Carabao Cup 2019/20

DavidMarrio

I'm really excited for today's match, purely to see Brewster in a competitive Liverpool match. He's rated so highly, but even more important to me, he's had to overcome a lot in the way of injuries and racism. Delighted for him. Also looking to see Naby get a run out, and some of the other fringe guys. I would love to see the reserves get a deep run in the competition. 

• Admin

Liverpool are attempting to iron out an administrative problem after the English Football League launched an investigation into the club fielding an ineligible player in their Carabao Cup win over MK Dons.

It is understood the matter relates to the international transfer certificate of Pedro Chirivella, who spent the second half of last season on loan at the Spanish club Extremadura, after he came off the bench in the 63rd minute of the 2-0 third-round victory.

Chirivella, 22, required new clearance when he returned to his parent club in the summer and Liverpool requested that in July, but the process can only be completed with the Football Association’s intervention.

The club feel they have enough mitigating factors to ensure they escape the most serious sanction of expulsion from the competition. “The club are aware of a potential administrative issue pertaining to one of our players,” read a Liverpool statement. “We are working with the relevant authorities in order to establish the facts of the matter and will be making no further comment until this process is complete.”

The last club to breach similar rules were Sunderland in 2014 when they were fined by the Premier League after being found guilty of fielding the ineligible player Ji Dong-won in four matches, but it was determined the mistake was with the authorities.

EFL rules give it “full powers” to investigate, which could mean anything from a reprimand to expulsion, but inquiries are at such an early stage it is impossible to speculate on what the punishment may be. “We are currently considering the matter,” said an EFL spokesman.

• 1 month later...

I know no one cares about this cup but Martinelli is such a fucking player. 7 goals in 4 starts, who'd have thought he'd be our most exciting signing this year?

• Like 1