Sky Bet EFL 2019/20

Adam

There's a very easy and very crap joke there. I'll show restraint for once.

In seriousness, this saddens me, and I have no connection with the club at all. I do think that we're heading closer and closer towards a Football League club ceasing to exist in the near future. If the FA were ever to adopt a system in which Premier League "B" teams could play in the lower divisions, you could probably say goodbye to several clubs quite quickly.

• Admin

A Twitter user who claimed to be an anonymous Championship footballer intending to come out as gay has appeared to reverse his decision after admitting he is “not strong enough to do this”.

Having previously declared his intention to hold a press conference on Wednesday where he would reveal his identity after a series of tweets that had detailed his experiences, the user @FootballerGay posted two messages on Tuesday evening before deleting the account which had amassed more than 50,000 followers.

“I thought I was stronger. I was wrong,” read the first, quickly followed by a more detailed explanation before the account was deleted.

“Call me all the names under the sun, belittle me and ridicule me, a lot will, and I can’t change that, but I’m not strong enough to do this. Just remember that I’ve got feelings, without coming out I can’t convince anybody otherwise, but this isn’t a hoax. I wouldn’t do that.”

Former England striker Gary Lineker and Burton Albion forward Marvin Sordell were among those to express publicly their support for the player, who is believed to be under the age of 23 and currently playing at a Championship club. Justin Fashanu remains the only British male player to have publicly come out while playing in the Football League, in 1990.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/notts-county-to-ask-juventus-for-a-favour-116-years-in-the-making-en-26478085?variable=20190725

Notts County to ask Juventus for a favour 116 years in the making

Notts are in dire financial straits at the moment with club employees not having been paid since the end of the season.

New owners are expected to be announced soon, but in the meantime, Lilian Greenwood MP is set to write to Juventus on the club’s behalf, and ask for help paying for the new jerseys.

The Member of Parliament for Nottingham South will write to Juve this week and ask to repay a favour that first began in 1903.

At that time, Juve abandoned their previous pink kit and asked their English player, Tom Savage, if he had any friends back home who could help with getting new shirts.

He did, at Notts County, who sent a bundle of their black and white stripped shirts to Turin, with the Bianconeri using the colours ever since.

The two teams have gone on to share a common bond, and back in 2011 it was Notts who opened Juve’s new Allianz Arena by playing the first ever match there.

Ooops, just realised this is the wrong thread :(

Sorry Bob

• Like 2

The rate things are going, having a team to wear the shirts would be nice. It looks very much as though at least administration is on the horizon, and possibly worse. This has been on the cards since the Munto scam, and it wasn't far away in the years before then.

Whether it's as a phoenix club in the bottom division or a withering husk elsewhere, Notts will still be my main team. I've mentioned before that I wish Forest well, and I might post in here to talk about them from time to time, but they don't have the emotional pull Notts do for me.

While I'm here, I'll give a lot of credit to Neal Ardley and the rest of the Notts staff and players. They haven't been paid for the last couple of months, and have been told that they won't be this month, but they've kept going despite it all. Ardley hasn't blown me away with his tactical nous, but he's shown himself to be a decent person.

• Like 1

Apologies for my repeated use of this thread, but Notts County have finally been taken over by Alexander and Christoffer Reedtz, two Danish brothers who own a statistical website called Football Radar. They're not outstandingly wealthy, but that doesn't matter right now. What matters is that the club is still in existence and that Alan Hardy can now sod off.

Again, I know this isn't EFL news, but I had to share it somewhere.