What's the single greatest game of all time?

probablyoliver

No ifs, ands or buts, what is the best game of all time?

Like, by all means talk about other people's choice and that but don't give a list of, like, four games and say you can't choose. You can only choose one, if you choose more than one you really are a total bastard.

Greatest game. Ever.

Go.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Like, by all means talk about other people's choice and that but don't give a list of, like, four games and say you can't choose. You can only choose one, if you choose more than one you really are a total bastard.

Greatest game. Ever.

Go.

Zelda Breath of the Wild. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Greatest game. Ever.

Go.

You are picking Go? Not a bad shout I suppose.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ollie said:

This was going to be my answer and was the reason I started this thread. Fuck yeah, RPS.

It was a revelation playing the game. My old answer used to be Super Mario World. Breath of the Wild does everything Super Mario World does better. The secrets, the open world, the aesthetics, the non-linear nature of the game. BoTW is the perfect game. 

If we're talking about the game that's the most significant, rather than our own personal favourites, I'd agree with Tetris. It's a game whose rules can be learnt in seconds and which can be played for a few short minutes or for hours, depending on your availability and preferences. It's anything from a convenient little time sync on a handheld to a marathon experience on a home system to a social "pass-the-controller" affair between friends and family.

It's also acted as a springboard for many other successful variations of the game, most recently Tetris Effect and Tetris 99, as well as probably thousands of knock-offs over the years. As far as taking something simple and running with it goes, Tetris has to be at the top of the pile in this form of media.

• Like 1

For me it needs to be a game that contains everything, one that can bring you laughter as well as emotionally move you to tears. One that makes you think with a lot of ways of handling problems as well as being quick and easy to play.

The correct answer therefore is the WW1 edition of Sensible Soccer. Laugh as your opposing players get blown up, cry as your goalkeeper gets blown up, think about the easiest way to blow up a large amount of opposing players at once and enjoy how easy it is to score when the opposing players are no longer alive to stop you. 

8 minutes ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

Weapon fragility system in Breath of the Wild almost ruin the game tbh.

GTA San Andreas.

See this did annoy me when I first played, but now I love it. There's no shortage of weapons in the world, everything is totally disposable. As soon as you get the hoarding out of your mind, it becomes a lot more manageable.

For me I just love the freedom of it all. There's a lot of games now that seem to drop you in an open world and tell you to get on with it. They might point you in the direction of the main quest but it's totally up to you if you choose to ignore it and start marching the other way, it's just that BotW is the first game to do it and make it fun.

In the likes of RDR2, The Witcher, Fallout and multiple others, I know I can fuck off and do my own thing but I always feel like it's just plodding along until I go and do what the game wants me to do, but I don't get that with Zelda. It's phenomenal.

1 minute ago, Ollie said:

See this did annoy me when I first played, but now I love it. There's no shortage of weapons in the world, everything is totally disposable. As soon as you get the hoarding out of your mind, it becomes a lot more manageable.

For me I just love the freedom of it all. There's a lot of games now that seem to drop you in an open world and tell you to get on with it. They might point you in the direction of the main quest but it's totally up to you if you choose to ignore it and start marching the other way, it's just that BotW is the first game to do it and make it fun.

In the likes of RDR2, The Witcher, Fallout and multiple others, I know I can fuck off and do my own thing but I always feel like it's just plodding along until I go and do what the game wants me to do, but I don't get that with Zelda. It's phenomenal.

That's fair. I think the issue with a lot of 'open world' games is a lack of things to do. It's why the Yakuza games are so good - they small, but incredibly fleshed out maps, and it's largely the same map game to game, but there is always a ton to do. In that sense they're easily the 'biggest' open world games.

And more open world games should either take that approach, or go back to levels/loading areas.

Difficult to really pinpoint to one specific game, but I would have to say Red Dead Redemption 2. 

Purely because I think it's an absolute masterpiece of art. The level of detail is incredible and unmatched in my opinion, especially considering the size of the game. 

Other than that, not sure if it counts but the Arkham series of games was probably the most enjoyment I've gotten out of video games. For similar reasoning, I think the design of the game from characters to buildings is excellent and is kind of how I always imagined the Batman universe to be. 

• Like 1

How anyone can try to genuinely say Tetris is one of the best (not influential, best to play games ever) baffles me. What kind of serial killer is sitting around passing the controller to his family during marathon tetris sessions?

In this day and age, with the incredible wealth of experiences available whether you want story, action, shooting, realism, art, literally anything you can think of, tetris is such a boring answer. It's a fantastic puzzle game but best of all time? Of all genres? I'm not having a go at bobfoc but I see people say this sort of answer a lot and honestly cant take it seriously. I've seen trendy magazines or web listicles always rank it highly and it just screams hipster. If you legitimately dont get bored of tetris after about 10 minutes, I hate you, and hope your leg falls off.

• Like 2

It’s probably recency bias but I have to say RDR 2. Phenomenal story and performances, beautiful design and art direction, ridiculously fun game play, and an endlessly immersive world. Now that I’ve given the online version a go, it’s become an almost zen-like experience to hunt, fish, and pick plants.

• Like 4