UEFA Champions League 2019/20

Lineker

I know I'm a stuck record on VAR at the moment, but I hate this one. A nothing foul (if that) on the halfway line that the ref sees, a move that then goes the length of the field to the penalty area and a clear foul. Just feels like an excuse for the ref to not have to make a decision. For the record I think the red card is wrong, but for it to go back to a foul on the halfway line? But you can happily score direct from a wrongly awarded corner? Games gone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colly said:

I know I'm a stuck record on VAR at the moment, but I hate this one. A nothing foul (if that) on the halfway line that the ref sees, a move that then goes the length of the field to the penalty area and a clear foul. Just feels like an excuse for the ref to not have to make a decision. For the record I think the red card is wrong, but for it to go back to a foul on the halfway line? But you can happily score direct from a wrongly awarded corner? Games gone.

I mean...the guy pushed the player. It was poor refereeing. The VAR fixed an obvious mistake. It was the mistake that was the issue, not the VAR system in this instance.

Not sure the Pulisic goal should've been given but VAR isn't exactly the most straight-forward thing. The BT camera angles looked like an obvious offside, and the fact that the commentators pointed out how wonky the VAR angle looked, doesn't fill me with confidence that it was the correct call. Between that and the amount of time it took to make the decision, something definitely needs to be looked at. Surely stopping the clock has to be considered to prevent umpteen minutes of injury time?

VAR decision here was really long. I didn't think it was offside from where I'm stood but thought there was a foul on Van Dijk. 

Napoli are forcing us to go wide and Robbo/Milner aren't offering much and Gomez isn't the best of crossers. They haven't offered much themselves but got the goal and can afford to sit back

Hopefully Fabinho's injury isn't too bad either. Guys been immense for us this season. 

There honestly wasn't a foul on VVD. If he goes down right away, maybe the ref stops the game, but he waited hobbling instead. No matter what, Lovren and Robbo didn't react to Virgil going down and made it way too easy for Napoli to get in behind.

Points a point against a team who tbh looked like they were happy to take a point coming into this. 

Much better in the second half and I think the Ox sub made all the difference but at the same time, Napoli were happy to force out wide and who in crosses that their keeper would catch or send the cross be over hit or cleared. 

2 hours ago, Liam said:

I mean...the guy pushed the player. It was poor refereeing. The VAR fixed an obvious mistake. It was the mistake that was the issue, not the VAR system in this instance.

But VAR wasn't brought in to correct each and every 'obvious mistake', and that's an absolutely standard foul you'll see in most games and the defender almost always gets the benefit of the doubt. It is a foul, but there's 10-15 seconds of play after it in which PSG have built up to a goalscoring opportunity. The screen even says "Potential penalty check" but instead they're checking something that happened in their own half. Again, had it gone out for a throw in that went the wrong way and an identical situation occurred with the pen it would have been given. Sometimes "obvious mistakes" happen, and if that foul was on the edge of the Madrid box and the foul for the pen was seconds later I'd agree with you, VAR should overturn, but with 50 yards of defending in between the incidents? Not for me Clive.

...the ref should have given a free kick. It got that decision correct. I've said before that you can't pick and choose what is or isn't judged within a moment that is subjected to VAR. During that sequence, the ref should have blown up for a foul. Within that sequence, the system got it right. It sucks, but it sucks primarily because the ref ignored a foul and then went against his own judgement when given a chance to look at it again, even though he had a perfect view in the first instance. 

So where does that end? We've gone from not even doing retrospective punishment if the ref "sees it" because they don't want to  rereferee a game, to literally rerefereeing chunks of games. 

Are we stopping the use of VAR for just gamechanging decisions and just going to start reviewing every decision on the field?

How long would PSG have had to have been in possession for that foul to no longer be on their record and be able to score? Should the player who did the push have been shouting at his team to give it a minute or so?