where it needed and overhaul and we didn't get it. 

Trippier needed to go. He was a massive weak link last year and totally restricted our play and cost us games. It was clear Aurier wasn't his replacement, and it was clear he didn't trust KWP, so our failure to bring in a right back just magnifies that. 

Poch has been infuriating in the last 6 months for sure - his reluctance to drop Eriksen, changes coming too late in games, constant rotation etc. But he's very much been working miracles for years and it finally caught up with him. 

Levy did a wonderful job keeping our best players and getting them to sign contracts in a team where everyone was desperate to dismantle our team. I'm not all for laying the blame at his feet. But Poch saw us through playing away from home for 2 years, a near year long delay on a new stadium, didn't have a net spend until this year...and along the way we just didn't regenerate the squad. We're stale, you can see it. And then he's been extra unlucky that Lo Celso got injured. 

I'll get behind Mourinho soon and try and be optimistic. He might be what we need? But I hate how this has all played out and I hate our lack of loyalty towards Poch, which goes further back to this summer when we ultimately didn't deliver what he needed to do his job properly. 

• Like 3

I'm still stunned by this. I never saw a brutal overnight replacement of Pochettino happening, and I most certainly didn't expect it to be Jose Mourinho who came in the door.

For me, Mourinho lost the plot at Man Utd and is a manager on the downturn in modern football. If he doesn't get it all his own way he is prone to meltdown and Levy is notoriously strong-headed, as we have seen. The first question is: will Jose get cash to overhaul this team in a way Poch didn't? The second question is: if he does, why does Levy give him that and not Poch?

I think this is going to be a bumpy ride.

• Sad 1