Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

I just don't see how any of this works out well. Mourinho needs money to get who he wants. He either gets it and you get a lot of fan backlash because Levy finally breaks out the check book for Mou but wouldn't do it for Poch, the man who made Spurs a serial Top Four side and Champions League finalist; or, Mourinho doesn't get his money and it all goes tits up real quick.

I also don't think that Jose Mourinho coming in does anything to change the futures of your Belgian CBs or Eriksen. They're still losing their two best center backs and best playmaker at the end of the season. I can't see Jose being the type of manager to get Dele Alli back in form or get the best out of Son. It's a squad with issues right now, and issues that are just going to get worse.

I'm also really curious about what football players think of Mourinho now. Everyone knows he's a "serial winner" but how many footballers have the opinion that he's not a very good man manager anymore and has seemingly lost his "it* factor. I don't know the minds of rich, spoiled, elite athletes though, so this may not even be a thought for them, only money and location. 

Poch definitely has made a lot of errors in 2019, but some of those I truly feel were a man just trying to do something new to make it work because he was left with a squad in dire need of rejuvenation. 

Levy being so tight with money is a big reason why this current Spurs team has run itself into the ground - it happened with Klopp's Dortmund and won't happy with Klopp's Liverpool, because good dealings in the transfer market that generate lots of funds for players - not meme-y Levy's played a blinder stuff, but actual real money generation plus proper investment mean Klopp's been able to build a large squad that can play the football he wants for 50 games a seasons.

Spurs don't have that - and if Levy gets the chequebook out for Jose that's a real slap in the face to Poch tbh.

• Like 1

I can't wait for January when Mourinho (probably) doesn't actually get anyone he wants. Full credit to him if he manages to turn the team around with limited funds but I don't see him lasting past his initial contract. And speaking of his contract I would be interested to know how much he's on himself. I really feel bad for Poch, he's done a lot with very little, if (when) Ole goes I'd love to see him at Manchester United.

48 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

I can't wait for January when Mourinho (probably) doesn't actually get anyone he wants. Full credit to him if he manages to turn the team around with limited funds but I don't see him lasting past his initial contract. And speaking of his contract I would be interested to know how much he's on himself. I really feel bad for Poch, he's done a lot with very little, if (when) Ole goes I'd love to see him at Manchester United.

Apparently he's on £15 million a year, which is double what Poch was on.

35 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I heard that Mourinho is on more of a weekly wage than any of the Spurs squad. 

That must be a first.

Wasn't Alex Ferguson always the highest or equally highest paid at Man United? I think he said in his book about casually demanding a payrise after Rooney put in a transfer request and got a new deal.

1 minute ago, TCO said:

Wasn't Alex Ferguson always the highest or equally highest paid at Man United? I think he said in his book about casually demanding a payrise after Rooney put in a transfer request and got a new deal.

Basically, yeah. From at least the point of Rooney's then massive contract.

10 hours ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

Apparently he's on £15 million a year, which is double what Poch was on.

That's ridiculous. That plus the payout for Poch could've brought in another 1-2 players are been used to field bigger contract offers to the likes of Eriksen & co. With Levy usually being so tight with money this seems like an extraordinarily stupid deal all round.

20 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

That's ridiculous. That plus the payout for Poch could've brought in another 1-2 players are been used to field bigger contract offers to the likes of Eriksen & co. With Levy usually being so tight with money this seems like an extraordinarily stupid deal all round.

It's what you've got to pay for the 'top' managers - despite Jose's failings, he's still considered in that tier - Pep is on £20 million a year, and likely if Klopp chooses to extend his £7.5 million a year deal past 2022 (and not take a break like he has said he wants to do), he'll be in for a big jump, possibly even to what Jose is on.

Win the Premier League this season and I'm not sure you could deny Klopp that figure either, tbh.

6 minutes ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

It's what you've got to pay for the 'top' managers - despite Jose's failings, he's still considered in that tier - Pep is on £20 million a year, and likely if Klopp chooses to extend his £7.5 million a year deal past 2022 (and not take a break like he has said he wants to do), he'll be in for a big jump, possibly even to what Jose is on.

Win the Premier League this season and I'm not sure you could deny Klopp that figure either, tbh.

100% agree with what you're saying, I just don't think Jose is that 'top' manager anymore. I don't think he's going to bring Tottenham long term success. They might have a nice honeymoon period under him but he is a manager who has 'lost the players' a couple of times now.

I don't know, I wish Tottenham the best under him as they have been there or thereabouts for far too long and it would be nice to see them finally win something.

Being a United fan I may just be a little jaded with Jose after his spell at Old Trafford though.

EDIT: Oh and if Klopp wins the title he is arguably the second best manager in the world after Pep (especially if he backs it up next season).

Edited by RazorsEdge