What's the single greatest game of all time?

probablyoliver

39 minutes ago, Liam said:

How did I play Sonic the Hedgehog more than any other game?

By pressing the 'on' button.

I never found the games enjoyable. I was always a Nintendo kid, but I just never understood how someone spent so much time playing Sonic games. The graphics were always great, though. 

14 minutes ago, RPS said:

I never found the games enjoyable. I was always a Nintendo kid, but I just never understood how someone spent so much time playing Sonic games. The graphics were always great, though. 

I had a Sega Megadrive. Played it a lot.

Had a PS2 or 3. Bought Classics. Played it a lot.

Have a PS4. Bought Classics. Played it...a bit.

It is very much accumulative as much as anything else.

However, Green Hill Zone is probably the most satisfying level of a game to ever exist and does the most to sell the concept of the game than anything I've ever played.

• Like 2

Tetris.

Okay serious answer, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Such a brilliant game. VTMB2 and Cyberpunk 2077 look like they can upend it, though.

A really hard choice to say, honestly. And my answer likely will always change day to day. If I had to choose right now? Persona 5. Fantastic story, amazing music, JRPG goodness. There's just so much about it that I love. 

If I am going purely off how much enjoyment I have had from a game then it would be something from the N64... Probably Goldeneye. In fact, any game that had four player split screen because online gaming really takes the fun out of everything.

• Like 1

I don't know. I don't think GoldenEye would really hold up today. It's an important game to be sure, but timeless... I don't know.

45 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

I don't know. I don't think GoldenEye would really hold up today. It's an important game to be sure, but timeless... I don't know.

It's not timeless. It's still fun, but mostly because of how awful everything looks and how clunky the controls are in comparison to today's shooters. It's a great time if you're sitting down with friends and having a few drinks, or tokes, or both, or whatever you do... but I wouldn't say it's held up especially well.

I mean, there's certainly worse looking games from that era of the 64 but yeah.

One reason why I chose Eternal Darkness is because it really does hold up to me. Sure it wasn't the most graphically impressive game even then (forgivable, given that it was originally an N64 title), but what it did do well, it did very well, and still feels great to play even today. It was also in many ways a pioneering game, having pretty much codified insanity effects as well as having an innovative combat system (not many third person action games had lock-on at the time... even fewer had the ability to lock on to a body part)

8 hours ago, Stevie B said:

Realistically it's Red Dead 2. Personal experience though, the greatest game i've ever played will always be Shenmue.

Also a good answer. I actually played it for the first time recently and, apart from the horrendous yet hilarious voice acting, it still holds up.

I would legitimately say Tetris.

I first played it more than quarter of a century ago, and could still gladly play it every day now. I still get enjoyment out of it, still push myself to get better at it. And it was already an "old" game when I first played it.

Even the biggest and boldest of the recent AAA titles being discussed here, aren't going to be played in thirty years time. And if you're talking "greatest ever", you have to factor longevity into that discussion.

16 hours ago, MDK said:

Same. I was a bit put off by people saying bad things about the controls and the pacing of the game so I sort of got it a long time after it was released. Absolutely none of it dragged and I legit think that Arthur is one of the best characters in fiction in the history of gaming, certainly, but also in the wider media. And like you say, the online version is quite relaxing. I haven't really come across any other players that were giving me grief in free roam apart from one sod that lassoed me and dragged me around for a bit.

Rockstar has really taken some good anti-griefing measures too. It’s not foolproof, but waaaaay better than the beta.