Sign in to follow this  
Lineker

Premier League 2019/20

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Watch the show I guess.

Saw the clip of Shearer on Keane. I don't like the fact that two of my idols growing up don't like each other. :(

Roy Keane doesn't like anybody does he? He probably even hates himself.

Roy Keane once spilled his own pint.

Off the top of my head. I'd say Martin O'Neill, Paul Scholes, Dwight Yorke, Seamus Coleman and Jonny Evans are the people he's worked with and praised publicly. 

It's a short list! 

He's a strange man but was a phenomenal leader and player. Would definitely have him ahead of John Terry as a captain

• Like 1

I say this in absolute seriousness, I think James Milner is my favourite football footballman of all time.

The extra football was a typo but I like it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

football footballman

FM regen names aren't even trying any more 

Legendary German midfielder Bernt Dick says otherwise.

Honestly what did we do to deserve James Milner? He's an absolute treasure.

• Like 1

Is a team of eleven James Milner's the ultimate football team?

• Like 1

Sky Sports are reporting that Odion Ighalo has been offered a deal worth 400k a week to stay at Shanghai Shenhua.

What happened to that wage cap?

Attempts to resume the Premier League and English Football League seasons after 30 April could be thwarted by players refusing to ­compete because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Premier League, English Football League and ­Professional Footballers’ Association ­ officials held a conference call on Friday to discuss a unilateral response to the threat posed to clubs and players by the crisis, along with the prospect of resuming their seasons “when it is safe and conditions allow”. But even the possibility of playing matches behind closed doors after 30 April appears remote with players concerned about putting their health, and their families’ health, at risk by returning to work while the crisis continues.

Players’ representatives are also understood to be exploring whether insurance policies could be declared null and void should their clients contract a potentially career-­threatening illness after playing again while being aware of the risks involved.

The professional leagues and clubs continue to follow government advice regarding the pandemic and playing behind closed doors is one of several contingency measures being discussed. The resumption of the league seasons, future transfer ­windows, player contracts that are due to expire on 30 June and wage deferrals or reductions were the main topics of Friday’s conference call.

No decisions were taken by the three parties – the next Premier League stakeholders’ meeting is scheduled for next Friday, 3 April – but there is recognition that a broad consensus is required to ­prevent several lower league clubs going bankrupt.

A joint statement released on Friday read: “The Premier League, EFL and PFA met today and discussed the growing seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic. It was stressed that the thoughts of all three organisations continue to be with everyone affected by the virus.

“The Premier League, EFL and PFA agreed that difficult decisions will have to be taken in order to mitigate the economic impact of the current suspension of professional football in England and agreed to work together to arrive at shared solutions. The leagues will not recommence until 30 April at the earliest. They will only do so when it is safe and conditions allow. Further meetings will take place next week with a view to formulating a joint plan to deal with the difficult ­circumstances facing the leagues, their clubs, players, staff and fans.”

Leeds, who are top of the Championship, agreed a wage deferral on Thursday when their manager, ­Marcelo Bielsa, players, coaching staff and club executives reached a deal that will protect the incomes of 272 other employees at Elland Road. Blackburn are in negotiations to follow suit. Wage deferrals must be agreed individually by clubs, rather than being imposed centrally by the EFL.

The Premier League is not facing the same financial pressure as EFL clubs but, while not at the same stage of considering wage deferrals, some members of the lucrative top flight believe they will have to come into play should the season remain suspended for ­several more months.

Fifpro, the world players’ union, has expressed concern that clubs “in more than half a dozen countries” have terminated players’ contracts or reduced salaries since the pandemic began. “At a time of such a significant social crisis, solutions must be found with everybody’s contribution,” the union said in a statement on Friday. “Most football players outside the world’s biggest leagues are earning at the same level or below average domestic income and would be severely affected by salary decreases.”

Manchester United, meanwhile, have reiterated their commitment to completing the current Premier League season but have informed season ticket holders they can expect a pro-rata rebate or refund if matches are played behind closed doors or cancelled. The club “fully supports the collective intent to complete the Premier League, FA Cup and the Uefa club competitions”, it stated on Friday, following reports that a growing number of Premier League clubs want to end the campaign with immediate effect.

de28.jpg

Again - from this week's MOTD podcast-style replacement show. Lineker/Wright/Shearer put this together.

Surprised to see Carlton Cole in there but fair play. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surely Andy Cole should be miles higher on a "Premier League goalscorers" list, a title they presumably picked so they could include Ronaldo?

You could argue well the likes of Owen, Fowler, Sheringham, Les Ferdinand and Defoe could be on there for the amount of goals they've scored before some of the others

Just had a quick look at the actual all time top scorers list and Cole is still at 3, so I'm still confused as to 10th, but also Frank Lampard is 5th with only 3 goals less than Aguero. Was he discussed at all? I should watch this really.

2 minutes ago, Colly said:

Just had a quick look at the actual all time top scorers list and Cole is still at 3, so I'm still confused as to 10th, but also Frank Lampard is 5th with only 3 goals less than Aguero. Was he discussed at all? I should watch this really.

Frank Lampard had over 600 PL appearances.

Sergio Aguero hasn't yet hit 300.

I'm going to assume they were primarily looking at guys who had a high strike rate more than just goals scored.

Just a personal thing but Henry should be number two, quite possibly the most talented striker I’ve seen. 

Ronaldo had that 30+ goal season at the end of the naughts, right? Presume that’s why he was included. Question is why isn’t Van Persie there? 

Why didn't they just call it strikers? If they did, they could always say they took other factors into account. Why call it top goalscorers if that's something you can actually measure? One can argue that the top goal scorers are the ones who... score... the most... goals. If that's the case how can Andy Cole be so low?

I do understand they may consider number of goals scored in a single season for those with fewer EPL seasons but still...

9 minutes ago, Liam said:

Frank Lampard had over 600 PL appearances.

Sergio Aguero hasn't yet hit 300.

I'm going to assume they were primarily looking at guys who had a high strike rate more than just goals scored.

What about Andy Cole being lower than Drogba in the list, then? Better total and better average and yet is 10th while Drogba is 6th?

5 minutes ago, Malenko said:

What about Andy Cole being lower than Drogba in the list, then? Better total and better average and yet is 10th while Drogba is 6th?

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that there won't be some weird placements and they won't stick rigidly to it, but I'll assume they're up around similar-ish strike rates by that point? From that point, you can start to make an argument around personal preferences, who played for who, the success of the team around them, etc etc.

The article they put up where we could submit our own lists did focus on goal ratio a fair bit too.

I had Cole higher, they said they weren't even going to have him in the debate but Ian Wright forfeited his own place because he felt Cole deserved to be in there.

I had Shearer, Henry and Aguero top three. I wouldn't have even had Suarez on the list, above Fernando Torres? Or a clutch of others.

Here's the goals per game ration ranked or everyone who scored more than 100 goals. Gives a good balance of productivity and longevity. RVN, Ronaldo and Suarez all scored less than 100 so I've added them to the list too. Looking at it, I don't think Ronaldo should be in the top 10 personally.

Rank Player Nationality Goals Games Ratio
1 Sergio Agüero Argentina 180 261 0.69
2 Thierry Henry France 175 258 0.68
3 Harry Kane England 136 201 0.68
4 Ruud Van Nistelrooy Netherlands 95 150 0.63
5 Luis Suarez Uruguay 69 110 0.63
6 Alan Shearer England 260 441 0.59
7 Ian Wright England 113 213 0.53
8 Robin van Persie Netherlands 144 280 0.51
9 Michael Owen England 150 326 0.46
10 Andy Cole England 187 414 0.45
11 Romelu Lukaku Belgium 113 252 0.45
12 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink Netherlands 127 288 0.44
13 Robbie Fowler England 163 379 0.43
14 Cristiano Ronaldo Portugal 84 196 0.43
15 Wayne Rooney England 208 494 0.42
16 Les Ferdinand England 149 351 0.42
17 Didier Drogba Ivory Coast 104 254 0.41
18 Darren Bent England 106 276 0.38
19 Matt Le Tissier England 100 270 0.37
20 Robbie Keane Republic of Ireland 126 349 0.36
21 Dion Dublin England 111 312 0.36
22 Teddy Sheringham England 146 418 0.35
23 Nicolas Anelka France 125 364 0.34
24 Jermain Defoe England 162 496 0.33
25 Dwight Yorke Trinidad and Tobago 123 375 0.33
26 Frank Lampard England 177 609 0.29
27 Steven Gerrard England 120 504 0.24
28 Peter Crouch England 108 468 0.23
29 Emile Heskey England 110 516 0.21
30 Paul Scholes England 107 499 0.21
31 Ryan Giggs Wales 109 632 0.17

RVP looks to be an especially unwarranted exclusion.

I mean, in our current grassroots manager's group on Whatsapp, they're doing an all time XI and David Beckham is beating Cristiano Ronaldo and Figo for a spot, so the wisdom of crowds when it comes to football is a myth.

• Like 1