NHL 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know how I feel about so many former Flames on the Canucks.

I'd feel better about it if they brought in Loui Eriksson.

1 hour ago, FirstlyIAmSeanDMan said:

I really don't know how I feel about so many former Flames on the Canucks.

I'd feel better about it if they brought in Loui Eriksson.

Fantenberg is a sneaky good player. He's the type of un-sung guy who you barely even notice is there, because he's so smart with his hockey sense.

Ferland is a great, gritty player capable of putting up 40-50 points. I think the term and dollar amount he received may be a bit much in the way of a gamble, but he's someone that Brad Treliving hated giving away, and that Tre even tried to bring back in the past couple of weeks. Obviously, the Canucks had more wiggle room to give him bigger dollars, which sucks, but he should do well for you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ruki said:

The legend is coming back to Toronto! David Clarkson! :D:D:D:D:D

He is going to be such a great addition to the LTIR for them. This deal definitely pushes the Leafs over and above. Start planning the parade, Toronto!

EDIT: Sparks adds some nice goaltending depth for Vegas though. I feel like he will benefit from a change in scenery, and a less demanding market.

Edited by Gabriel

The Flames re-signed Sam Bennett to a 2 year deal worth $2.55 million per year. Good contract for what he's brought in his time in the NHL. Better contract when you factor in that he still has the potential to breakout as an offensive star, and that he'll still be a restricted free agent at the end of this deal.

They have to get Mangiapane, Rittich and Tkachuk all re-signed still though, and only have something like $8 million left to do it with. That's not going to work, and Ritter's got his arbitration hearing in the next week or two, so I expect some big trades out of Calgary in late-July/early-August.

Anybody want Frolik for some Beef Jerky and a late-round draft pick or two?

Any takers on TJ Brodie for prospects or picks?

Don't make us trade Hamonic, please.

I want Hamonic on the Leafs at his cap hit, that's a sweet deal. But all of our cap space is being saved for a certain winger who should freaking sign already. I imagine once one of Laine, Marner, Tkachuk, etc... sign, the rest will soon follow. The most I'd be willing to give Marner is 10x8... under that, great. Over that, go fly a kite.

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

I want Hamonic on the Leafs at his cap hit, that's a sweet deal. But all of our cap space is being saved for a certain winger who should freaking sign already. I imagine once one of Laine, Marner, Tkachuk, etc... sign, the rest will soon follow. The most I'd be willing to give Marner is 10x8... under that, great. Over that, go fly a kite.

Yes, fly a kite to Pittsburgh and hop on a Penguin :D 

The Flames avoid arbitration with David Rittich by signing him to a two-year deal worth a total of $5.5 million. Anything under $3 million per season would have been reasonable, so this is a good deal for the team. He was steadier than Mike Smith last season, despite fading a bit down the stretch. He did have a lower body injury that he played through, though, as well... so that probably contributed to his decline in the second half.

Even then, the team played more fearlessly in front of him than they did with Smith in net, which opened up the offense a lot more. Cam Talbot is a good bet for a bounce back season as well, and he knows what his role is on the team, mentoring Rittich and stepping in when necessary, so there aren't a lot of worries there. Rittich has shown improvement every season he's played at the professional level, and ranked among the best in terms of 5 Vs 5 Save Percentage last season. He's a good guy for the team to get behind and cultivate as a number one, and his teammates absolutely love the dude.

I believe this leaves us with between $4 and $6 million, depending who stays on the opening night roster, to re-sign Mangiapane and Tkachuk now. We already knew that the team would have to move some money out to get Chucky taken care of... but until the dominoes start falling and the other big name RFA's sign with their teams, I don't think Treliving needs to panic in regard to getting Tkachuk's deal done. He should be doing everything he can to move money out before he gets backed into a corner, for sure, but it's looking like there's still time for him to try and get the best deal possible on whoever he sends away.

Michael Stone will likely get bought out before Thursday's deadline if they can't make a trade prior to then. Buyouts aren't ideal, but it would be a better move than holding onto him and then having to move someone like Brodie, Hamonic or Frolik in a bad trade just because we need the cap space for Tkachuk.

On 25/07/2019 at 19:52, Ruki said:

Honestly when I saw the Aho offer sheet I figured that was it, Marner and Laine were both getting somewhere around 9-10 mil/yr. It's definitely a matter now of guys going on LTIR to free up the additional cap space and then them signing their long-term deals.

On 25/07/2019 at 19:52, Ruki said:

Honestly when I saw the Aho offer sheet I figured that was it, Marner and Laine were both getting somewhere around 9-10 mil/yr. It's definitely a matter now of guys going on LTIR to free up the additional cap space and then them signing their long-term deals.

• Like 1

Was that honestly how you figured it?

• 1 month later...

The Oilers new uniforms are so, so bad. It's like someone looked at their current uniforms and said "Listen, guys, the salary cap keeps going up. Is there anyway we can have a uniform with LESS colors? No, it doesn't have to look good, just cheaper to make. Thanks guys."

Okay guys it was weird enough with the teams swapping goalies and overpaid power forwards but whose bright idea was this?

tvA9K6V.png

• Like 3

The Flames signed Matthew Tkachuk to a three year deal with a cap hit of $7 million per season. The final year of the deal is actually worth $9 million, which means that his final year as an arbitration eligible player will mean that his qualifying offer will have to be at least $9 million.

It's a good deal for the Flames and Tkachuk both. He becomes our highest paid player, but doesn't destroy our salary cap. It allows him to really drive home what he's worth over the next three seasons as well, knowing that the salary cap is expected to see a significant increase between now and then due to the new North American television deals and the Seattle expansion team coming into the league.

Oh, and Big Save Dave has allowed just one goal on 40+ shots through the exhibition period here so far. If he can stay healthy this year, he could be the first legitimate number one we've had since Kiprusoff.