NHL 2020

He played Zack Hyman more than Matthews and Tavares. I don't care that he plays PK, that's stupid. And when we're down, why are you putting the 4th line out there? We have all this firepower (Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, Barrie, Marner) and we're wasting it. Plus, the only nights he lets Anderson sit is on back to backs, meaning he's going to play like 70+ games and be drained by the playoffs. 

He needs to go. 

It seems like such a disconnect to have Mike Babcock and Kyle Dubas on the same team. It would be like having AOC and Mitt Romney as running mates.

Loved the Yotes and Flames line brawl the other day. More people need to horse collar Calgary Flames from behind.

• Like 1

It's early in the season, and Calgary is close to where they were at this time last year, but I think something is coming. David Rittich has been excellent this season, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the team's record. I think, aside from Tkachuk, Andersson, Valimaki and Rittich, the team should be looking at potential returns for everyone via trade. This group is just too content with losing, and they don't battle hard enough until they're behind.

I really believe that one deal may help reinvigorate the lineup, so there's no need for a full tear down... but if Monahan, Gaudreau or Giordano bring back a return that addresses the needs of the team in a big way, that helps them win now, Treliving shouldn't be shy about pulling the trigger. He can't let this team slip away from him for nothing like the Flames did when Iginla's window was closing.

EDIT: Elias Lindholm should be added to my no-trade list.

Edited by Gabriel

Agreed. He took this team as far as he could. His inability to adapt (Rielly-Ceci is not working, playing Hyman more than Matthews/Tavares, overplaying Patty in the playoffs, putting out our 4th line when we are down in goals) is what cost him. 

I want to add to this shit with Babcock and now especially Peters.

Hockey has a lot of problems reaching younger sports fans, especially female fans and people of color. I don't have to tell you what the general complexion is at a hockey game (hint: same color as the ice). Every so often a story comes out about a racist hockey personality or a racist hockey coach (but in the month of November we've had 2 big ones). In basketball, an owner got caught on tape being racist and was forced to sell his team within 3 days. Meanwhile, in hockey this happens 10 years ago and the player doesn't feel comfortable coming forward through any of the provided channels. That is not an endorsement of the powers-that-be in professional hockey. And naturally this seeps all the way down. If you're a kid excited about playing hockey and you get to the rink only to slowly find out your coach likes to make jokes about some ethnicity what are you gonna do? You might keep playing, tough through it because you aren't directly targeted or not care because you don't have that level of empathy towards the targets of their joke. If you are that ethnicity, there's a very, very slim chance you're riding it out and sticking with hockey when there are other sports out there you can play.

Canada and the US are both exceptionally diverse countries, and in neither do you see that diversity reflected in youth hockey. It's a big deal that Auston Matthews is Latino because he's the only Latino hockey star! It's a big deal that P.K. Subban is as good as is, because how many other charismatic black hockey players are there? They could actually inspire kids to pick up a stick because they see someone that looks like them playing the sport and excelling at it. But, once they do, what's to say they get past bantam without starting to feel uncomfortable?

It's frustrating. All these people in power just need to think. You got a really great sport, don't go and ruin it by closing off the doors to it because of your dumb old-school mentality. Stop abusing your players. And especially stop being passively (or in the case of Cherry and Peters) actively bigoted.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I want to add to this shit with Babcock and now especially Peters.

Hockey has a lot of problems reaching younger sports fans, especially female fans and people of color. I don't have to tell you what the general complexion is at a hockey game (hint: same color as the ice). Every so often a story comes out about a racist hockey personality or a racist hockey coach (but in the month of November we've had 2 big ones). In basketball, an owner got caught on tape being racist and was forced to sell his team within 3 days. Meanwhile, in hockey this happens 10 years ago and the player doesn't feel comfortable coming forward through any of the provided channels. That is not an endorsement of the powers-that-be in professional hockey. And naturally this seeps all the way down. If you're a kid excited about playing hockey and you get to the rink only to slowly find out your coach likes to make jokes about some ethnicity what are you gonna do? You might keep playing, tough through it because you aren't directly targeted or not care because you don't have that level of empathy towards the targets of their joke. If you are that ethnicity, there's a very, very slim chance you're riding it out and sticking with hockey when there are other sports out there you can play.

Canada and the US are both exceptionally diverse countries, and in neither do you see that diversity reflected in youth hockey. It's a big deal that Auston Matthews is Latino because he's the only Latino hockey star! It's a big deal that P.K. Subban is as good as is, because how many other charismatic black hockey players are there? They could actually inspire kids to pick up a stick because they see someone that looks like them playing the sport and excelling at it. But, once they do, what's to say they get past bantam without starting to feel uncomfortable?

It's frustrating. All these people in power just need to think. You got a really great sport, don't go and ruin it by closing off the doors to it because of your dumb old-school mentality. Stop abusing your players. And especially stop being passively (or in the case of Cherry and Peters) actively bigoted.

With Peters, that now includes PHYSICAL abuse. Holy shit there are a lot of awful people in hockey. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ruki said:

With Peters, that now includes PHYSICAL abuse. Holy shit there are a lot of awful people in hockey. 

And they keep getting allowed to keep their jobs or get new jobs!

It came out that Ron Francis and the Canes front office were made aware about stuff Peters was doing and elected to do nothing about it.

• Confused 1

I am happy that the Flames organization and the NHL are taking the time to really put the pieces together before they act on anything, but it's looking increasingly more like the only option is to fire him. With all of the allegations, if they don't fire Peters, I'll be disappointed in my team. He was a good coach for us, but looking at the results this year, I think he's lost the team anyways.

They could have just fired him right away, citing the team's performance through the first chunk of the season, but kudos to them for investigating before reacting. These situations need to be taken seriously every time, but it is absolutely worth it to do some digging and figure out what's true, what isn't, and what is somewhere in the middle.

If this is the type of guy that Bill Peters is, I don't want him on our bench anyways. Give the reigns to Geoff Ward for now and start looking for a replacement. They have to look at the new generation of coaches though. Find someone who can actually relate to and get through to these guys in a respectful, but demanding, way.

At this point there's way too much out there for there not to be something true about what Peters has done. Though as is usually the situation in allegations like this, probably all of it is true. Nobody has just one racist incident.

It's not bad that Calgary is doing some sort of due diligence before firing him, but they still should do a better job communicating that he isn't with the team and won't be with the team instead of the whole "we have no comment at this time" spiel. Have a comment, and make it clear you are looking for unequivocal evidence Peters did none of this as opposed to the other way around.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

At this point there's way too much out there for there not to be something true about what Peters has done. Though as is usually the situation in allegations like this, probably all of it is true. Nobody has just one racist incident.

It's not bad that Calgary is doing some sort of due diligence before firing him, but they still should do a better job communicating that he isn't with the team and won't be with the team instead of the whole "we have no comment at this time" spiel. Have a comment, and make it clear you are looking for unequivocal evidence Peters did none of this as opposed to the other way around.

They did do that. Treliving said that Peters is not currently with the team. Geoff Ward will coach the team until they make their decision, and they do not take the allegations lightly. Tree also mentioned that they want to do right by both the accused and their accusers, and that they won't comment on specifics until they have done all of their research.

It's not like they're just trying to sweep it under the rug and hope that people stop caring about it. They aren't the Houston Astros.

• Like 1

Bill Peters has resigned as coach of the Calgary Flames. Geoff Ward will coach the team on an interim basis until they find someone to take over.

Peters' apology didn't seem all that sincere, so even though I believe very strongly in second chances, and that people grow over the years, I am still happy that he is gone. It also didn't help that he had physical altercations with players while in Carolina more recently.

If I am Treliving, I'm on the hunt for someone with a new school approach. Not necessarily someone who will treat the team with kid gloves on, but someone who understands better how to get the best out of the modern player... and someone who isn't afraid to juggle lines more aggressively when the team is slumping. I also think, that before any moves are made in regards to trades this season, they should have a coach in place who can get some time with the guys on the roster and make his own assessment of what the team needs and who doesn't fit in with the plan.

Whatever they do, they have to set this next coach up for success. Geoff Ward and Martin Gelinas will be able to hold the fort just fine with what they have. The players have a ton of respect for both guys. It's going to be important that they don't rush the decision.

On 20/11/2019 at 09:30, Gabriel said:

It's early in the season, and Calgary is close to where they were at this time last year, but I think something is coming.

The thing that was coming was racism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The New Jersey Devils today announced that they have relieved John Hynes of his head coaching duties. Alain Nasreddine will become Interim Head Coach and Peter Horachek, currently a pro scout for the team, will join the coaching staff as an assistant under Nasreddine. The announcements were made by Devils' Executive Vice President/General Manager Ray Shero.