NHL 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Why idea of Canadiens trading Carey Price is unfounded, ridiculous

I've been seeing and hearing this stuff come up, and my main question is - what team wants Carey Price? When he's good, he's one of the best. But his contract is terrible, he's not always at his best, and their are a number of goaltenders on expiring deals that you could get right now if you thought you needed an upgrade. I'd rather take a chance on Robin Lehner, Jaro Halak, or even Corey Crawford. 

Price is never getting traded.

1. He IS the Habs.

2. Injury history.

3. That cap hit. Ooof. Spending 10 million on a goalie who can be as hot/cold as Price is a horrifying (almost as horrifying as the Bobrovski contract).

For better or worse, he's retiring a Hab.

Price will absolutely ride out the back half or third of that contract behind a younger, better goaltender. But they can't ever trade him, even ignoring the possible fan reaction. It was a nuts contract when they signed him to it, but maybe they can get things right with this retool and actually have a competitive team around him in 2 or 3 years.

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Price will absolutely ride out the back half or third of that contract behind a younger, better goaltender. But they can't ever trade him, even ignoring the possible fan reaction. It was a nuts contract when they signed him to it, but maybe they can get things right with this retool and actually have a competitive team around him in 2 or 3 years.

Yeah that was a pretty insane deal

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, caMeron esposiTo Forbes said:

hurricanes have an emergency backup in rn which is pretty buckwild. still beating the leafs tho

The emergency backup is going to get the win.

This is so bad. Like, this IS a good team, they are just..... I don't even fucking know.

• 3 weeks later...

From Chris Johnston's article on Sportsnet...

The Stanley Cup has only seen two seasons where it wasn’t awarded: In 2004-05, because of a year-long lockout, and 1918-19, because of the Spanish flu.

• 3 weeks later...

So according to Chris Pronger himself, in 2006 when he went to Anaheim, Toronto offered Tomas Kaberle, Matt Stajan, and two 2nds for Pronger. Edmonton countered by replacing one of the 2nds with Alex Steen and Toronto dropped out.

5 minutes ago, SeanDMan said:

So according to Chris Pronger himself, in 2006 when he went to Anaheim, Toronto offered Tomas Kaberle, Matt Stajan, and two 2nds for Pronger. Edmonton countered by replacing one of the 2nds with Alex Steen and Toronto dropped out.

Am I right in thinking the deal they got from Anaheim was better? 

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

Am I right in thinking the deal they got from Anaheim was better? 

On July 3, 2006, the Oilers traded Chris Pronger to the Ducks for two players and three picks:

Joffrey Lupul

Ladislav Smid

2007 1st-Rounder

2008 1st-Rounder

2008 2nd-Rounder

The Ducks won the cup the very next year so those are late, late firsts.

Lupul vs Stajan

Lupul      701 gp   205  g  215  a  420 pts
Stajan    1003  gp  146 g   267  a  413  pts  

Smid vs Kaberle

Smid     583 gp 12 g 60 a 72 pts
Kaberle 984 gp 87 g 476 a 563 pts

Stajan is slightly less offensively gifted than Lupul but Lupul is purely a one way player whereas Stajan was a both ways center.

As for Smid vs Kaberle, Smid was much younger, but, yeah, well.

So it really depends how well the Leafs picks would have been. Oh, also, Alex Steen:

Steen 1018 gp 245 g 377 a 622 pts

And Steen would likely be playing this year, which can't be said of any of the other players.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Roberto Luongo just joked on Twitter that he threw a game in the Stanley Cup final so that they could win at home. They lost in 7. -_-