NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

• 3 weeks later...

Here's LeBron completely, unequivocally kowtowing to China:

I've seen it spun that Lebron was just questioning the timing of Morey's tweet because there were NBA players in China at the time and that could have been dangerous and Morey should have waited until they were home. I could see that and maybe agree but it doesn't read like that at all to me. Also if we have to be scared for the lives of our dudes just because of one tweet maybe the NBA shouldn't be dealing with them at all?

Wasn't there also a report that Lebron had to tell Adam Silver that he needed to make a statement about it before the players did? I never knew that Lebron cared so much about NBA/China/USA relations.

That's what he's saying he meant, but what he really means is that the timing of the tweet impacted NBA teams who lost revenue from cancelled games and China blocking games on TV. LeBron then said that he, his team and the league just went through a "difficult week". Because of course the struggles of millionaires, multi-million dollar organizations and a sports league trumps the actual battle for basic human rights that the people of Hong Kong are suffering through. 

LeBron's not the only one, Steve Kerr and Pop have both been very outspoken about a ton of issues, but when it comes to this, their support of the NBA's toothless response is a huge red flag. No matter what, these millionaires do not care about actual human suffering if it affects their bottom line. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile Enes Kanter, someone who is directly affected by speaking up against an oppressive regime, has not backed down in his own convictions and is quickly overtaking everyone as the NBA is destroying its image as woke social justice defenders.

And who has expertly used LeBron's use of an MLK quote to highlight the sheer hypocrisy of what is going on.

So yeah, it just... sucks that LeBron chooses to basically tell Morey to 'shut up and dribble' and show that his quest to become a billionaire weighs more heavily than his own cultivated image of being politically outspoken. 

It's clear that ultimately, money weighs heavier on their minds than making any sort of political change happen. Or at least, it's easy to score karma shitting on Trump and his supporters because those people don't affect the NBA's bottom line, whilst stepping on China's oversized toes does significantly affect that bottom line.

• Like 2

Anybody wanting to do some predictions before the season starts tonight?

Personally, I think the championship is going to be won by somebody surprising (76ers, Nuggets, Jazz). Ginnias will repeat as MVP and get DPOY. Joe Ingles will be sixth man. Clippers won't do as good as everybody things, getting bounced early in the playoffs. Lakers and Rockets both fail to gel and barely sneak into the playoffs. Bucks run away in the East.

But Kyrie scored 50 points! Isn't he such a great player?

DeAndre Ayton is facing a 25 game suspension for a violation of the leagues anti-drug policy. Apparently he was using something to mask something in his pee.

Raps / Boston having a hell of a game right now. 

I might be wrong about the Raps this season, they might make the playoffs playing the way they are. Spicy P and Lowry have 60 points by themselves. 

Boston also crazy fun right now. Kemba is a much better fit for this team, especially with so many scorers for him to pass to in Tatum, Hayward and Jaylen. He himself is a walking bucket.