What's the single greatest game of all time?

probablyoliver

45 minutes ago, Kaney said:

How anyone can try to genuinely say Tetris is one of the best (not influential, best to play games ever) baffles me. What kind of serial killer is sitting around passing the controller to his family during marathon tetris sessions?

In this day and age, with the incredible wealth of experiences available whether you want story, action, shooting, realism, art, literally anything you can think of, tetris is such a boring answer. It's a fantastic puzzle game but best of all time? Of all genres? I'm not having a go at bobfoc but I see people say this sort of answer a lot and honestly cant take it seriously. I've seen trendy magazines or web listicles always rank it highly and it just screams hipster. If you legitimately dont get bored of tetris after about 10 minutes, I hate you, and hope your leg falls off.

Name a game as intuitive, accessible and fun as Tetris.  

If I gave my daughter Tetris, she would learn the game in 5 minutes. 

Pokemon. Mario. Even Angry Birds can be picked up within minutes but no ones calling it the best game ever just cos it's simple.

I'd happily agree tetris is the best puzzle game ever but best game ever ever? I dont see it.

17 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Pokemon. Mario. Even Angry Birds can be picked up within minutes but no ones calling it the best game ever just cos it's simple.

I'd happily agree tetris is the best puzzle game ever but best game ever ever? I dont see it.

Sure lots of people would. Depends on what your criteria for best game is. Tetris has no story. If you value story in a game, Tetris is not your game. If you value a simple game loop that is easy to understand, but difficult to master, I cannot think of a better game than Tetris. 

Games are an experience that requires you to engage with them. Being intuitive and accessible are hugely significant factors for me in determining what is the best. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Then I hate them too :shifty:

I actually thought about listing Tetris, haha. 

To me, the visual aesthetic is super important in a game and Tetris aesthetic has always been a blah for me. 

8 minutes ago, RPS said:

I actually thought about listing Tetris, haha. 

To me, the visual aesthetic is super important in a game and Tetris aesthetic has always been a blah for me. 

Story has always been a big thing for me so I was toying with something like Metal Gear Solid but if I'm thinking about the best ever then yeah it has to have a bit of everything.

If I had to put done one (only one, fuck you Ollie) I'd have to go with something like Super Mario Galaxy maybe. Something that is at heart very simple but loads of variety, great visuals, sound, tonnes of personality etc.

I loved RDR2 and think its possibly the best written game in terms of a character driven story but it can be overwhelming with the controls and depth and shit.

4 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Super Mario World.

Taking all personal bias and preference out of the equation, this. I would imagine the most sizeable ratio of people learned how to play games thanks to it, it's still played to death today, non-gamers play it, it has plenty of hidden fun and the game is simple but has enough depth and challenge to make you keep coming back. Honestly don't know if you could come up with another game I'd put on the same level.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Benji said:

Taking all personal bias and preference out of the equation, this. I would imagine the most sizeable ratio of people learned how to play games thanks to it, it's still played to death today, non-gamers play it, it has plenty of hidden fun and the game is simple but has enough depth and challenge to make you keep coming back. Honestly don't know if you could come up with another game I'd put on the same level.

That's exactly how I feel about it. It was hardly my first video game, or even the first one I was in love with, but Super Mario World opened the doors to a lot of other games for me, and it still holds up to this day. My wife and I will still play through once every year or two.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack stans Wiccan said:

Weapon fragility system in Breath of the Wild almost ruin the game tbh.

I found it annoying too, but not as much as rainy weather making surfaces impossible to climb. Breath of the Wild, to me, is a game that flirts with brilliance and then messes it up by using systems that make it less fun. The story is nothing special either.

Still, the fact that it engaged me for a long time, despite the fact that I've never liked any other 3D Zelda games, has to be worth something. If Nintendo tinkers with a couple of things in the sequel, I could see myself loving it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaney said:

How anyone can try to genuinely say Tetris is one of the best (not influential, best to play games ever) baffles me. What kind of serial killer is sitting around passing the controller to his family during marathon tetris sessions?

In this day and age, with the incredible wealth of experiences available whether you want story, action, shooting, realism, art, literally anything you can think of, tetris is such a boring answer. It's a fantastic puzzle game but best of all time? Of all genres? I'm not having a go at bobfoc but I see people say this sort of answer a lot and honestly cant take it seriously. I've seen trendy magazines or web listicles always rank it highly and it just screams hipster. If you legitimately dont get bored of tetris after about 10 minutes, I hate you, and hope your leg falls off.

Now I know who gave my mum her stroke! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think Theme Hospital is a legitimately great shout.

However, if I had to think of which game I've played for the longest, excluding simulation games (like FM) and RPGs (which rely on a certain amount of time in terms of gameplay)....

Sonic the Hedgehog.

9 minutes ago, Liam said:

I think Theme Hospital is a legitimately great shout.

However, if I had to think of which game I've played for the longest, excluding simulation games (like FM) and RPGs (which rely on a certain amount of time in terms of gameplay)....

Sonic the Hedgehog.

How?

2 hours ago, Josh Marenghi said:

It’s probably recency bias but I have to say RDR 2. Phenomenal story and performances, beautiful design and art direction, ridiculously fun game play, and an endlessly immersive world. Now that I’ve given the online version a go, it’s become an almost zen-like experience to hunt, fish, and pick plants.

Same. I was a bit put off by people saying bad things about the controls and the pacing of the game so I sort of got it a long time after it was released. Absolutely none of it dragged and I legit think that Arthur is one of the best characters in fiction in the history of gaming, certainly, but also in the wider media. And like you say, the online version is quite relaxing. I haven't really come across any other players that were giving me grief in free roam apart from one sod that lassoed me and dragged me around for a bit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would go with Super Mario World, too. Crazy to think it had a rushed production schedule, I would love to have seen how it would've been if it had all the time it was supposed to have.

37 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Now I know who gave my mum her stroke! 

Sorry.

29 minutes ago, MDK said:

one sod that lassoed me and dragged me around for a bit.

Sorry.

• Like 2