Sign in to follow this  
million$$man

NHL 2020

It's free agent frenzy day. I honestly don't think there is a lot on the market outside of Duchene, Bobrovski. A lot of the UFA's this year are quite old so we're probably looking at one year contracts for a lot of them. 

The big news so far today is a trade between Toronto and Ottawa.

Nikita Zaitsev was traded to the Ottawa Senators, along with forward Connor Brown, by the Toronto Maple Leafs for defensemen Cody Ceci and Ben Harpur on Monday.

Ottawa also receives forward Aaron Luchuk and a third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft. Toronto also gets the rights to restricted free agent forward Michael Carcone.

I honestly don't like it but I guess if it means more room to sign Marner than that's a good thing. I'm not surprised they moved Zaitsev as I believe he wanted to leave but the Connor Brown trade definitely surprises me.

Edit: I forgot about Panarin and Lee when I mentioned top free agents. I don't think my team is going to be all that active today to be honest unless it's trades but we'll see.

Panarin going to NYR it sounds like for nearly 12

The Canucks have signed Oscar Fantenberg. They're getting a really good, steady and calm, depth defenseman here. Would have loved if he came back to Calgary, but the defensive logjam probably scared him off. I'm hoping that he gets to play regular minutes with Vancouver, because he was a great pickup for us to finish out the year. He's not going to light up the scoreboard, and he doesn't make flashy plays, but he's the type of guy you barely notice was out there at the end of the game, for all the good reasons.

Washington has signed Garnet Hathaway as well. They're getting a really good fourth line winger with Hathaway on a good cap hit of $1.5 million. The term on the deal, four years, may be a bit much though, as his ceiling is definitely as a third line grinder. He's a rough player who can score a bit, and he'll do well in Washington. For how long, who knows... but in the short term, it's a solid pickup.

Cam Talbot has been rumored to be signing with the Flames, and I am of two minds on this. First, he's a guy who has been a proven starter in the past. He lost his gig this past season in Edmonton, but when looking at former Oilers goalies, not a single one in recent memory has a better save percentage with Edmonton than they did outside of Edmonton. The Flames defense is infinitely better than what he played behind in Edmonton, and if it's a one year deal as rumored, he'll be extra motivated to hunker down and play his absolute best. Add to that the fact that this move would ensure that David Rittich gets every opportunity to be the number one goalie, and it makes sense.

On the other hand, with Rittich still relatively unproven, they'd be bringing in a guy to be his fall-back plan who absolutely shit the bed last season... and there are other goalies available through free agency or trade who would probably have a similar cap hit, but are coming off of much better seasons, or seasons that they weren't happy with, but weren't as much of a drop off as Talbot's was.

So, I won't be mad if they sign Talbot, because he's a good bounce back candidate and will probably be cheap on a one year deal... but I also won't be mad if they went with someone else.

EDIT: And the Oilers have signed Mike Smith to a $2 million deal for one year. While he had a much better stretch run and played well in our lopsided first round series, Smith finished the season with a save percentage below .900 on a team that was considered to have one of the best defensive cores in the league. Now he's going to Edmonton. I'm not sure that's the place for him to be playing for a contract for next year.

EDIT 2: Talbot to Calgary is official. The Alberta teams switch goalies from last season. One year at $2.75, which probably puts Rittich above that when he signs. The Flames are going to absolutely have to move some money out, because that probably puts our cap situation at less than $10 million in space. For comparison, Talbot had a save percentage of .892 last season playing for the less than stellar Oilers. Smith posted an .898 save percentage on a better team. Talbot is younger and more likely to bounce back, but Smith is a monster when he gets rolling.

EDIT 3: Sergei Bobrovsky, predictably, ends up in Florida. 7 years at $10 million per. Massive upgrade in net for the Panthers.

Joe Pavelski is no longer a San Jose Shark, signing a 3 year deal at $7 million per season with the Dallas Stars. If the salary cap era has given us anything, it's the amazing sights of seeing guys leave their long-time teams. It's crazy to think that Pavelski will be wearing a different uniform next season.

Edited by Gabriel

The first offer sheet of the off-season has been sent out. Montreal offered Sebastian Aho a 5 year deal worth $8.4 million per year. There isn't any news yet on whether or not it's been signed, but the Habs announced that the deal has been sent to Aho.

EDIT: The offer sheet was signed, so Carolina has one week to match and keep Aho, or decide to let him go to Montreal. The kicker here, is that the deal is front-loaded with $21 million being paid to Aho in the first year. So, if the Hurricanes decide to match the offer, they'll probably be making a move or two in order to free up some cash this season. Should Carolina decide to let him go, they will receive a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft pick. It's been 12 years since an offer-sheet went unmatched, but this is one that could very well see an RFA head to a new team.

EDIT 2: As expected, Matt Duchene lands in Nashville on a 7 year deal worth $8 million per.

EDIT 3: Don Waddell sounds like he is going to be matching the offer sheet, remarking "I know my summer just got better because I'm not going to spend all summer working on a contract now."  They have the cap space to do it, so it wouldn't surprise me. It would leave them with about $14 million to sign two more forwards, a defenseman and a goalie... but they aren't usually a cap team, so it's probable that if they match Aho's offer sheet, that they'll be making some trades to fill those holes or move money out in order to sign free agents.

For comparison's sake, this move would put them with $14 million left to spend if they wish to be right at the cap. However last year, they were $16 million below the salary cap. Expect moves if they match the offer sheet.

Edited by Gabriel

The Islanders made Robin Lehner a multi-year offer to return only for him to sign a one-year deal in Chicago instead.

Been a wonderful few days for the blue and orange teams I support.

I'm not sure why he chose to go to a team that already has Cam Ward and Corey Crawford. He's an upgrade for Ward I guess, but Chicago is going to have to move Ward in order to fit him in.

6 minutes ago, Forky said:

I'm not sure why he chose to go to a team that already has Cam Ward and Corey Crawford. He's an upgrade for Ward I guess, but Chicago is going to have to move Ward in order to fit him in.

Ward is a free agent, so the tandem as of today would be Crawford and Lehner... but that's $11 million going to just their goalies. The team still needs two NHL forwards, and they have les than $2 million in cap space now. With Collin Delia having played fairly well for them in 16 games last season, it wouldn't shock me to see Crawford on the move.

The Islanders did sign Semyon Varlamov to a four year deal in response though, so that's Greiss and Varlamov manning the crease for them. Varly is still a very good netminder.

I didn't realize that Ward was a free agent as well so that makes more sense. As good as Lehner was this year though I don't see him as a number 1 goalie. Then again I didn't see Crawford as one in the beginning either.

13 hours ago, Ruki said:

I miss Naz :(

I was surprised to see him traded but honestly I'm okay with it because he'll still be on one of my top 3 teams in the league. On the other hand I really liked Barrie and Kerfoot so I'm sad to see them leaving Colorado. I watch a lot of Leafs games though so I'll still see them play.

12 hours ago, FirstlyIAmSeanDMan said:

That's pretty great. I thought for sure he was going to end up going somewhere else. I'd like to see the Isles have another good year.

While it sucks to lose Kadri, I think what we got in return will make us a much better team. 

I really don't know how I feel about so many former Flames on the Canucks.

I'd feel better about it if they brought in Loui Eriksson.

1 hour ago, FirstlyIAmSeanDMan said:

I really don't know how I feel about so many former Flames on the Canucks.

I'd feel better about it if they brought in Loui Eriksson.

Fantenberg is a sneaky good player. He's the type of un-sung guy who you barely even notice is there, because he's so smart with his hockey sense.

Ferland is a great, gritty player capable of putting up 40-50 points. I think the term and dollar amount he received may be a bit much in the way of a gamble, but he's someone that Brad Treliving hated giving away, and that Tre even tried to bring back in the past couple of weeks. Obviously, the Canucks had more wiggle room to give him bigger dollars, which sucks, but he should do well for you guys.

11 minutes ago, Ruki said:

The legend is coming back to Toronto! David Clarkson! :D:D:D:D:D

He is going to be such a great addition to the LTIR for them. This deal definitely pushes the Leafs over and above. Start planning the parade, Toronto!

EDIT: Sparks adds some nice goaltending depth for Vegas though. I feel like he will benefit from a change in scenery, and a less demanding market.

Edited by Gabriel

The Flames re-signed Sam Bennett to a 2 year deal worth $2.55 million per year. Good contract for what he's brought in his time in the NHL. Better contract when you factor in that he still has the potential to breakout as an offensive star, and that he'll still be a restricted free agent at the end of this deal.

They have to get Mangiapane, Rittich and Tkachuk all re-signed still though, and only have something like $8 million left to do it with. That's not going to work, and Ritter's got his arbitration hearing in the next week or two, so I expect some big trades out of Calgary in late-July/early-August.

Anybody want Frolik for some Beef Jerky and a late-round draft pick or two?

Any takers on TJ Brodie for prospects or picks?

Don't make us trade Hamonic, please.

I want Hamonic on the Leafs at his cap hit, that's a sweet deal. But all of our cap space is being saved for a certain winger who should freaking sign already. I imagine once one of Laine, Marner, Tkachuk, etc... sign, the rest will soon follow. The most I'd be willing to give Marner is 10x8... under that, great. Over that, go fly a kite.

He'll hold out until the Leafs can put guys on the LTIR

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

I want Hamonic on the Leafs at his cap hit, that's a sweet deal. But all of our cap space is being saved for a certain winger who should freaking sign already. I imagine once one of Laine, Marner, Tkachuk, etc... sign, the rest will soon follow. The most I'd be willing to give Marner is 10x8... under that, great. Over that, go fly a kite.

Yes, fly a kite to Pittsburgh and hop on a Penguin :D 

The Flames avoid arbitration with David Rittich by signing him to a two-year deal worth a total of $5.5 million. Anything under $3 million per season would have been reasonable, so this is a good deal for the team. He was steadier than Mike Smith last season, despite fading a bit down the stretch. He did have a lower body injury that he played through, though, as well... so that probably contributed to his decline in the second half.

Even then, the team played more fearlessly in front of him than they did with Smith in net, which opened up the offense a lot more. Cam Talbot is a good bet for a bounce back season as well, and he knows what his role is on the team, mentoring Rittich and stepping in when necessary, so there aren't a lot of worries there. Rittich has shown improvement every season he's played at the professional level, and ranked among the best in terms of 5 Vs 5 Save Percentage last season. He's a good guy for the team to get behind and cultivate as a number one, and his teammates absolutely love the dude.

I believe this leaves us with between $4 and $6 million, depending who stays on the opening night roster, to re-sign Mangiapane and Tkachuk now. We already knew that the team would have to move some money out to get Chucky taken care of... but until the dominoes start falling and the other big name RFA's sign with their teams, I don't think Treliving needs to panic in regard to getting Tkachuk's deal done. He should be doing everything he can to move money out before he gets backed into a corner, for sure, but it's looking like there's still time for him to try and get the best deal possible on whoever he sends away.

Michael Stone will likely get bought out before Thursday's deadline if they can't make a trade prior to then. Buyouts aren't ideal, but it would be a better move than holding onto him and then having to move someone like Brodie, Hamonic or Frolik in a bad trade just because we need the cap space for Tkachuk.